Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astatic D-104 Parts  (Read 8123 times)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »

Anyone know of a source for a nice heavy duty mic cord for the D-104's?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »

RB Micro (Colorado) specializes in Astatic D-104 parts and restoration.
http://www.rbmicro.com/index.php

Sources for Straight Microphone Cordage can be found at almost any Guitar Center or audiophile/musician shop.  This cordage is primarily 2-conductor with shield fir Balanced Microphones (using 3-pin XLR connectors).

For RADIO usage (Audio and PTT), Belden (old 8496, 3-conductor) and Alpha sell coiled cords used for LMR and Public Address systems.  Major US distributors stock more popular versions.

Heil Sound sells their Heil Cable with 2-conductor for PTT and shielded audio for microphone.
You can find Taiwanese imported cables on eBay and most CB-shops.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »

Anyone know of a source for a nice heavy duty mic cord for the D-104's?

I took the original junky mic cord that came with my D-104 and replaced it with Heil Wire.  Now, I just have to ge tthe rest of the microphone up and running for the modern rigs.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:03:09 AM »

www.workmanelectronics.com

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »

get an XLR extender cable at Rat Shack, cut off what you need, install it.  it's pretty decent wire, it's at hand, and postage/shipping/handling for a nice piece of neoprene-covered balanced mike cable will eat up the cost difference.  the "hand" is nice, too, more flexible than Belden mike wire.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Junkboxes at hamfests.  Lot of coiled cords that are nice and shiny and heavy duty on some surplus 2 way radio system hand mics.  Not some cheap vinyl Chinese made junk.  You might have to pick thru the box to find the nicest one.  Soil is not a problem, they clean easily.  Just one that is not worn or stretched out of shape. They were designed for heavy duty uses. You could use high quality guitar cable for a simple mic hookup but if you have the PTT function in the mic, you will need extra wires and perhaps a shielded audio lead apart from the keyline wires. The hamfest mics can be had from a buck to 5 bucks for mics that are not the types that people are seeking out, like some of the big metal monster hand mics.  You might also get one from a defunct 2 way desk mic but sometimes they cost more.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »

Workman Electronics, Delta, OH (USA)
http://www.workmanelectronics.com/contact.htm

MINIMUM ORDERS
Workman Electronic Products requires a $75 minimum order.  Workman reserves the right not to ship any order under $75.  All orders under $75 will receive a $10 service charge added to the invoice total.  All orders under $200 will be shipped via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or C.O.D. only.  Orders over $200 may be shipped on "Net 30", providing we have an approved credit application on file.  All backorders under $25 per item will be cancelled.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

I love these places like Workman!  I'd like to see all of them go belly up!  Many years ago I used to buy all of my components from Newark  Electronics.  All was happy in the valley. 

Then they decided to go with a $50.00 minimum order which shut me off from that supply.  Consequently, I had to find several smaller suppliers because one would have some of the parts I needed and I would have to go to another for other parts.  This cost me more because of two or more different shipping costs.

Later, companies like Mouser and Digi-key came along and filled any order, no matter what it was and their shipping charges remained very reasonable.  From what I can see, both presently have a "land-office" business!

I saw several years ago Newark Electronics now fill all orders, regardless of the value.  I'd have to be VERY hard up before I will order anything from them!

Al - K8AXW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: