Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding Air Quality (dust, CO, NO2, etc) and Sound Pollution to APRS  (Read 8884 times)
KK6GNP

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »

I was watching some Make videos this week about hacking off-the-shelf sensors to build an Ardunio based air quality unit that measures things like carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide gas concentrations.  I'm starting to learn about APRS and want to put up a weather station, so I immediately though these measurements could be neat to add to APRS stations.

http://blog.arduino.cc/2013/05/09/diy-air-quality-sensing-from-habitatmap-and-sonoma-tech/

One of the videos I saw yesterday (Google Hangout for Make) also showed a dust/particle censor being applied to this idea.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »

All good applications! Pretty much any kind of sensor could be connected via APRS telemetry.

Sound-pressure sensors around airports would be interesting, especially if they send their peak readings immediately after each jet passes overhead.
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »

Sure, why not!? 

A local ham recently wrote an article in our club newsletter about using river level telemetry in an ECOMM application.  If you can convert the signals to digital and have the software to display it, data is data and can certainly be put on an APRS stream.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
KG7FEJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »

I am looking to do the same.  I have an e-book from make magazine which has environmental sensors plugging in the data to an arduino, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than what I use at work. I recently bought a temp/barometric sensor from an electronics store on ebay. Gas sensors are a pita however. Good ones are electrochemical based and have a life of one year or so.  Not to mention expensive.  The gas sensors mentioned in make are not as accurate due to being general purpose. 

Keep us in the loop!

Chris
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »

If you shoot an email to Bob Bruninga he might just add these fields to the official spec.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: