Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entry Level Radio, is there such a thing?  (Read 2589 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »

I often see this term "entry level radio" in theses various eHam forums especially relating to questions posted by the newer hams and ask myself who decides what is entry level and what is not. Other than a meaningless non factual based opinion of an individual I fail to see the usefulness of the term and potential confusion of its use.

As far as I can see these individuals appear to think that the term is some how related to cost, number of functions/modes, manufacturer, power output, better spec sheets ect.. Does this mean an MFJ Cub is an entry level radio compared to a KX3 when the Cub users only interest is 3w or less CW only single band operation with a very small light weight rig? Does this mean that an IC-7200 is an entry level rig compared to a IC-756 Pro111 when the 7200 users only interest is casual non contest operations? Or is a vhf/uhf HT an entry level radio when a new tech's only interest is local repeater operation?

This term does nothing productive in regards to recommending a particular radio to meet an individual's operating style or needs. Until someone can enlighten me as to what the value of this term is relating to ham radio I will just file it under other meaningless Mantras such as Higher is ALWAYS better, ,Life is to short for QRP, Gotta get that SWR down to 1:1 and CW is dead, all of which I am sure is of great benefit to a new ham.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Inane drivel, no positive contribution to humanity.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »

Pitiful trolling.  Pitiful.
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »

Pitiful trolling.  Pitiful.

^^^ plus a couple of few... So right you are....
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »

Sorry boys my bad, I meant for this to be posted in the Elmer's Forum under " One of the STUPIDIST things hams say about new hams (Rant)". And your correct,one too many cups of straight black coffee.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »

Interesting observations from W1JKA. I agree with his comments. Thanks for your insightful post.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

a yaesu ft 840 might qualify
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: