Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux ARM?  (Read 5955 times)
W5ARP

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

Has anyone tried compiling/installing various amateur radio programs on Linux ARM?  I expect most things with available source wouldn't be too difficult, but I would worry about anything compute-heavy like SDRs.  You gan buy a Samsung Chromebook for $200.  It has a decent screen and is ultra-portable (about the size of an 11" macbook air), but it uses an ARM chip instead of an intel chip.  ChromeOS would be pretty useless for me, but Arch Linux and Debian both have ARM distros.

I think it would make a great dedicated single use companion device for amateur radio functions, especially if the CPU can keep up for DSP functions.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:09:44 AM »

I loaded an early beta of Ubuntu Tablet edition on a Nexus 7 tablet. The repositories had FLDigi and G-predict binaries, as did one of the Debian builds for the Raspberry Pi. I wasn't very impressed with their performance in either case, but they did run. You'd have to try it out, but I doubt it would be all that great for a daily driver given the overhead needed for a full on distro.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Thanks. I'd like something ultraportable.  I'd love to use a MacBook Air, but I can't quite justify the $1k for a single purpose machine.  I have an old atom based netbook running linux that I'll probably use for now, but I hate the low resolution screen with linux.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »

The big problem I see with repurposing a Chromebook is that generally they are very low on RAM. If you can find one that has 4GB of system RAM it should do fairly well. Also, there are Intel based models now, so that might be an option for you too.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »

Thanks. I'd like something ultraportable.  I'd love to use a MacBook Air, but I can't quite justify the $1k for a single purpose machine.  I have an old atom based netbook running linux that I'll probably use for now, but I hate the low resolution screen with linux.

Asus makes a few new 10inch netbooks with 1368 x 768 res and dual core low voltage 847 celerons or one with a dual core AMD A4 1200. I have one with a 847 and it does well and way faster than old atoms and effortlessly streams video.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »

The big problem I see with repurposing a Chromebook is that generally they are very low on RAM. If you can find one that has 4GB of system RAM it should do fairly well. Also, there are Intel based models now, so that might be an option for you too.

The Samsung chromebook has 2gb of RAM which is reasonable, especially if you disable all the useless clutter like compiz, unity etc.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »

The Samsung chromebook has 2gb of RAM which is reasonable, especially if you disable all the useless clutter like compiz, unity etc.

One man's clutter is another man's advanced user interface  Smiley
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

One man's clutter is another man's advanced user interface  Smiley

I'm happy with xterm and vim...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: