The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lithium batteries / FT-817 ?  (Read 2616 times)
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »

The internal NiMh are for short term use or receiver only and are 2500mah size (fuse added and
other safety adds like welded pack and no battery box).  I charge them externally to top them off
and use the internal charger to touch them up (6hour mode) after limited use.  The internal charger
is not a high enough rate to even hit a 12 hour charge rate its under 220ma in mine.  The NiMh are
now over 3 years old with no degradation.

What do you use for charger, connection method, etc for externally charging the Yaesu NiMh battery?

I have an FT-817 and put the Windcamp battery in it, for the limited use I have on it so far I'm pretty satisfied, but I would like to properly maintain the stock NiMh battery so it doesn't turn to junk and also be able to consider it a spare/back-up but have been unable to locate an appropriate connector to wire into a charging circuit or charger with that connector on it.

I don't like the idea of regularly swapping the battery in and out of the radio just to do a maintenance charge, so if you have found a better way, I'd be excited to hear it.
WB8LZR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »

What do you use for charger, connection method, etc for externally charging the Yaesu NiMh battery?

I have an FT-817 and put the Windcamp battery in it, for the limited use I have on it so far I'm pretty satisfied, but I would like to properly maintain the stock NiMh battery so it doesn't turn to junk and also be able to consider it a spare/back-up but have been unable to locate an appropriate connector to wire into a charging circuit or charger with that connector on it.

I don't like the idea of regularly swapping the battery in and out of the radio just to do a maintenance charge, so if you have found a better way, I'd be excited to hear it.

That 817 battery pack must not have low-self-discharge (LSD) protection.  You can purchase 2500 mAH NiMH "AA" batteries now that have the "low self discharge" tech in them, and they'll go years without any worry of top-up (unless you run them down by operating, of course).  The 817 battery is just eight "AA" NiMH cells, so it should be easy to build a replacement pack.  There could be a themistor or two in there you'd have to replace, and maybe a fuse ....

It'd be cheaper than another Windcamp, and you'd still have a low maintenance spare.  I did this with an old hand-held that used NiCD.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:18:56 PM by WB8LZR » Logged
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »

I used some li-ion batteries from a Nikon camera to replace the nicads in my vintage Icom u2AT HT.  The battery pack produces 8.4V, which is what the radio wants.   I gutted the Icom nicad battery pack and stuck the Nikon li-ion battery pack inside.  I put a 3 pin connector in place of the old charger jack, and used a cable with a mating 3 pin connector to connect to the Nikon li-ion charger.  Connect the corresponding contacts of the battery, via this connector, to the appropriate points of the charger. Connect the battery + to the contact that feeds the radio, and the - to ground.  Works well, I can even use the radio while the battery pack is being charged. 

Specifically, it was the Nikon MH-18A charger and EN-EL3 Lithium-ion battery
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »

Diagram to show it better:
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: