Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New radio - very excited!  (Read 5271 times)
M6YDB

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »

So, as some of you know from my previous post I was looking at either a KW 480HX or an Icom 7200.

In the end I went to my local ham shop (lucky enough to have one but 10 minutes up the road) with the intention of buying...a Yaesu 450D. 

I had truly taken on board all the advice people had kindly given but in the UK Yaesu have a deal on certain rigs and the price was too good to miss - meant I could get a decent antenna and some other bits and bobs and it was *a lot* cheaper than the 480HX (even the 480SAT) and the 7200.

Anyway, I get to the shop and the owner had the 450 set up and waiting for me to have a play with and I actually really liked it.  Yes, the menus were a bit clunky but not as bad as I had feared from some of the reviews and comments people have made about it.  I quickly found my way around the main settings without a manual.  Sounded pretty good too.

So, just about to take one and start talking aerials and the owner said 'by the way before you buy I do have one of these.  Two months old and never been out of its box.  Some bloke ordered it and then begged me to buy it back off him as he had a big bill to pay'.

He was pointing at an absolutely mint TS 590S, mic never out of the plastic baggy and the US equivalent of $250 off and with a 12 month warranty.

So, ended up with that and the vert can wait!!

Unfortunately I have been working since and have not had chance to use it yet but trust me, this weekend its going to get some hammer...

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »

The 590 is a fantastic rig. And for God's sake just leave the mic in the bag.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »

I have an MC 60 so will be doing!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:36:01 PM »

I have an MC 60 so will be doing!

No what you need is a CW key  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »

Congrats on a very good purchase. You will always know you have a transceiver with good Rx.
Now focus on the Antenna when you have the money.
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 02:08:52 AM »

I have a pretty good dipole and I am going to work on it over the weekend to make it even better.

I want a vert though for 10-17m mainly and have some ideas in mind to get something pretty good up for a reasonable budget.

Still not had chance to play with the 590S yet but the XYL is working tomorrow so will get a good go then!
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 03:33:13 AM »

Oh and @AD9DX - I am learning code and will give it a go but I am afraid I am one of those philistines that got away with taking a license exam that a dying dog could have passed and had no code requirements  Wink
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »

Oh and @AD9DX - I am learning code and will give it a go but I am afraid I am one of those philistines that got away with taking a license exam that a dying dog could have passed and had no code requirements  Wink

You got your license and that is all that matters. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »

In the end I went to my local ham shop (lucky enough to have one but 10 minutes up the road) with the intention of buying...a Yaesu 450D. 

I just bought a used FT-450 yesterday.  Smiley See my thread on this board.

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »

I just bought a used FT-450 yesterday.  Smiley See my thread on this board.
[/quote]

Be VERY careful with that FT-450 if it has as much plastic in it as it appears that it does from the pictures! What were they thinking (If anything)with that strange readout? Trying to beat Ten Tec I guess for the ugliest rig award maybe ? LOL

Clayton
W4KVW
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »

Re: W4KVW

Since N5INP actually went and tried this rig out and bought it I suspect he saw how it was built, what it looked like and it meet his needs. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 06:11:25 AM »

Be VERY careful with that FT-450 if it has as much plastic in it as it appears that it does from the pictures! What were they thinking (If anything)with that strange readout? Trying to beat Ten Tec I guess for the ugliest rig award maybe ? LOL

Clayton
W4KVW

There's no need to be careful. It's made extremely well, the whole chassis is a two compartment solid block of aluminum. Why don't you post a pic of your radio so we can nit pick it?

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »

Well forget the vertical put up a hex beam, a high performance radio like the TS590S will be wasted on a vertical antenna even in Europe.

A hexbeam even at 10 meters of height  will give any wire or vertical a real bashing.

A nice small 500 watt PA would be a  good investment if you cant get your antenna higher than 10 meters.

Anyway 1 step at time  ham radio life is all about Db's if the investment is not Db stocks its a  bad investment.

Reminds me of the guy I worked the other day. He had a IC7800, TS990S, FT9000 and his antenna was a attic dipole.
I would have sold all the radios, the wife and bought a 70 ft tower, amplifier, hexbeam and TS590S. I would have been  ham heaven instead of ham hell!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »

Clayton
W4KVW

There's no need to be careful. It's made extremely well, the whole chassis is a two compartment solid block of aluminum. Why don't you post a pic of your radio so we can nit pick it?

I used the FT-450 for years and never had the need to open it up, but it is built like a tank on a solid die-cast chassis as you can see in their advertising literature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: