Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodge Caliber mobile installation  (Read 8077 times)
VE3ELL

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

Hello, Has anyone installed a mobile in a Dodge caliber ? What place did you run the power cord thru to the car battery and what place did you install the radio?
VE3ELL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »

I have put a mag mount antenna on the vehicle and will be using a handheld for now with small mike.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:18 AM »

General rule of thumb for running power cables is to find the large grommet on the firewall where the wiring loom from the engine bay goes through to the fuse box and send one through that.
VE3ELL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »

Thanks for that info , I will have another look and see what I can locate on the firewall. It is very crammed and may be behind some of the plastic covers.    THX Russ   VE3ELL
VE3ELL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:42 PM »

Too bad there wasn't more ham friendly vehicles made. I am selling my 1999 jeep Cherokee 4x4, that served its purpose for the past 14 years and 364000 Km faithfully as I had various rigs in it which I worked the world with. I will miss it when someone buys it from me.  Undecided        73 Russ   VE3ELL
VE3ELL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

After doing some looking under the dash and under the hood I have decided to just be satisfied with the use of a dual band handheld connected to a magmount antenna. There is a 115v 150W outlet in the vehicle if I ever want to use a power supply setup. If anyone has successfully installed a mobile radio than please let me know how you did it with pictures.  THX Russ   VE3ELL
VE3ELL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »

Good news, I have been able to run the power cable inside the driver side fender to the radio which I have mounted on the side of the shift console between the seats. There still is plenty leg room to drive safely and I do not need to reach controls. I usually use the mike controls to change frequencies. I also carry a copy of the rules in regard to the distracted driving rules here in Ontario. The fine is going up to $180 for use of a handheld device while driving. Amateur Radio use is still exempt from this law. My next project will be to find a proper mount for the ATAS 120 screwdriver antenna so I can switch  the FT857D with the FT7900 rig I use now. If the 3 feet of snow on the lawn would melt away I would be really happy, of course it is only March in Ontario. Thanks for reading 73 Russ  VE3ELL  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: