Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base station speakers?  (Read 38313 times)
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

An inexpensive powered studio monitor speaker will do the trick. The powered speaker will remedy the anemic transceiver audio power output dilemma.

KJ6HZ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »

I've found that Bob Heil's recommendations on HamNation regarding getting a $50 audio mixer and the JBL Monitors to be very good advice for the shack.

Good luck!

Frank
K4FMH

In case anyone wants to watch it, see Ham Nation episode 36, minutes 42-60.

John
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 05:33:14 AM »

John,

Thanks for the link.  Very good video and now I finally understand the difference between balanced and unbalanced audio and how to wire it.

Everyone out to watch this video.

Thanks again,

Hal
W5ZZT
WO9G

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »

Here's another vote for the two-way Optimus (Radio Shack) speaker.  The model I'm using is the Pro 77 version.
It sounds great as is because this is more of a bottom end speaker.  I suppose if the high end bothers you with
too much noise you could either tweak the built in crossover or disconnect the tweeter entirely.

Here are the specs:
Frequency Response............................................50-20,000 Hz

Power Capacity..............................70 Watts (Music Power Maximum)

Impedance...........................................................8 Ohms

Speaker Complement..............5 Inches (12.7 cm) High-Compliance Woofer,
                                              1 Inch (2.5 cm) Dome Tweeter
                                           Extended-Range, High-Compliance

Enclosure........................................Die Cast Aluminum Cabinet

Dimensions...................................8 5/8 x 5 1/2 x 4 9/16 Inches
                                               (21.8 x 14 x 11.6 cm) (HWD)

Weight....................................................5.5 Lbs (2.5 kg)

True high technology is indistinguishable from magic.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 05:31:45 AM »

I have two speakers hooked up to my K3, but when the "real" listening comes to play, the only thing that will do is headphones.
Same here at K8AG

JP
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 05:24:54 PM »

I have a huge speaker (and headphone) collection. Go to your local thrift store and buy a 'surround sound' center speaker. These are usually kinda longish but not very tall. You won't believe the sound and usually the price is right! I have several brands and the Sonys sound great!!!

ron
N4UE
KK4CRY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-C2PS-Control-Comapact-Powered/dp/B001EDVB14
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »

Another thing you can do is to salvage the midrange speaker from broken 3 way speaker units.  Of course, that requires you to mount that speaker in some sort of enclosure, but the midrange speakers are exactly what you need for good voice reproduction.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »

I use AR 4s with the brightness conntrol turned down, and my main radio HAS a tone control and a 5 watt audio output chip.   Ya see, a good "hi fi" speaker is LOW DISTORTION as well as wide range.  You don't need the wide range but the low distortion is important especially these days when many radios transmit clean ssb and receiver detectors  and AGC are so much improved.  (Although all that "audio chain" dorking around doesn't always help)  My good old R70 has a "tape out" right from the detector which when run through a 5 watt audio amp sounds far better than the internal speaker - front facing though it is. 
Keep in mind that the audio which a receiver produces is affected by the filter bandwidth and also by whatever rolloff is built into the audio amplifier.  When I plug a set of Seinheiser phones into my Yaesu and zero carrier the low frequency response is "interesting". 
Until the early 80s receiver builders like Drake rolled off the low end audio on purpose.  They claimed it "improved" readability and it allowed them to skimp on power supply filtering.  Many R4Cs have had their entire audio chain after the detectors replaced with 3 to 5 watt chip based systems which can be tucked behing the AF gain control.  The R4 B and A can benefit from increased coupling cap values and an additional filter capacitor just for the audio board.  In fact the entire  multisection filter cap in the radio has probably dried out and needs replacing by now.  New electrolytics are so small you can tuck them almose anywhere.   Same for the S Line receivers. 
The Drake MS 4 is a good speaker, IF you tape up the slots in the bottom and fill the box with "speaker damping fill" - which places like Parts Express sell.  Also helps with the Collins S line speaker even though the box is perforated.  It seems external speakers are a "profit center" for radio makers and you get a 2 dollar drive in a 100 dollar box.  Since most radio speakers are the size of car audio speakers there are plenty of good quality car audio upgrade speakers out there.  They can make quite a difference.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »

Perfect speakers and the typical ham transceiver has a audio PA section  with  20% distortion and the receiver is full of inband IMD.

Then you have ESSB stations trying to EQ mics and EQ the other stations poor receiver, the comedy shows goes on.

There are number of perfectionist in the audio community trying to get away from the "voodoo" science in the audio world and are
designing and discussing  all aspects of good audio quality from a technical design  perspective. They doing this not from an emotional
audiophool perspective. Many of the issues and problems are the same when applied to  receiver designs and in particular  the audio section of
the receiver. You can read about it on this link. As you can you see they discussing objective audio measuring and design.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.nl/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html

When we have the same level of design perfection in ham receiver RX audio chains then we can maybe talk about good  audio quality.
For the moment we kidding ourselves expecting perfection to come out of the speakers of the typical ham receiver. We dont have one ham radio transceiver
on the market that has a decent audio amplifier  or  headphone section that is free of distortion and IMD. Like ESSB you wasting your money on anything more than a motorola mobile speaker. This is easy to prove but the hams with the golden ears want you to believe their voodoo nonsense. Like the objective audio guys you have to put your money where your ears are and back your claims with measured data.
KC6RCM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »

Palstar, SP30 H speaker...  very nice.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »

Perfect speakers and the typical ham transceiver has a audio PA section  with  20% distortion and the receiver is full of inband IMD.

Where are you getting this?  Anyway a powered speaker will be driven at line level, so the audio PA isn't an issue.

Do you have any links to amateur transceiver audio PA results or is this just another authoritive sounding rant backed by hot air?
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »

Look at your manual and you should find the audio distortion specs. They are bad.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

Look at your manual and you should find the audio distortion specs. They are bad.

Just looked at my manuals for my KX3, VX3 and VX8 and there are no audio distortion specs.  Which receivers' manuals have these specs?
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »

Here's 1. WOW now they stopped audio specs!

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0355spec.html
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: