Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng UV-82: Anybody own one?  (Read 9211 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:30:58 AM »

I've noticed that Baofeng has a new radio out, the UV-82. From the limited amount of information I've read, the 82 seems to fix many of the problems that the 5R series had. I noticed that a few Ebay sellers are selling this radio with a USB cable included, and it apparently is a Baofeng cable, not an aftermarket cable like the 5R had. I plan to buy one as a Christmas present to myself, and give my 5R away. Any opinions on the 82?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »

Any opinions on the 82?

A previous discussion here:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,92857.0.html

Good info here:

UV-3r, original baofeng that had a case that knocked off the Yaesu VX-3r.  Had a harmonic TX issue. came with two single band antenna
UV-3r MKII, fixed the harmonic issue, has a dual display.  Great TX audio, comes with improved dual band antenna.
If you buy a UV-3r today, it's going to be a MKII unit.  They havn't made the orignal UV-3r in years.  Most listed don't even say MKII in the discription.
UV-3r Plus, better housing, tougher, bit larger housing.  Different battery pack that slides off
UV-5R, larger almost full size HT, 4 watts out, dual display, expanded menu and lots of options.  A bit harder to program from the front keypad, but has a actual keypad.  If you're programming a repeater pair you have to program both TX and RX.  Easy to do once you get the hang of it.  
UV-5RA, Plus, Qualette, ect, all the same radio, just different housing and LCD displays.  There is even a variant with a reverse LCD which looks cool.  Some come with a upgraded antenna that the newer units have. 409shop has piles of different UV-5r's.
UV-B5 a completely different beast, program repeater pairs just by putting in the RX freq, just like the UV-3r and most ham rigs, much better receiver, great TX audio, smaller display, simpler menu, much more amateur radio friendly.  This rig is a sleeper that most don't hear about because everyone obsesses over the UV5r.  If you're only going to get one of these, this is probably the one to get.  
UV-82.. nice unit, larger housing, larger speaker, dual PTT, you can press up or down on it to key up the A or B band.. very similar to the UV-5r in the menu system, has the upgraded antenna that comes with the UV-B5/6 models.  Different battery pack, large aluminum sink on the back.  Added a RX beep feature, other stuff that no one cares about.  

I'm still testing the UV-82 and don't have much of a verdict on it yet.  It's not blowing me out of the water or anything, but it's not a disappointment either.

I suggest you check out Han's (PD0AC) website, lots of information and real reviews of the Baofengs and other Chinese imports.

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:40:11 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:29 AM »

I'd buy from a US source. That makes you safer on warranty and TX quality.
There is a Baofeng 5R group on Yahoo that might have information.
PD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

I have two of them, both review samples. It is basically a Baofeng UV-5R in disguise.

Cons: same firmware, same awkward programming, same bugs & flaws, harmonic suppression not brilliant.

Pros: bigger case, hence better RX audio, 1 Watt extra TX power on both bands.

Full review: http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/review-baofeng-uv-82/

Hans
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

I`ve never owned any of the Baofeng ht`s,but just wanted to say I worked a guy on our local repeater that was using one. It had great audio,the best I`ve heard so far from any of these ht`s. That was with the built in mic.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:35:43 AM »

I`ve never owned any of the Baofeng ht`s,but just wanted to say I worked a guy on our local repeater that was using one. It had great audio,the best I`ve heard so far from any of these ht`s. That was with the built in mic.

Yes, Few hams here want to admit it but the Baofengs have superior audio on xmit and RX. There are 5 or 6 Baofengs on my local repeater (including mine) and they all sound great. They don't sound like HT's, they sound like a good base station.

Also the Baofeng RX audio is better that any HT I have owned. Loud and clear, I can even hear it in noisy environments.

Stan K9IUQ
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 05:46:05 AM »

I just got one and it seems pretty good. This is actually my 2nd. The first one I got stopped working the first day, so I returned it for a refund and got another one. So far, so good. Buying through Amazon was painless and quick.

I haven't run it through the wringer, but for casual use it seems to do OK. Audio is good and TX seems to get the job done as well. I'll try to get it to jump through a few more hoops this weekend to see how it fares.

Programming it with the CHIRP software is easy enough. I need to go through the options to see what they all mean. Some are obvious, others a bit more cryptic. I have to say that I LOVE how the CHIRP software downloads repeater frequencies automatically. That makes programming a snap!

For <$50, you can't go too wrong.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »

I bought the UV-B5, which apparently has different innards than the 5R series, which includes the UV-82. I got it a couple days ago. I've been charging it, and have downloaded the daily build of Chirp. I also downloaded the older driver for the Baofeng USB cable, which I already owned. I haven't had time to program the HT yet.
KD0WZW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »

I bought the UV-B5, which apparently has different innards than the 5R series, which includes the UV-82. I got it a couple days ago. I've been charging it, and have downloaded the daily build of Chirp. I also downloaded the older driver for the Baofeng USB cable, which I already owned. I haven't had time to program the HT yet.

I have a B5 as well, and Chirp took care of it without any issues.  Good radio so far (owned it about 4 months)
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »

It's a cheap radio for a cheap price.  The upgrade I recommend is to get an RH-660s telescopic antenna.  The factory rubber duck is a poor performer.  The RH-660s has better performance than a magmount according to the Miklor website's testing of 31 different antennas on the Baofeng.  I found the RH-660s elevated the Baofeng's performance considerably.

http://www.radiogearpro.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=1308

Use Miklor.com for manual programming steps.  Once you learn how to do this the task is not onerous.

If an op is interested in 2m primarily I would recommend spending an extra $100 to get the ICOM V-80.  Easy to read manual, great rubber duck antenna, a better receiver than the Baofeng and the HT is built to a tougher standard to boot.  You can also get some great emcomm situation accessories for the ICOM that aren't going to be there for the Baofeng.

Where the Baofeng wins: Having the 440 band.  Any Big Three dual band HT is going to cost lots more so if you want 440 on the cheap, it's the best deal out there for that requirement.  I don't have much 440 activity on the southern Oregon coast so going el cheapo 440 is fine for local use here.  Live in a metro area with lots of 440 going on and you may want to upgrade even with the relatively high cost differential due to the crowded RF environment potentially overwhelming the Baofeng's receiver so that carrying on operations has fewer problems.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: