Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tie clip type mic for mobile?  (Read 4790 times)
EI2HPB

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:46:51 AM »

Just wondering if anyone uses a tie clip type mic or similar when mobile and if so can someone recommend a decent one? The reason for my question is that it is illegal to hold a mic of any kind in your hand while driving here in Ireland so I want something very discreet that wont attract attention. It needs to have a 3.5 mini jack end to go into the Heil adapter at the mic input of my TS480HX. I already have a very slim PTT switch ordered so I just need the mic now... I'd prefer not to go down the headset mic route unless its absolutely neccessary...

EI2HPB  Dave
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:48:55 AM »

Just one problem--who the heck even wears a tie anymore?   Grin   Shocked

(Yes, I know--you just want that type of mike!)
EI2HPB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:37 AM »

Loll too true...   Grin  yep I'm after something in that ball park, maybe I mean a lapel mic? basically something small and tidy that I can clip on, sounds reasonable and means I dont need to hold a fist mic to my mouth while mobile... I'm sure someone out there must be using one??
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »

For a while I used a visor clip motorola mic with a PTT switch on the stick shift.  Worked OK and there were no wires to get tangled up in.  Nowadays there are bluetooth solutions.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »

There are some types that are hung off your ear, have an earbud for a speaker, and the mike is on a small boom--next to your cheek.  I think there is a maker that puts these together for ham rigs, but I can't recall the name.  I'm pretty sure it isn't Heil.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »

http://www.pryme.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=71

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:17:48 AM »

Like Mark, I have used a Motorola visor mic, and remote PTT, but in my case, it picked up too much background noise.

You won't particularly like the Bluetooth units either, no matter who made them. They work passably when VOX is used, but the transfer delay from receive to transmits and back again is nearly terminal! Since you're over there, you might ask around at W&S to see if they have any of the old TalkSafe units left. Or get in contact with Fokko Vos, PA3VOS. He published a couple of articles on some home-brew ones based on the Jabro 210.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »

Thanks, Mark.  I knew I saw it somewhere. Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: