Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long periods QRT  (Read 9254 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »

started off as a 2 meter tech in 1978 and went off the air, still a tech in 1984 or so, got back on in 2001. ham radio is more fun when you have $$$.  In the past I had to save up to buy coax, now I don't, yea.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »

Between 1982 and 2012, I never touched a mike or a key. Any other hams here get back on after long periods away?

73, wx2s.

I got my Novice in late 1976 at age 14, upgraded to General and Avdanced in 1977, then got a driver's license and girlfriend in 1978 and moved to a house with no trees (poor man's tower) and went QRT till 2008 (except for a few misc. times operating a college station. etc.)

3 decades later it was nice to see code alive and strong -- and getting back on a straight key was like getting back on a bicycle: piece of cake
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »

WX2S. I've got you beat:  QRT from 1970 until 2010, 40 years. Got my novice as a 15-year-old in New Jersey in '67.  Back then it was only a one year non-renewable license: it was upgrade or go off the air.  I studied for my General and made the trek to Manhattan to sweat out the test under the scrutiny and cigar smoke of Charlie Finkleman. 

A year later, I was back to take my Advanced license.  But by then I had discovered a new and more fascinating hobby: Girls!  And back then nothing, I mean NOTHING, was as nerdy as being a ham radio operator.  So I dumped ham radio like a hot potato and went after the ladies.  My hard-won Advanced license went unused and eventually expired unnoticed in 1974.

Fast forward to around 2009.  Married, with a high-school daughter who loves math and science.  Inspired by her dedication, I pulled out my old TutorText "Introduction to Electronics" from 1966.  Then I did a quick study of the Technician exam guide and take the test in October.  I studied the General exam guide and take that in December.  At that exam, one ham was going for his Extra Class license.  He failed the first exam and was given another (Charlie would be spinning in his grave).  When he passed, the VE's made a big deal of it and made it into a little ceremony- everyone clapped.  I felt a little tug of inspiration.

After I passed my General exam, the VE there asked if I'd like to try the Extra.  I said: "but I haven't even studied".  He replied "So what.  You already paid your exam fee.  It won't cost you anything to try it".  So I went ahead and failed; but I got 50% correct.  I figured with some studying, maybe the Extra was within my reach.

In February 2010, I was sitting in the unheated garage of a VE with the garage door open and rain pouring down, taking my Extra exam.  I passed, completing the trifecta without getting on the air once.  In late March I had my station finally put together and was back on the air as, I like to say, a Novice Extra.

So 40 years officially QRT.  Oh, and since returning to the air I've been CW only.  So much for eliminating the code requirement.

Bill in Pasadena
NK6Q
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »

to all of us old retreads.... welcome home
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »

My first divorce took me out of the hobby. My second divorce put me back on the air. No more marriages here. My whole house is kinda like my radio shack now. If i wana run a coax down the hall to the bathroom, I CAN! Grin
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »

WW:  After 2 divorces you can still afford coax???   Roll Eyes
W5CBO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »

Licensed in 1976 and very active until 1995 then out until 2005. Been having a blast since. The hobby never gets old,life just gets in the way sometimes.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »

At the age of 29, I met a very nice 16 year old  - at the radio club. She had her full callsign then (Theory plus code) So 30+ years of marriage later, no argument about buying towers, beams, spectrum analysers, lathe, amplifier etc. - and making the living room the operating shack!

That approach gets away from the problem of ham radio leading to divorce.....
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: