Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base station speakers?  (Read 32350 times)
W5ZZT

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »

I just ordered a Yaesu FTDX-1200 and need to get some kind of external speaker.  Not really sure what to get.  I have one of the Sweet Sound speakers that I do not use because I never was impressed with it's audio and it's just too big.

I looked at the reviews on eham and really didn't see any clear winner of current speakers.

So what is your favorite speaker for fixed station use?

Thanks for any info.

Harold
W5ZZT
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:45:19 AM »

I am not an audiophile, after using several larger and some name brand external  speakers for my IC-7200 I found the best (for my ears) to be a small 4 in. dia. pair of power amplified POLK computer speakers with vol/tone control that I picked up at Good Will for $5.00, still prefer earphones for CW.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »

The only speakers I ever use are small ones that are installed in my headphones. Smiley

Once you get used to good headphones it's almost impossible to go "back" to any kind of speaker.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »

I have two speakers hooked up to my K3, but when the "real" listening comes to play, the only thing that will do is headphones.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »

I couldn't agree more with the headphones comments!

John AF5CC
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

I couldn't agree more with the headphones comments!

John AF5CC

And if you run a powerful amp with an equally powerful fan, noise canceling headphones are hard to beat.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »

Harold, since you specified speakers, I'll stick to that question, although I also use a Heil headset or, at times, Bose noise-canceling headphones.

I've found that Bob Heil's recommendations on HamNation regarding getting a $50 audio mixer and the JBL Monitors to be very good advice for the shack. I've used Bose and $14 HP amplified speakers too. But the JBL's can be had on eBay (I bought two sets for my U-shaped shack space) for not much...and aren't too expensive if purchased new at a reputable online discounter.

See the HamNation website and go back a few episodes for the details. You might do something that works as well but this will too.

Good luck!

Frank
K4FMH
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »

I use a Polk bookshelf speaker in my shack.  They were on sale at Best Buy couple years ago for $50/pair.  It made it much easier to copy weak signals compared to the stock speakers.

N8YQX
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »

I read the reviews on eham and set out on a quest to find the Optimus Pro-X33AV.  I found 2 new on ebay and all I can saw is WOW!

I have had a lot of speakers over the years and this is the best quality audio I have ever had from a speaker.  And it's fairly small also. 

I also have a nice pair of Sony headphones that I like.

Thanks for all the comments.

Harold
KD5UVV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in on this. To Harold, W5ZZT I ran one of the Optimus Pro-X33AV for a few years and thought I had found the speaker I would keep, Then I read about the Optimus Pro CS-5 and decided to give it a try, "WOW" this thing sounds wonderful! I absolutely love the sound out of this thing. Warning.... this speaker is huge! So keep that in mind. This is my keeper here.

This speaker is designed to be used as a center channel speaker in a home entertainment system. It's also RF shielded.  I have one that has RCA badge on the cover but it's the identical same speaker, has the made for Radio Shack sticker on the back and all just under RCA branding. Take my word and treat yourself to the sound of this speaker, you won't be disappointed. I guarantee it.

Dale KD5UVV
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »

I opine that you do not want a "hi fi" speaker for CW or phone anyway.  Voice range on SSB does not go that high, so why do you want something that will pass along alot of high frequency noise/garbage with unerring fidelity?  However having a good low end response can be pleasing on good voice comms when conditions are good, and the signals are stronger.  Not real deep bass, that can merely enhance AC hum if there is any. Some of the larger (not huge) vintage ham speakers having a nice 5X7 or even 6X9 oval speaker can sound nice with your radio.  LIke the matching speaker for the FT-101's or others of that era or earlier.  Something that can enhance the lower registers of the voice range.  Note that some solid state radios seem to strain at even a couple watts of audio output, though, and may not sound so clean with a big or less efficient speaker. I think that modern ham rigs should put out at least a clean 5 Watts of audio without pushing too hard, something rarely found these days in the spec sheets. I sometimes use headphones too, but for casual QSO's in normal situations,they seem an nuisance and a throwback.  They have their place, for sure. 
KD5UVV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »

Well as I said, I have both, the Optimus Pro-X33AV and the a CS-5 so I have compared them and the CS-5 lets you clearly hear better in my opionion. I can hear a weak station or a station surrounded by much stronger signals clearer with the CS-5, hands down.

And it does not let in a lot of useless highs, it's very well balanced. Now this is from what I hear from the speaker. I have them both.

This is something you would have to hear and compare yourself with "both speakers"
But to me, and I have them both, the CS-5 blows the Optimus Pro-X33AV away. And that's after I have used the Optimus Pro-X33AV for close to 2 years.

Dale, KD5UVV
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »

People use speakers on HF? Hmmmm.... Didn't know that.
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »

Dale,

I'll take a look at that speaker but I really don't think for the size I will find a better speaker than the 33. I really like it. Don't really want a big speaker but if it really sounds that much better then I can find a place for it.

As far as speaker vs. headphones that is another discussion.  I do use headphones also but the wife and granddaughter keep sneaking up on me and scaring the heck out of me.

Harold
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

I do use headphones also but the wife and granddaughter keep sneaking up on me and scaring the heck out of me.

Put a mirror on the wall behind your rig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: