Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best ham sofware in Linux  (Read 7210 times)
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »

Which is the best ham software for Linux according to you?
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »

You didn't say what type of software you want. However, I use (or have used and like) the following:

CQRLog for casual logging
fldigi for digital modes
DX Atlas (a Windows program under WINE) because it's essential and there's no Linux equivalent
Libre Office calculator for electronics and antenna math

The Linux flavor on the shack PC right now is Xubuntu 12.04.

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=93167.msg711863#msg711863 date=1383772627
Which is the best ham software for Linux according to you?

CQRLog for logbook
Fldigi for digital modes
WSJT-X for the JT (JT65/JT9) digital modes
WSPR for weak signal propagation analysis and reporting
Audacity for sound file recording/manipulation

The entire Fl* line is good, depending upon your needs and/or interests. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »

There is entire Linux OS called "Ham Radio Linux" and of course it is free.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

Description

"This is a remastered version of Ubuntu Linux. As of version 13, there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions available, as well as an image for the PengPod 1000.

This version contains a lot of amateur radio software including Fldigi, NBEMS, Gpredict, earthtrack, xcwcp and qrq, XLog and cqrlog, flrig and grig, xnec2c, fl_moxgen, aa-analyzer, owx, VOACAP, glfer, Xastir, gqrx, gEDA, and more!

Version 14 adds GNU Radio Companion, quisk, direwolf, linamc, FreeDV, wsjt-x, and Micro-Fox 15 Config (GPL), and many updates.

This software collection uses the icewm window manager with menus customized for Amateur Radio use. It is designed to be light weight to run on older computers, while still having modern functionality.

Recommending 1GHz CPU and 512MB memory at an absolute bare minimum (gqrx will require more - about twice as much)."

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »

I installed this Andy's Linux OS.

The biggest issue is that while in the live CD I have no problem, once it is installed on the Hard Disk it simply does not recognize the sound card...
The last and the least it does not have all the features and the ergonomics of the standard Kubuntu.
I wish to use the Andy's release as it has all the software needed already installed but I cannot use it because of the sound card problem...

Description

"This is a remastered version of Ubuntu Linux. As of version 13, there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions available, as well as an image for the PengPod 1000.

This version contains a lot of amateur radio software including Fldigi, NBEMS, Gpredict, earthtrack, xcwcp and qrq, XLog and cqrlog, flrig and grig, xnec2c, fl_moxgen, aa-analyzer, owx, VOACAP, glfer, Xastir, gqrx, gEDA, and more!

Version 14 adds GNU Radio Companion, quisk, direwolf, linamc, FreeDV, wsjt-x, and Micro-Fox 15 Config (GPL), and many updates.

This software collection uses the icewm window manager with menus customized for Amateur Radio use. It is designed to be light weight to run on older computers, while still having modern functionality.

Recommending 1GHz CPU and 512MB memory at an absolute bare minimum (gqrx will require more - about twice as much)."
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »

OK... that's not exactly a plug and play OS... indeed it's more a read and play... After reading the documentation in menu I found the sound cards and started to enjoy most programs... there is a learning curve...

I installed this Andy's Linux OS.

The biggest issue is that while in the live CD I have no problem, once it is installed on the Hard Disk it simply does not recognize the sound card...
The last and the least it does not have all the features and the ergonomics of the standard Kubuntu.
I wish to use the Andy's release as it has all the software needed already installed but I cannot use it because of the sound card problem...

Description

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »

how long ago was that issue solved?, - yet it still keeps cropping up.
or any hardware, really.
- if your PC specs are much less than a 1Ghz cpu & 1Gb ram, then really, a light weight system like LXDE is in order.

it would also be prudent to stay with a mainstream O/S & simply add the required software / programs as they are needed,
rather than a specialty made O/S dedicated to Ham usage.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »

In the Release Notes in main menu Documentation there are the hints on how to solve most issues.
As for the sound card issue I did as follow

After hard drive installation
  - added my user to the group netdev (adduser <user> netdev) via the terminal
  - added my user  to the group audio (adduser <user> audio) via the terminal
  - reboot
  - aplay -l via the terminal
  - the error message had gone away and the sound cards was then detected

There are some instructions to be done via the terminal but it works. The OS is very light compared to standard OS. Kubuntu is much nicer and user friendly but this has all ham software selected and installed.

how long ago was that issue solved?, - yet it still keeps cropping up.
or any hardware, really.
- if your PC specs are much less than a 1Ghz cpu & 1Gb ram, then really, a light weight system like LXDE is in order.

it would also be prudent to stay with a mainstream O/S & simply add the required software / programs as they are needed,
rather than a specialty made O/S dedicated to Ham usage.

KB1OIQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »

Thank you, everybody, for trying Andy's Ham Radio Linux!  The software collection was intended to be a starting point to get people going with Linux and ham radio.  For those less experienced with Linux, one may need to find a Linux elmer to help.  Linux is extremely configurable but indeed there is a learning curve, just like the one you climbed while learning to use your first radio, or the first year or two of using Windoze/Mac/Android/whatever.  Be patient and you will be rewarded!

Many thanks to those that actually read the documentation!  You'd be surprised how many questions I receive that are already answered in those pages.

For those that don't care for the icewm window manager, it is rather easy to install any other window manager.  Tinkering is highly encouraged!

As with all software collections, somebody is bound to have the computer from Hell that just won't work.  If that is your situation, I am truly sorry.  If standard Ubuntu works on your computer, then Andy's Ham Radio Linux should also work equally well, but then again, these are computers we're discussing.  :-)

Have a lot of fun, and 73!

Andy (from Andy's Ham Radio Linux)
KB1OIQ
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »

Hello Andy and thanks to W4KYR as he posted the existence of your Linux CD.
In order to have a truly and complete desktop such as Kubuntu, I installed KDE desktop over the IceWM window manager that comes with your CD. Your CD works very well with KDE.

As for my preferred Ham Linux software here is my list:

1) cwdaemon to key the transmitter using the Log
2) CQRLOG for general purpose log
3) XLOG for contest log
4) Fldigi for digital modes
5) Wine to use windows programs such as cwget
6) Gpredict for SATS
7) Gqrx for cheap RTL SDR receivers
Cool Dream which I use for IFDSP demodulation of analog receivers

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: