Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rx on R-75 vs IC-718  (Read 4054 times)
DAVER

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »

So I'm in a goofy situation where Im essentially looking to build a receiving station for the time being. The chance of being able transmit again is not out of the question, just not for now, at the new house.

I've always wanted an r-75. But considering that the 718 is essentially the same price (give or take) I'm considering just getting one of those instead. But how is the receiver compared to the 75? I've seen random posts about this but seems like all of the information contradicted each other. I'm talking stock. I would probably add a CW filter to either one down the road, but that's another story.

Also, if I did buy used what should I be on the lookout for for either model?

Thanks and 73,
Dave KD2AKC
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »

There is no difference and they just about equal looking at the performance numbers. If you want a high performance shortwave receiver get yourself a Perseus or Winradio G31 DDC or some other direct sampling receiver.

If you are planning to transmit then you should consider buying a good transceiver like the  K3, TS590s or FT5000. If you want a radio with a good receiver and a good price  that delivers very good performance look at the Ten Tec Eagle. The Eagle has a very good receiver and the noise blanker works very well.  It also has good audio quality.

Since you dont state whether you are doing  shortwave, utility  or MW DXing its hard to know what would suit  you. You mention CW and   if you are a serious CW operator I would chose one of the better CW radios. The 3 that come to mind are  K3, TS590S,  and Eagle. They work well on CW however nothing beats a direct sampling radio with bandscope for receiving CW. Direct sampling receivers with their low phase noise performance excel at weak signal CW reception. The lack of audio distortion makes them a pleasure to use on CW.

If you want  the ultimate shortwave receiver you can buy the Rohde & Schwarz EB510 or one of their other HF receiver. You dont like it I will by it off you for $5 dollars and give you all my other ham transceivers! You can even have my wife for that Rohde receiver haha!
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »

Easy there... I have a navy income to work with here. I'm looking much more toward the 718 or 75 price point than the loaded k3 price point  Wink

I had a softrock ensemble 2 which kicked ass when hooked to a top tier sound card and a top tier computer (and antenna). But i enjoy knobs and buttons! To be honest the commradio cr-1 looks intresting. I know it lacks in performance in certain regards but the portability is nice looking. I enjoy building filters and antennas so it seams like the cr-1 would play in to that nicely. Not enough info on it though to buy one.

Also, what's with the r-75 02, 12, 22 series? What's the difference?
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »

You might want to take a good look at the IC-7200. Filters for the 718 are not cheap.

Todd
AD7VB
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »

You might want to take a good look at the IC-7200. Filters for the 718 are not cheap.

Todd
AD7VB

The 7200 is a good radio.  And it looks great. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »

What do you think a decent used 7200 would run?
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »

The 7200 doesn't do FM, so it technically is not "all-mode" for the frequency coverage it provides. So, no 10m or 6m repeaters, no FM simplex. It has only 6kHz audio bandwidth on AM. Not awesome for SWL, unless you are just digging for DX. Narrow AM audio can be very fatiguing. Maybe you're not interested in SWL, though..

It is a great looking piece of gear, and nicely laid out. The DSP is very good according to reviews. It would probably serve you well as a HF communications receiver.

AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »

7200's are on sale new for $899 at HRO with free shipping.

A quick search on QRZ shows prices from $700 to more than the new price.

Todd
AD7VB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: