Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese clone generator  (Read 45452 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:27:52 AM »

Still do not know why some feel they must pay 4x or more for a Honda generator to be reliable. I drug out my 6 + year old 3kw 200 dollar clone that had not been used for 16 months yesterday. It still had some old gas in it too. Put fresh oil in it as I store it empty and turned on fuel and it started on 3rd pull and ran flawlessly. Load tested fine too.  Smiley

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:39:37 PM »

And why not?  These generators, like the rest of the Chinese knockoffs are partially made from parts rejected by the Japanese for quality reasons.  Could simply be that the parts were tarnished or a bit off on measurement.  Every once in a while, though, you'll come across a few that will fail because of those flaws.  Usually they'll fail at the beginning of their use and can be replaced easily by warrantee, although sometimes not.  If you want to take the chance, why not?  By all means....
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »

My Chinese Army hand-crank generator works flawlessly as well.   Roll Eyes  Of course, I get tired of putting out 15W in a very short time.  How else can one authentically "drill" EMCOMM QRP without some means to charge SLA batteries after the sun goes down.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »

I have heard the term "Chonda" used when referring to to these generators.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

My ten year old Honda still works great.  Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »

My ten year old Honda still works great.  Roll Eyes

Point is the clone cost a LOT less and can be just as reliable and I will not worry about trying to fix it is it every needs a expensive repair as I will still be big $$$ ahead even if a replace vs a Honda.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

I don't own a Honda, but my group used many of them.  Very dependable and quiet, considering 2-pole machine rotation at 3600RPM.  Is your Chonda just as quiet?  If so, what brand?  Charbor Freight?

Listened to a Honda "E" machine chugging along at about 800-1000RPM at a hamfest and was really impressed how little noise it made.  Audible noise, that is.  Should have asked the guy about radiated/conducted hash from the inverter.
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 03:33:33 AM »

where are you finding a honda class Chinese  3kw generator for $300..

typically $100 gets you the 2 cycle <1Kw generators.
You can get into the 3-4Kw generators just over the $300 mark, but you talking heavy 100lbs+ gensets

So where these also most honda class gensets for $300. Ill buy one. I can live with a little extra noise but do want the weight and power of a honda.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:40 AM »

My Champion 3500W works like a charm. And, it is much quieter that others. $300
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »

I got mine for 200 six years ago. Today 3 kW class clones can be found for around 300 at several sources. Menard's sells a powermate 3000\3750 surge for 349 every day. Theey also carry a 4 stroke powermate 1200\1500 for 219 that is very quiet and weighs about 60 lbs. Never bought a Harbor Frieght one. Mine weighs about 95 lbs without fuel and a full tank adds 25 lbs. Weight is a double edged sword in that while you want it to be easy to handle, a lot of the weight comes from alternator and cut corners here to save weight you can loose relaiblity under heavy loads and reduced reserve. Engine is next as size and design is factor in its weight too. My 3k is a well built unit because if you overload it it does bogg down but it does not pop a breaker or suffer damage from it. When you look at generators you need to pay attention to size of muffler as that will have a bearing on noise level. Mine is quieter than most.

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »

I'm not sure what the fuel efficiency is of the chinese generators are but I'll say I really enjoyed the fuel efficiency of the Honda e2000 series during Sandy. Mine burned a gallon maybe every 8 to 10 hours. I never had to stand in the long gas lines at the pump for generator fuel. Many of the bigger / inexpensive generators will burn 5 gallons every 8 hours! If the Chinese generators get similar efficiency... then it could be tempting (perhaps to keep around as a backup).
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »

They burn rate depends on size and power you use. On my 3k clone it uses about a quart of fuel a hour about a 1500 watt average load. (sometimes less than a 1000 and others well over 2000 watts). On a 4 gallon tank it gives you about 16 hours run time or basically all day expect when sleeping.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

The Honda e2000i generators use a sine wave inverter to generate extremely clean and stable power. That also allows the generator to idle down when the load is low in order to save fuel. Generators that don't use an inverter must run at full speed all the time in order to keep the frequency at 60Hz and that means you waste a lot of fuel when running at reduced loads.

What you get for your extra money with the e2000i series is lower fuel consumption and lower noise.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »

The Honda e2000i generators use a sine wave inverter to generate extremely clean and stable power. That also allows the generator to idle down when the load is low in order to save fuel. Generators that don't use an inverter must run at full speed all the time in order to keep the frequency at 60Hz and that means you waste a lot of fuel when running at reduced loads.

What you get for your extra money with the e2000i series is lower fuel consumption and lower noise.

Idle down is fine for light bulb type loads but going from idle to 2000 watts for a starting load will choke a small unit like that. Plus something else to consider is that with a constant speed motor cooling is constant too. One more thing, inverter generators have poor reserve surge capacity as well which means a bad choice for hard starting loads. They are far from perfect.

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »

Idle down is fine for light bulb type loads but going from idle to 2000 watts for a starting load will choke a small unit like that.
Really depends on the time constant of the governor circuitry.  In other words, how quickly the governor can increase DC generator output to the inverter.

Plus something else to consider is that with a constant speed motor cooling is constant too.

Not really.  Do you think that when an engine running at 3600RPM gets hit with incerased load and fuel consumption that it won't get hotter than when running under light load?  Not thermodynamically accurate.

One more thing, inverter generators have poor reserve surge capacity as well which means a bad choice for hard starting loads. They are far from perfect.
I'm sure that Honda has a maximum instantaneous demand for their e-machine models.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: