Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRZ.COM  (Read 27245 times)
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »

You have to know which forums to avoid over there.  If you stay away from the "chat" areas, it's not a bad place.  Of particular value to me has been the buy/sell board.  I have gotten some bargains on ham gear on that board.  And I use it regularly for call sign lookup...

I agree. I spend much more time on the Zed than I do here. Though the classified ads here are organized similar to QTH.com, anything I have listed on all three or just QTH and QRZ only get responses from QRZ and is usually sold in a day or less. I don't bother listing anywhere else anymore. eHam seems to be used the least for classified ads.

I don't go to the ragchew forum on QRZ, it is not very interesting and full of political junk.
I am more interested in trying to answer the questions that I can and read answers or discussion of questions about ham radio or electronics.

I do like the QRZ website design far better than eHam. Less cluttered and easier on the eyes in my opinion.
There are some "interesting" personalities on either board, some fun and some annoying, but that doesn't bother me.
The reviews here are okay but you do have to seed through them to get to the meaningful reviews. Some of them are just plain stupid.
I suspect I spend more time on QRZ just because I happened across it first and am just more familiar with it.

I have been a ham since 1971 and am 60 yrs old. These forums and the people on them have got me interested in some different aspects of ham radio and
electronics that I never gave much thought to beforehand. Thank you all for that!

I also check into antiqueradios.com often and it is interesting that I don't find any of the problem personality issues there that are found here and on QRZ. Everyone gets along very well there. ZERO politics!!
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »

I must be missing something, I don't understand the fascination with the QRZ call sign look up feature since this can be done on dozens of free sites including the FCC data base. Huh
A number of different software logging programs like HRD have special features that link to QRZ database and automatically fill the logs when the callsign is typed in.  QRZ caters to them. 

True but we also pay to use that service.

HRD has other option as far as call sign look ups go.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »

I frequent both sites. If a discussion goes into the toilet, I stop reading it.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »

I just had a bad experience over there. One of my posts was deleted. And while I agree it was a heated post, there is so much other activity on their boards which is questionable that they do nothing about.

Admittedly I'm outspoken, and can be abrasive at times. I'm also good at following rules. What I do not adapt to is a double standard.

So I've opted out.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:48 AM »

I much prefer Eham for the forums, classifieds and reviews. QRZ is good for the callsign lookups. I post on both forums, but some of the qrz forums have turned into a sludge pit lately.

I use qrzcq.com because qrz wants you to log in to see details now.  Forget that noise.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:11 AM »

I read and post on QRZ irregularly. I find it pretty easy to skip over all of the junk that some of them spew out. You can usually tell the really bad ones because, by the time I see it, there are 15-20 pages of postings. I have seen them go to >100 pages of postings. To me that's an obvious red flag.

There are enough interesting posts on QRZ and eHam, to not bother with all of the junk. Life is way to short to get into all that stuff.

I find that many of the same hams are on QRZ and eHam, and the same questions pop up in both places. Maybe they tone it down for eHam a bit, but beyond that there isn't much difference. I'm sure you could find examples of over the top behavior on either site.

Beyond the forums, I don't find the management on QRZ very useful. Last week someone posted a complaint about getting spam in their company email. Like it was some how the fault of QRZ. I wrote a response that simply said, he should check with his email provider. They are the only ones that can put a stop to the spam. But when I posted I received a message that the posting had to be reviewed by the moderators. Well, that's was fine with me, if they want that extra work. So I waited. Minutes after my post a response from someone else showed up. But 3 days later, mine still didn't show up. So I sent QRZ a email and asked about my post. I received a trouble ticket number and they said it might be 1 to 3 hours/days before I got a response. In the email I received a tracking link. I went back to the original post, to see if my posting showed up yet, and noticed that the original poster requested it be deleted. Well that's OK, so I went to the tracking link to modify the complaint, and cancel it. That's when I found out my complaint was already canceled. No notice, no explanation, just canceled.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »

Beyond the forums, I don't find the management on QRZ very useful.

So what? As I posted earlier, the exact same thing also happens here.

A guy asked a question and I answered it. Unfortunately it was not the answer the guy was looking for so he told me to stick it into my "rectal cavity" (my words, not his) and associated me with the egress end of the alimentary canal (Again, my words, not his). I waited a couple of days and finally reported the post. A few more days go by and nothing happens. I reported it a second time and finally the post was finally deleted... along with my original reply that did not contain any references to any body parts or contained any other personal attack.

Now we could be like RadioReference where forums are "hyper-moderated". Maybe the moderators don't have anything better to do with their time, but I have seen threads locked within hours or even minutes after someone makes inappropriate comments. Basically, they don't put up with that sort of nonsense!

KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

A few months ago I became a "regular" on QRZ's Rag Chew Central. Frankly what attracted me was that so many of the posters have political views that are 180 degrees different from mine (they are very conservative). This makes for an interesting time, although I also had one run-in with the moderators and behaved less than impeccably when certain terms of abuse were hurled in my direction.

I've been active on eHam for longer (nearly two years) and find the technical forums here to be better than their equivalents on QRZ.
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »

A few months ago I became a "regular" on QRZ's Rag Chew Central.

You have my sympathies, but that pain is self-inflicted....
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »

A few months ago I became a "regular" on QRZ's Rag Chew Central.

You have my sympathies, but that pain is self-inflicted....

True. It is definitely outside my comfort zone. Which is the point, actually.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »

I use both eham & QRZ.com almost every day. QRZ.com more than eham.It's kind of like hearing a QSO on the air you don't like,just turn the VFO & in this case change web sites.Not a big deal or difficult.I am not looking for any site that's PERFECT because just as sure as I join there goes perfection.I don't agree 100% with any site for ham radio or otherwise & never have. LOL Guess some folks are very thin skinned! {:>)  Smiley   Cheesy   Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

Just be be aware if you sell something on QRZ.Com. Your name, address,  city and state as well as your IP Address is logged right there in the open.

Same here.

No sense sending money to a guy with an IP address that's in Nigeria or is a known proxy.

Mike N2MG
webmaster
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »

As far as the Forums go, from experience I can tell you it's not easy to "keep the peace".  There are many self-declared "experts on all things" who like to bully people around, and even bully the site admins.

We do our best, fail sometimes, get up and try again.

Cheers to all !

Mike N2MG
KD6VM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »

Except on QRZ.com, there is a self-annointed Inner Circle, whose members' individual status seems to be predicated upon:

1) How many "Letters to the Editor" they have had published in QST since the 1940's

2) How many times they have spotted Wayne Green at a hamfest

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »

Haven't spotted Wayne recently, but I spotted Elvis at a local hamfest in Arkansas 2 years ago and sent an article about it with pictures and handkerchief that he gave me to QST which they rejected out of hand because they thought the handkerchief was fake even though it had "The King" embroidered on one corner. I believe the real reason it was rejected was I was not a dues paying ARRL member which I also believe was the same reason that I could not post a complaint about this in the appropriate QRZ Forum.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: