Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-830S Mic Gain  (Read 27720 times)
GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:53 AM »

Hi Terry. Well the consensus of opinion seems to be the rig is working just fine, in regard to TX output and SSB modulation with the MC-50 mic.
My next move is to try my Behringer mic amp/mixer in line with the MC-50. As this is really designed for low impedance mics, with low imp output, I am sure this will have a fairly drastic impact on the overall audio response. However, if it allows me to use the desk mic at a more comfortable distance, without overdriving the mic audio chain, then I can live with that, albeit without getting my usual "great Kenwood audio" reports !!!!
Watch this space !
Dave
KD2DYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »

Very good Dave....... That Yahoo group will tear into your issue......Watch out....... LOL!   Not to worry. They may come across rather "strong" but they are trying  to thread down to the root problem. They WILL ask what kind of test gear you possess.Again, that will help them know what you can and cannot check out with the gear at your disposal. I would be great if it is just a simple calibration issue with the ALC meter read (as per previous posting)...
Good luck,again Dave....... Just believe in the old girl and she will settle down. (I AM speaking about your 830s of course .LOL)

very best of 73's.
                                                                                                                    Mike KD2DYY

GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:02 PM »

OK Mike. Just made my first post to group Grin
Let's see what the "experts" say....
Dave
GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:12 AM »

OK. Consensus from "experts" is that my TS-830S, together with my MC-50 mic, is 100% ok. It seems that this mic is not ideal for use at distances greater than 4ins from the face !! Using the rigs built in processor, set at around 8 - 10dB compression, will overcome the mic distance problem to some extent, without any great deterioration in audio quality.
Suggestions varied from "get a different mic" to "build a pre-amp into the base of mic". I am considering the latter option.
Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

Regards

Dave
KD2DYY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »

Good news Dave...... I oNLY use PTT hand mics.... I don't like trying to keep my mouth close to desk mics.... Only problem I have is keeping the push button down while I take a long turn in the QSO. LOL! Guess I'll have to look into a lock "on" for the PTT button. I'm sure they are available...
Oh, before I forget.... Try to locate a fellow Amateur that has a "Flex" radio and can analyze your audio on the spectrum they have at thier disposal... I have a good friend over here in the Syracuse NY area that has one and he was kind enough to lead me in the proper setting of the "gain" and "processor"  control that made it spot on..... I now know exactly where the controls should be set... Keep in mind that a change of mics will require a new analysis...
Those "Flex" radios are wonderful but I don't have the $$$$ to ,even, think about that step up.... I love the old Hybrids so no heavy lusting at this point. LOL!
Hope to meet you on the air in near future. I love 17M .... 40M has always been my favorite but the dx on 17 is amazing..
I can get on 20m and 15M as well. All with separate dipoles... I love to throw wires over the house. (XYL does NOT)

Best of 73's Dave,
                                                                                                                         Mike-KD2DYY
GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »

Hi Mike. OK on "Flex" analysis. I do have a very good friend with the set-up required, about 35mls to the North of me, on another Scottish island. He has in the past played back my transmissions, usually on 40mtrs, when short skip was good.
Still to do some experiments ref the MC-50 and TS830S set-up, starting with using an external mic pre-amp (voltage gain around x3 or x4 but variable) between rig and mic. I think all I am really looking for is a bit of headroom in regard to mic gain setting while talking at 8 - 10ins from mic. I can 'scope audio sig levels, to ensure no clipping/overdriving into rig audio stages.
Depending on success of these tests, I may build a pre-amp into the base of mic stand. I have already designed this and have all components required. May give the mic a small boost at the higher frequencies 1 - 2.5 KHz with my design, as reports so far seem to indicate this may improve the already good reports I get, albeit close talking the mic!
Maybe catch you on 17mtrs some time. Perhaps we can make a sked! I will be more active during the coming winter months, but only running around 100w to a big doublet.

Regards
Dave de GM8UPI/P
(Operating most of time from Scottish island of Skye.)
KD2DYY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »

More good news Dave...... You seem to have the answers you need. You have to get into the PTT mics..... LOL! No problem with pre amps or any of that..... Oh well, you KNOW what you like......
ok on 17M.. Love that band and was just listening to it. No skip tonight.  It is 2030 in Syracuse NY. 130 am your time. Bet you are sleeping...
If you do get on 17M what frequency do you like and your most likely time.... ? If my little 830s with 100 watts won't make the trip.. I can fire up the old SB200... That gives my 650 plus.
Ok, I will be looking for you...... Hang in there Dave...... Best is yet to come.

Best of 73's
                                                                                                                   Your friend
                                                                                                                    Mike-KD2DYY
G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 04:43:39 AM »

Regarding using the processor on the Kenwoods; I have 4 of the beauties here, 520; 530; and 2 - 830s. I've been using them since I was licenced in 1974.  I ALWAYS use the processor, having been old by many OPs that it greatly improves the readability of the signal.  However that is not to say that the signal was not readable in the first place.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
K7WXK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »

Dave,

Glad to hear your rig is clean and the problem is likely in the desk mic.  At the risk of muddying the waters, I have a Yaesu FT-990 and the factory MD-1 desk mic, and I must admit it doesn't sound nearly as good as when I use it with my old D-104 (high impedance) mic that I bought new back in the '60's.  Although I would very much like for the factory mic to perform well, it is only average at best.  I mostly use the D-104 with my "boat anchor" rigs and it consistently out-drives all the other classic (high impedance) Electro-voice mics in the shack.  I can't explain it, but it just works very well.

What I am trying to say is the venerable D-104 is a great performer in a variety of high and even low impedance requirements with lots of punch in either case.  They are inexpensive and they feel good in the hand.  I would think the 830 would be a great candidate for this mic.  JMHO.  Good luck.

Marc
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:51:34 AM by K7WXK » Logged
GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »

Hi Marc. ok on your mic experiences. Still experimenting here. Certainly on my TR-830S, without using the inbuilt processor, my MC-50 mic lacks the level of drive that I want, when speaking 8 - 10ins from the element. Not really a big problem as, others have stated, this rig / mic combination works really well, with the processor on at approx. 10dB compression. By others experience, it seems that the MC-50 is really a "close speaking" mic, presumably due to low sensitivity (ie Output v Sound Pressure).
I have several other mics, although these are all lowish impedance. I will be experimenting with these, combined with a mic imp adapter, and a preamp.
I did have a Shure 444 mic some years, but I regrettably gave it away without realising it's potential Angry Angry
Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: