Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7410 and RTTY  (Read 5940 times)
AB1A

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »

Has anyone got the IC-7410 to transmit on RTTY using the USB interface. I have tried both DX Lab Winwarbler and MMTTY. Receive RTTY fine but will not transmit (diddle) other than tone. If someone has got this working, and it seems like it should, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks, Dick AB1A
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

You can only do AFSK (Audio FSK) RTTY through the USB connection. Also, the rig has to be in USB or LSB mode so you won't get the benefit of the dedicated RTTY features like Twin Peak Filtering. If you want to use FSK RTTY and be able to use the RTTY features, you have to use the ACC port. I use MMTTY in FSK mode and it works great!

To do this, I put in a dual serial card in my PC so I wouldn't have to mess with those screwy USB-to-serial converters. Since you can't do CW through the USB connection either, I use the other serial port for CW.

Confused yet?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:28:00 PM by N0IU » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »

As I understand it, the 7410 has a built-in sound card which you access via the USB port. You have to set your computer software to use that sound card, which means (as N0IU said) that you can only run AFSK from the radio in SSB mode.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

Has anyone got the IC-7410 to transmit on RTTY using the USB interface. I have tried both DX Lab Winwarbler and MMTTY. Receive RTTY fine but will not transmit (diddle) other than tone. If someone has got this working, and it seems like it should, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks, Dick AB1A

As AA4PB and N0IU have pointed out, the IC-7410's built-in USB port is limited to AFSK RTTY operation. FSK RTTY operation would require a serial port (or USB-to-serial-port adaptor) with a simple one-transistor interface.

Step-by-step instructions for configuring your IC-7410 and WinWarbler are available via

"Connecting an Icom IC-7100, Icom IC-7200, IC-7410, IC-7600, or IC-9100 to your PC"

and

"Configuring WinWarbler for RTTY Operation"

If this doesn't get you going, let me know via aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:41:23 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:39:08 AM »

And to further clarify, you still need the USB connection to get the audio from your radio into the computer.

As far as the keying interface, the simple interface will definitely work, but I went a little "fancier" with the W3YY interface kit. It works on exactly the same theory but it uses opto-isolators so there is no direct electrical connection between the rig and the computer. The kit comes with all the components, but you need to supply the cables. You can use the DIN pigtail that comes with the rig, but I bought a longer one from either Mouser (I think?) or Digi-Key and I still have a bunch of serial cables in my junque box from back in the pre-USB days. I ended up mounting the board in a small project box from Radio Shack.

Here is the link to the  W3YY website: http://w3yy.com/fsk.htm

The circuit does include a line for CW, but I built a separate interface "dead bug" style with a single transistor and resistor on the back of a DB9 connector.

Here is the eHam review of the W3YY interface kit: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8519. Only 15 reviews (one of them is mine), but it gets a 5 out of 5.
AB1A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »

Thanks to all for suggestions. Tried most of them and also concluded AFSK only. After review, I decided to go with Rigblaster PNP, and they "West Mountain" have a rebate available til 12/31/13. Bought from DX Eng. which has best shipping speed. Ordered and will be here Friday.

Thanks again to all.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »

Dick  AB1A:

I have the IC-7410, use the SignaLink USB interface and FLdigi software.  Interested in
using RTTY (now use Olivia, PSK & MSK, besides other digital modes).

You're right, all I can do NOW is just receive RTTY signals; think you must use the  accessory port on the IC-7410 [13-pin] to the SignaLink (NOT the USB connection on the IC-7410) to transmit RTTY FSK.  I do NOT want to use AFSK !!

Just this past sunday (12/1), sent an email to tigertronics tech and asked them, this.
Hopefully, I will get a reply back before the end of the week.  I'll post their answer-here.

Ken KC8Y 
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »

In oder to use the SignaLink USB for FSK, it will have to be modified since FSK RTTY MUST be done through the ACC port.

Here is a link to one website that describes one way to do this: http://www.wb3lhd.com/main/page_fsk_rtty.html. He refers to using a 756Pro II, but the ACC port is exactly the same as an IC-7410.

This is also the same circuit as described in the May 2013 edition of QST.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:31:42 PM by N0IU » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »

Note that receive RTTY is ALWAYS AFSK. Only transmit can use direct FSK. It should be quite possible to use the SignaLink-USB for receive and wire a keying transistor to toggle the FSK port from a computer RS-232 serial port. I'm not sure that the 7410 is capable of receiving from its internal sound card via USB while transmitting in FSK from the keying circuit. It depends on how Icom has configured the firmware.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »

I'm not sure that the 7410 is capable of receiving from its internal sound card via USB while transmitting in FSK from the keying circuit.

The answer is YES.

I have an IC-7410 and I use the USB connection. I do FSK RTTY so what I am about to describe actually works. This is not guesswork or speculation.

The program I use is MMTTY.

When setting up MMTTY, you select the USB Audio CODEC for reception. The USB Audio CODEC is the internal sound card that is created when you install the driver from Icom.

For transmitting, select the Com Port from the dropdown box that corresponds to the Com Port you are using on your PC for FSK keying. I use a true serial port, but if you want to use a USB serial adapter, you will also need to use the ExtFSK program which is also a free download from MMTTY.

The FSK program you use may be set up differently, but I can report that it is most definitely possible to use the USB connection to get the audio from the radio into the computer while at the same time use the Com Port of your choice to key the rig.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »

That's great. One more plus for the 7410 in my book.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: