Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Toyota Cienna Little Tarheel mounting  (Read 8376 times)
K2GWK

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »

I have been a ham for a little while and never had anything more in my company car than a 2m/70cm rig with a magnetic mount antenna. I am spending more and more time in the company car for work and would like to put an HF rig in the mini-van. After being married for 35 years and getting bupkiss, all of a sudden the XYL has gotten a wild hair up her bum and is bugging me for what I want for Christmas, so it is a good time to start thinking about a HF rig for the Minivan to make up for all those years of getting nada. I chose the Mini-Van because I sell RF and microwave test and measurement equipment for a living and it is easier when carrying around equipment for demos, but I realized after the fact that it is not the optimal vehicle for mounting a HF antenna. Because it is a company car and not owned by me, I can't drill holes, so does anyone have any suggestions for mounting an antenna like the Little Tarheel on a 2013 Toyota Cienna? Thanks guys in advance.

Guy (K2GWK)

K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:40:31 AM »

Maybe a trailer-hitch mount or a roof-rack mount? (assuming your car as one of those). After that, I'm stumped, because the Sienna vans are pretty clean, so there's not too many places to mount something heavy. If it doesn't have one, a bolt-in trailer hitch isn't too expensive and can be removed easy-enough.
N1INV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »

here is what i did,i have a home brew on the rack on the roof.....i moved the carry rack on the roof ,so that the racks would be approxiamately 12 inches apart,then i made a bracket for it....went to a local hardware store........and bolted it ,to the bracket attached to the rack on the roof..........
     1 use u bolts to bolt backet to roof Rack....( center of Roof)
      2.buy a pipe flange and screw the flange into the bottom of the tarheel,with assorted nipples....got that?
      3.next run your wire.....
       4. get a template of the drivers seat front bolt,unbolt it........and then bolt the pvc and other parts to the right front seat bolt that holds the front seat in place.....and waalaaa,its done front,than get some 3/4 pvc tubung and mount the head of the radio,like i did.and when you go to sell the sienna all you need to do is unbolt everything  i AM GOING BACK TO fLA ON THE 3RD OF DEC.......IF YOU NEED MORE INFO CONTACT ME  VIA THE ARRL
     N1INV@ARRL.NET.......I'll try to send you some pics ......
 Wink
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »

here is what i did,i have a home brew on the rack on the roof.....i moved the carry rack on the roof ,so that the racks would be approxiamately 12 inches apart,then i made a bracket for it....went to a local hardware store........and bolted it ,to the bracket attached to the rack on the roof..........
     1 use u bolts to bolt backet to roof Rack....( center of Roof)
      2.buy a pipe flange and screw the flange into the bottom of the tarheel,with assorted nipples....got that?
      3.next run your wire.....
       4. get a template of the drivers seat front bolt,unbolt it........and then bolt the pvc and other parts to the right front seat bolt that holds the front seat in place.....and waalaaa,its done front,than get some 3/4 pvc tubung and mount the head of the radio,like i did.and when you go to sell the sienna all you need to do is unbolt everything  i AM GOING BACK TO fLA ON THE 3RD OF DEC.......IF YOU NEED MORE INFO CONTACT ME  VIA THE ARRL
     N1INV@ARRL.NET.......I'll try to send you some pics ......
 Wink

Thank you very much! I would appreciate a couple of pictures if it is not too much trouble. I hope you have a safe trip back to Florida.

Guy (K2GWK)

N7TEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »

Guy,

Go to Tarheel.com and look at the mounts and that would give you a good idea of what is out there and what can be made to mount the antenna.

Dave
N7TEE
WA2LLN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »

I don't know the Sienna ... but the Tarheel is a standard 3/8-24 thread mount, I think.  Look at Breedlove Machine, https://breedlovemounts.com.  He makes a #072 ball mount that is very stout, and can be ordered with a slot for screwdriver antenna control wires.  You'd need to find a flat enough spot for it, and it requires 5 holes.  There is a photo of it installed on what appears to be a minivan or SUV on his website home page.

I am using a Breedlove #072 mount without the control wire slot in on my Kia minivan, behind the rear window and just above a crease in the sheet metal which makes that a pretty stiff location.  I am very satisfied with it, using fixed-tuned antennas (Hustler center loaded antennas and plain SS whips).

--
Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: