Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRZ.COM  (Read 25745 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »

The QRZ forums were the first website I would visit in the morning. Not anymore, now I come here.

I found that many Americans (take no offense here boys) were very rude to their fellow ham brothers from north of the border. From being called a foreign country etc etc. Half of them who made replies like that likely didn't have a clue where Ontario is located.  Grin

Yes you could gain some good information from the forums if you picked between the dregs posted by some members.

Much friendlier here, and this is my first ham radio stop in the morning.

Oh BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in United States. Enjoy the day with your families.

Rick VE3FMC
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 05:39:10 AM »

The QRZ forums were the first website I would visit in the morning. Not anymore, now I come here.

I found that many Americans (take no offense here boys) were very rude to their fellow ham brothers from north of the border. From being called a foreign country etc etc. Half of them who made replies like that likely didn't have a clue where Ontario is located.  Grin

Yes you could gain some good information from the forums if you picked between the dregs posted by some members.

Much friendlier here, and this is my first ham radio stop in the morning.

Oh BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in United States. Enjoy the day with your families.

Rick VE3FMC

I'm from Michigan and know exactly where Ontario is - Southern California!    Grin Cheesy
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »

>Oh BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in United States. Enjoy the day with your families.

Thanks Rick!
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »

I've never used their forums or their classifieds -- not organized very well.

I do use them for address lookups, and you may want to keep a live e-mail there too, to keep some ad scammer from taking over and using your account to sell non-existent gear with.

-- Tom
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »

Their forums would be OK, I suppose, if you could put a big fat IGNORE on the entire "Rag Chew Central" section when looking at "today's posts". 

That would be great, and it has been suggested there more than once. Just don't view "today's posts" there; instead, just bookmark your favorite topics and visit them. That's what I do here and on qrz.com.

The thing that really turned me off about qrz.com was when the Unread Posts feature for each thread "broke", and it broke big time. That was probably a year or more ago and it's still very broken. Here on eHam, it still works just fine, thank you, and that's one of the reasons I spend more time here these days.

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »

The problem with Rag Chew there is the fact that there are a few people who think they know all. I laugh at the one poster from the West Coast who thinks anything bad that happens in United States is caused by the Government.

The Boston Marathon bombing, right off the bat that one person blamed the Boston Police force for that. Stated they were likely having a bomb drill and blew up the bombs by mistake. Good grief, as if the police would use real bombs during a drill, and would hold that drill during the marathon.  Roll Eyes

Crap like that has no place on a ham radio forum.

Hey I hope everyone had their fill or turkey yesterday, and the Lions finally won a Thanksgiving Day game, first one since 2003!
KD6VM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »

The problem with Rag Chew there is the fact that there are a few people who think they know all.......
Crap like that has no place on a ham radio forum.

I have always wondered how all the "Ham Radio Elite" ended up on the same website.

Someone wrote a letter to the editor of QST 50 years ago, or was the subject of a QST "Stray" item back in the 70's, and they think they are the "Be All- End All" of ham radio.

QRZ.com is full of them.

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

I much prefer Eham for the forums, classifieds and reviews. QRZ is good for the callsign lookups. I post on both forums, but some of the qrz forums have turned into a sludge pit lately.
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »

I GO TO QRZ FOR LOOK UPS...NOT CONSTANT WHINING AND GRIPING  !!
SPENCER
KD5RGJ
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »

I must be missing something, I don't understand the fascination with the QRZ call sign look up feature since this can be done on dozens of free sites including the FCC data base. Huh
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

I must be missing something, I don't understand the fascination with the QRZ call sign look up feature since this can be done on dozens of free sites including the FCC data base. Huh
A number of different software logging programs like HRD have special features that link to QRZ database and automatically fill the logs when the callsign is typed in.  QRZ caters to them. 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »

The FCC data base is no good for non-US amateurs, though.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »

You have to know which forums to avoid over there.  If you stay away from the "chat" areas, it's not a bad place.  Of particular value to me has been the buy/sell board.  I have gotten some bargains on ham gear on that board.  And I use it regularly for call sign lookup...
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »

Re: KB4QAA/G3RZP

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize it was geared to the computer logging/HRD boys since I operate at bottom of the hobby's food chain with paper logs and non HRD.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »

W1JKA,

I use a paper log, too. But if you want a DX station mailing address, FCC is no use. QRZ isn't always, of course!

All these sources have a problem when someone goes SK if the relatives don't inform them: similarly with the QSL bureau, cards can arrive for the deceased. In one case I know, the relatives were very upset but the bureau staff can't know if the relatives don't inform them.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: