Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dxing, etc. was:Contesters and rag chewers respect etiquette  (Read 3189 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »

OMG!   Last Weekends Contest Was Open World Wide..  I managed to Work Greece on 10M going South LP at 11:00am...

Everyone who wasn't in the contest was on 17 and 30M....   Madness...  Grin
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »

Bryan, should help your challenge number a bit, hey.

73 Randy AJ7G
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 03:17:26 PM »

Bryan, should help your challenge number a bit, hey.

73 Randy AJ7G

I had to look that up!   I'm new to the game - started tracking with online log around March this year.

I'm at 281 - so a long way to go.   Plugging along.  This will be my first winter paying attention to LP openings to the south.

Today I did look up CQ Marathon for the first time.   I have a respectable score with 211 right now (all 40 zones).  I don't think I can beat the couple of VK guys for Oceania award  - who did approx. 300 last year if they do it again for 2013.   That was news to me today. 

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

OMG!   Last Weekends Contest Was Open World Wide..  I managed to Work Greece on 10M going South LP at 11:00am...

Everyone who wasn't in the contest was on 17 and 30M....   Madness...  Grin

DAMN!

I really gotta get back into contesting. Unfortunately my time is so restricted now and what ever little time I get is not more more than an hour or so. Sucks!

Gotta look into those stats myself. Fear I've falling off the grid.

Hey! Glad you guys had a good time. Freaking jealous now. Propagation sounded, Siick!

73!
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »

Yes Eric, 10 meters was doing great this weekend.  Despite my limited involvement in this contest I still racked up a few Q's on the bands and managed to have a blast.  There's still a bunch more contest to come this season, better get ready!

73 Randy AJ7G
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »

I think not having the antenna array system and power I've had in the past took a bit wind out my sails. I have done well with the small setup I have now and isn't a complete discouragement but sure wish I had your setup.

Randy, how would compare your 5 el Quad in performance to the Force 12?

I Know its a bit loaded question because their at different heights which changes angle take off and such but have you had a yagi at same height long enough during a period you switched to a quad to notice any big differences?
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

You're right Eric, it's a very loaded question hi hi.  I got hooked on quads from my father in the 60's.  They're both great antennas but the big difference I've noticed is on receive, I can hear signals on the quad that I can only hear noise on the beam.  And yes, if I can hear them I can most generally work them.  For the first year the quad was up it was only elevated 35 feet up, on 3 - 10 foot rohn 25 sections plus 5 foot mast so it was a fairly even comparison.  The quad is only 3 elements though and not 5 elements.  It took a lot of honey dos, promises, over 2000 miles, and the help of 2 friends to get that used tower here.  I don't run much power but love the quad.  And yes I love contesting.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »

You're right Eric, it's a very loaded question hi hi.  I got hooked on quads from my father in the 60's.  They're both great antennas but the big difference I've noticed is on receive, I can hear signals on the quad that I can only hear noise on the beam.  And yes, if I can hear them I can most generally work them.  For the first year the quad was up it was only elevated 35 feet up, on 3 - 10 foot rohn 25 sections plus 5 foot mast so it was a fairly even comparison.  The quad is only 3 elements though and not 5 elements.  It took a lot of honey dos, promises, over 2000 miles, and the help of 2 friends to get that used tower here.  I don't run much power but love the quad.  And yes I love contesting.

Nice!

I had a 2 el. Lightening Bolt 5 band Quad up and loved it too, but never my Yagi and Quad at same time to compare. I saw the difference but with out both up at same time wasn't sure.

A 3-5 El. Quad is my goal in the future and yes, love contesting as well.

Thanks and GL!
LEON

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »

It seems like every so often after a contest someone will flock to this forum and start crying or complaining, boo-hoooooo.  I wish eHam would create a forum for "nets and ragchewers" so cry babies will have a place to go and cry to someone who gives a crap!  Misery likes company.  That way I can read post from intelligent individuals with positive comments and helpful ideas.

Randy AJ7G

----------------

Thanks for the advice.

LEON
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: