Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tecsun PL880 Shows Up on Amazon  (Read 50553 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

Can be preordered now on Amazon for $149.99 for release on November 30.

http://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880-Conversion-Shortwave-Reception/dp/B00GJ51NVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384216820&sr=8-1&keywords=Tecsun+PL-880

- Full range coverage including AM/FM, Longwave & Shortwave with Single Side Band

- PLL synthesized digital dual conversion receiver with unparallelled sensitivity &  selectivity

- Single Side Band receiver with 10 Hz tuning step

- 24 hour alarm clock plus sleep timer from 0-120 minutes

- Powered by one single 18650 Li-ion rechargeable battery with built-in charger, battery included

------------------
Sync detection?  Probably not
SSB selectable bandwidth?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »

The Sync Detector on the 660 works great.

Just a heads up. I purchased a PL-660 fro Kaito on ebay for $110. The second after it arrived, they knocked the price down to $100.

Damn !

That was likely a precursor to the 880 being released.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »

Vinnie, your 660 is very well regarded. It offers air band not available on the 880.

Found this blog with new information by someone who used "a sample" of the PL-880. It sounds like a heck of a radio for $149. Here's what I've been waiting for confirmation on:

"It does have four AM bandwidths and five SSB bandwidths. The  bandwidth is displayed only
 when you press on the BW key."

I read "five SSB bandwidths" as 4 SSB and one CW. The chips are said to have minimum bandwidth capability of 1 KHz. Coupled with the stated 10 Hz tuning steps and presumed 10 Hz frequency readout, the radio could be fabulous on CW and sideband.

Four AM bandwidths would be a strong selling point. An extreme wide AM bandwidth, say 10 KHz, isn't available on some portables. But I'm just guessing. Also hard to know what a "November 30 release date" means.

http://herculodge.typepad.com/herculodge/2013/11/more-news-for-the-upcoming-tecsun-pl-880.html
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »

Vinnie, your 660 is very well regarded. It offers air band not available on the 880.

Found this blog with new information by someone who used "a sample" of the PL-880. It sounds like a heck of a radio for $149. Here's what I've been waiting for confirmation on:

"It does have four AM bandwidths and five SSB bandwidths. The  bandwidth is displayed only
 when you press on the BW key."

I read "five SSB bandwidths" as 4 SSB and one CW. The chips are said to have minimum bandwidth capability of 1 KHz. Coupled with the stated 10 Hz tuning steps and presumed 10 Hz frequency readout, the radio could be fabulous on CW and sideband.

Four AM bandwidths would be a strong selling point. An extreme wide AM bandwidth, say 10 KHz, isn't available on some portables. But I'm just guessing. Also hard to know what a "November 30 release date" means.

http://herculodge.typepad.com/herculodge/2013/11/more-news-for-the-upcoming-tecsun-pl-880.html

The bandwidths are very enticing, especially since the 660 only has wide and narrow. The PL-310 has a nice bandwidth selection that works great on AM.

I am wondering if that was the reason they left out sync detector. I wonder how AM is. I love AMBC.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:33 AM »

Bizarre. Sync or no sync?

Here's a PL880 close up from eBay seller Anon-co where buttons are labeled "SSB/SYNC" versus my photo (in post above) where they're labeled "USB/NORM  LSB/NORM."

If you scroll down their eBay listing the radio shown there doesn't have the SSB/SYNC button:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECSUN-PL-880-PLL-Multi-Conversion-AM-FM-Longwave-Shortwave-SSB-Radio-Receiver-/121218984748?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Receivers&hash=item1c3936eb2c

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »

Oh yeah! Good catch !
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »

There appears to be a bunch more secondary functions on the keypad too.

I like the dBu and dB S/N display too. Hopefully it is somewhat accurate.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »

There appears to be a bunch more secondary functions on the keypad too.

I like the dBu and dB S/N display too. Hopefully it is somewhat accurate.

My 310 has it, but not the 660. Have to say the 310 is more appealing for signal strength display.
KA7ZIS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »

Here's the manual for the new PL880....

http://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.net/templates/217539/myimages/pl880.pdf
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:41:50 AM »

Wow thanks Bob. How did you find that? I hope that link is virus free (I'm doing a scan now). Looks like that official 30 page manual was via Anon-co. Here's the key stuff for hams:

"in SW, MW, LW mode:
Press the [AM BW] button repeatedly to
select 9, 5, 3.5, 2.3 kHz AM bandwidth.

In SSB mode (with LSB/USB displayed on top of the
frequency): Press the [ AM BW] button repeatedly to select 4, 3, 2.3, 1.2,
0.5 kHz AM bandwidth."  [that seems to be a typo]

Regarding frequency readout: In one place the manual shows the frequency of "13149.06" being displayed in connection with SSB use. "06" is smaller than the KHz digits.

Sync isn't mentioned

Meter does read in dBu and dB

SSB quiescent current:  <75ma
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »

Thanks for the link to the operators manual.
While SYNC isn't mentioned, on p.21 in the 'Note' they mention that when listening to a station with 'too much' adjacent interference to place the radio in SSB mode and fine tune it? Is that insinuating a SYNC or ISB function? I would really like to try this radio.
 I have an old Sony ICF-2010 that touted the Synchronous Detector and while that function worked, it was crude and drifty. Sometimes I would just turn it off and deal with the neighboring interference. More expensive radios had an adjustable passband above or below frequency that was more usable.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »

Walt, I guess Tecsun's saying to listen on only one sideband on AM which reduces the need for sync. The radio does offer a very wide SSB bandwidth choice.

A lot more info is available from the very active Yahoo Pl-880 group which requires membership to read the posts. At least 20% of the 120 members are hams:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TecsunPL-880/info

BTW, I notice that most sellers are now charging a little more for the PL-880.

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »

Agree, but in SSB wouldn't a BFO be automatically turned on? Listening to an AM broadcast with a BFO on may make it more unintelligible.
 Listening to one sideband of an AM broadcast would have to be selecting either the above or below side of the carrier with no BFO.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »

Agree, but in SSB wouldn't a BFO be automatically turned on? Listening to an AM broadcast with a BFO on may make it more unintelligible.

Let's see. I emulated that situation with my Flex-5000 by listening on upper sideband to a local AM BCB station.

With most radios audio quality would be badly clipped by a narrow SSB filter. But the Flex allows the instant creation of custom brickwall filters by dragging and dropping the passband as shown of the panadaptor. The resulting USB with 5 kHz bandwidth sounds great. Hitting  the "AM" or "SAM" buttons that employ 10 kHz filters has virtually no effect on the sound. There's no trace of the BFO.

Ok, it sounds good, but does that do the work of a sync detector?

When I get time I'll try that experiment on a skywave SW broadcaster or, better yet for a test, a European longwave broadcaster. Flex's Sync AM really cleans up longwave AM, producing a brighter sound with less atmospheric noise.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: