Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a quiet TV!  (Read 4548 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »

I have an LG plasma HDTV which has an excellent picture, but the noise it puts out basically kicks me off HF if it's on even across the house.  Does anybody have any recommendations for a 42-48 inch HDTV that doesn't also work as a wide-band HF radio jammer?

Thanks in advance.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:36:24 AM »

I have an LG plasma HDTV which has an excellent picture, but the noise it puts out basically kicks me off HF if it's on even across the house.  Does anybody have any recommendations for a 42-48 inch HDTV that doesn't also work as a wide-band HF radio jammer?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe it's the plasma technology that's the problem. I have a small Emerson LCD TV right next to my HF radio and I don't hear any noise from it at all. You could take a portable shortwave radio into a store that has them all turned on and hold it next to each TV to make sure.  Smiley

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:48 AM »

Switch to LCD. I have 2 LCD within 5 feet of my schack, including one that is right next to the rig. I have no noise.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »

Switch to LCD. I have 2 LCD within 5 feet of my schack, including one that is right next to the rig. I have no noise.

I agree. I use a Sony LCD 32" and a Samsung 32" LED TVs as computer monitors.Neither has any effect on my radios and they are within 3-4 ft of several different rigs.

Also neither TVs are affected by legal limit transmissions.

FWIW: The Sony is a 1080i HDTV. I can see no difference between this tv and a regular computer monitor. The Samsung is a 720p HDTV and is not quite as good as the Sony. The Sony is also capable of 1920x1080 resolution. However I run both at 1366x768 resolution which is 720p HD. Both are connected to the computer thru HDMI, not the computer or VGA port.
Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:43:27 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KB7IUV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:41 AM »

I agree, LED is the way to go.  However, I have a Samsung LED that has a touch-sensitive power, channel, and volume button that was being affected by the RF causing TV to change inputs, change channels, etc.  I removed back of TV and disconnected the connector that went to this board and no issues.  I use my remote anyhow so it was not needed.  But something to watch for in general as touch-sensitive devices are easily affected by RF.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

2 years back, I dumped my beloved Sony Trinitron 36" bomber solely because of the awful noise it threw all over the bands, and replaced it with a Samsung 6300 46" LED flatscreen. This TV doesn't emit even a tiny hint of RFI. I got lucky.
I think they still sell variations of what I have in their "6" series.
That old Sony had such a nice picture for a tube screen, but it emitted gobs of RFI even when off. I had it on a switched power strip so I could kill power to it by foot to listen to radio.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

Thanks for the specific recommendations.  I am aware that the plasma TV is noisy, but my neighbor has an LCD TV that is also awful for RF.  I don't think that just any LCD TV will cut the mustard.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »

Thanks for the specific recommendations.  I am aware that the plasma TV is noisy, but my neighbor has an LCD TV that is also awful for RF.  I don't think that just any LCD TV will cut the mustard.

It might not be the TV but a device attached to it. If you can work with the neighbor, see if they have a satellite dish box or Uverse STB attached to it that might be culprit. I had Uverse and it caused bad RFI because of the noisy power bricks they used.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »

Are you sure it is that? Because LCD will almost certainly cut the mustard. I have not heard any occasion that LCD causes RF. I am sure you can find one, but the vast majority are not noisy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: