Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From Contact to Ragchewing  (Read 14446 times)
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »

I started getting serious about CW ops when I started DX-ing about 4 years ago. That was the primary motivation to pick up my speed to something useful.
The 10 WPM AOCP code test was a distant memory (1981), and that speed is difficult to hold a conversation.
After many short DX exchanges, my speed picked up and I actually started enjoying the code, rather than just enduring it. Now my preference is a nice chat.
Thanks for the tips above, they are very helpful. The comment on redundancy is one I'll work on.
I try not to copy everything as it is sent, just points of information, and just let the rest flow. Remember, this a hobby for our enjoyment. We are not required to accurately copy down everything sent, that sounds like a job!
There is always a pencil and paper in front of me when I am operating, to scribble down notes.
Over the weekend, I played a bit in the ARRL 10 m Contest. It was an exercise in copying down callsigns and serial number exchanges, often at high speed. The last number I handed out was "035" or "T35" in the cut numbers format, so I was not aiming for a big score, just a few new states and countries on 10 m. Besides, it was too nice and sunny out, to sit in front of the radio all day!
73 and enjoy the code,
Luke VK3HJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: