Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coax Vs. Ladder Line in Long Run to antenna  (Read 4841 times)
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

DX Engineering sells a kit with transformers to place at each end of a long run of ladderline to go from 50 UP  to 450 and then back down at the antenna.  They also have stranded copper line.   
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »

"10 dB resistive losses in tuner and ladderline."

Wow! that means that for 1KW transmitter output, the tuner and feedline are dissipating 900W as heat. Something is wrong - no wonder things are melting.
KG5EJU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 07:29:20 AM »

Ladderline is the way to go.
The best ladderline is made out of copper stranded wire about AWG13.

Problem with ladderline rain, snow and the balanced tuner you will need.

Nah, you do not necessarily need a balanced tuner. And Rain or snow ain't no problem with Real Open Wire Feeders.

My first antenna in 1960 was a 40 mtr dipole fed with flat used TV 300 ohm feedline. I did not know what a antenna tuner was. I was only 14 yrs old and even if I knew about tuners I could not afford one. I had an Eico 720 xmitter and it had a So-239 coax input. So I soldered a PL-259 on that TV line an plugged her into the Eico.

Well I worked WAS and gosh knows how much DX with that antenna. After about a year older, experienced hams started telling me, no way would my antenna work. I just smiled and kept working DX on 40 and 15 mtrs.  Wink

Since that time I have always had at least one ladderline fed antenna. Sometimes I bought ladderline and a few times I made my own, spacers and all. They all worked great. Of course I use a tuner now, and it ain't a balanced tuner. It is a TenTec 238B with a balun input. Works just fine. About 7 or 8 years ago I discovered a commercial Open Wire Feedline that is better than any ladderline i have used. I have been using it ever since, Rain and snow does not bother it and I just love the way it looks. Check it out. This is the GUD stuff.
http://www.trueladderline.com/

Stan K9IUQ

That open ladder line looks a lot like slick-wire fencing to me.  Hey!  That gives me an idea :-)
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »

"So I soldered a PL-259 on that TV line an plugged her into the Eico.

Well I worked WAS and gosh knows how much DX with that antenna. After about a year older, experienced hams started telling me, no way would my antenna work. I just smiled and kept working DX on 40 and 15 mtrs.  Wink "

My first novice antenna story is exactly the same! Twin lead from a 40m dipole into a PL-259 works just fine with a homebrew 75w CW transmitter!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

"So I soldered a PL-259 on that TV line an plugged her into the Eico.

Well I worked WAS and gosh knows how much DX with that antenna. After about a year older, experienced hams started telling me, no way would my antenna work. I just smiled and kept working DX on 40 and 15 mtrs.  Wink "

My first novice antenna story is exactly the same! Twin lead from a 40m dipole into a PL-259 works just fine with a homebrew 75w CW transmitter!

heheheh.  Wink  I used to stop at the local TV Repair Shop after school a couple of times a week. The owner became friends with me and my buddy who was also a ham. The TV guy would gives us all kinds of parts. He was not a ham, just a nice guy. He did not have any coax but had lots of used cheapo Flat 300 ohm TV line. He gave me all I needed. I used some for feedline and also made several antennas out of the stuff. I had to spend my hard earned paper route $$ on the PL-259. I also bought the Eico 720 outta paper route $$. My mother bought me a HQ100 from Burnstein Applebee with the understanding I would eventually pay her back. I did.

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: