Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External speaker suggestions for TS 480  (Read 5344 times)
N4GKS

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »

Just picked up a 480 from HRO. So far I'm pleased with the rig, but I always liked an external speaker. Any suggestions other than the old SP23?
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »

I bought a busted four-channel home entertainment system. The electronics chassis was cannibalized for parts and the four speakers are used in the shack, one for each rig.

If you can't use all four then make some friends and give the spare ones away.

Tanakasan
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:00:12 AM »

Anything other than manufacturer matching speakers. I'm using Kenwood bookshelf speakers I bought at a fleamarket for £2. The TS480 has a user customisable graphic equaliser set up through the ARCP-480 rig control software so you can make the audio sound however you like it.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »

Well depends...

What you are doing with the rig? Are you base or mobile? How serious an audiophile are you? Running SSB or AM or Data modes?

I had a couple speakers while mobile for mine. I started with a cheapy under $10 little square no name thing I got at a ham fest. Worked out ok in the truck because I had a little cubby I could stick it in up front. I eventually scrounged a nice big motorola speaker (weighs a pound or two and is a square about 4" a side.) Man that thing is great. Had a much nicer and richer communications sound. Now that speaker is on the V/UHF FM rig.

For base (how I am currently using the 480) I usually use headphones or keep the 480 on digital modes. When on voice I still defer to that old square cheapy thingy and its ok but not ideal in a big space like my back of garage shack. its not strong enough or dynamic enough. I agree with using an older stereo system. You can also find many yay-emers using audio mizing boards and hi fi speaker systems for mic and speaker hook-ups (then again they really are audiophiles).

For both speaker set-ups I do tend to tinker with the audio setting menus (Trebble and Base). I can't say one combo of settings works best because it depends on the environment and your hearing abilities. It also depends on filters installed/used, use of the IF, DSP, etc.

So back to the start...what do you want to do with the rig?

N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »

Running as a base. Have it in the bedroom on a table lamp next to my big recliner. The speaker is in the rear of the control head which throws the audio backward. Nothing like watching football and listening to 40.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:15:14 AM by N4GKS » Logged
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »

I use a Voicemaster which is sold on eBay. Very nice external speaker for base use. Rich sound. I'm very pleased.
Phil
K1PJR
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »

I really like the ClearSpeech speakers& inline modules.They make even a DSP rig even better. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »

I use speakers from old small book shelf stereo systems. And or surround sound system. Ham speakers are over priced and not very good. Save some cash. You may be surprised how well the free or inexpensive ones perform.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: