Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Elecraft T1 ATU do long wires???  (Read 3185 times)
AF8F

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »

Will the Elecraft T1 ATU do long wires, i.e. one wire thrown up into a tree, and a counterpoise on the ground?

http://www.elecraft.com/T1/T1.htm
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »

From the manual: "The T1 can be used with nearly any antenna—dipoles, verticals, whips, beams, and random-length wires."

It should be noted however that with an end-fed wire, exact multiples of 1/2 wavelength should be avoided because of the extremely high feed impedance which is difficult for the T1 to match.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »

If you want to cover most of the HF bands a wire 84 to 86 feet long will load quite nicely from
80m through 10m with some sort of ground system.  I normally use about 5 radials that are 1/8
wavelength at the lowest operating frequency and this matches fine with my T1 or the internal tuners
in my Elecraft rigs (K1, K2, KX1).  If you are only interested in 40m through 20m then a 51 foot wire
will do the job, but might require that you coil up a foot or so at the end to get a better match on 30m.
Inverted vee or inverted U configurations work fine for portable operation.

Michael VE3WMB
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:36:02 AM »

I have a 50 ft. length of wire to use with my MFJ 20/40m Cubs via the T1, works fine and have experimented with different length counterpoises in the past and found no difference so don't use them. I mostly use the wire as a slopper going directly up from the tuner.When going ultra light portable with one rig I use either a homebrew EFHW/matching unit or light wire dipole cut for freq..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: