Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT1000 mkv vs FT 2000  (Read 6252 times)
KD8HMB

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

I have desired a FT1000 series rig ( D, MP, MKV, MKV field) for a long time - it looks good, is rated as an excellent performer and has a 2nd receiver. I have seen them at local ham fests and want one, but- they are getting old. Then there is the newer FT 2000. It, too, looks pretty good, has the 2nd receiver, but is a much newer product. It has had mixed reviews - some good, some bad.
As much as I would like to get a FT 1000, it seems that common sense would say that the newer FT 2000 is a better investment.
So, my queston to the group is to those of you who have used both models. Which one is the better buy?
I am not a rabid DX'er but do like to go after new ones when I have the opportunity, and believe that both of these would suit me. Question is - which one?
Thanks
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »

YouTube has some videos comparing the two, you might want to check them out.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »

I`ve heard that the mark V power supply had problems. Not the original MP,just the V. It used a special supply for the 200 watt radio. I would check the reviews. The radio itself was fine.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »

If you want to know the real story of the two rigs, forget about reading the positive reviews and concentrate on the negative ones.  If you find multiple people with the same problems, then they're probably real problems, and with Yaesu, the real problems often have no fixes coming from Yaesu.

The Mark V uses a switching 30V power supply for the PA stage.  I don't believe that it was/is any more troublesome than a linear supply, but the problem is finding someone who can fix one when it fails.  Not impossible, but working on one seems to be beyond the capabilities of the average technical ham and troubleshooting documentation is practically non-existent.  Any 30V DC supply that can meet the current requirements can be substituted and you'll need only a small 12VDC supply for the rigs 12V requirements. 

If you operate CW, the Mark V is a wonderful click generator unless you install one of the fixes that were available from W8JI or International Radio.  A poor noise blanker design produced excessive intermod problems unless you install the W8JI fix for that.  The fluorescent display is a problem on many units and before purchasing a used Mark V you need to see the display in operation and make sure that it isn't too dim.  There are fixes for the display dimming if you're up to the technical challenge.  All units do not exhibit that problem. 

I've owned a couple of Mark Vs and even with the problems it was one of my favorite rigs for CW and RTTY, mostly DXing and contesting.  The FT-2000 had a number of problems early on and they're well documented on the Internet. 

73, K8AC
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:28:23 AM »

They all have problems. That is the whole series of radios starting back at the FT1000D

They are hissy
Too Much phase noise and audio hiss
Keyclicks Its shocking how bad the keyclicks are in the contests from Yaesu radios because they so popular.
NB  that causes receiver IMD.
RX IMD on receive that causes peak distortion.
Generally poor receiver specifications that is not the best.

They do have a fantastic ergonomic layout that was enjoyed by many thousands of stations who owned them.
I wish my K3 had a panel like the FT1000 or FT2000 series of radio.

I owned all these radios so know them well. I would not use any of them in a contest today. Buy a K3 or TS590S if you want a superior radio.
They not big box radios like the FT1000 and FT2000 series of radios and nor do they have  such a good front panel layout but the K3 and TS590S have very decent receivers that has got more performance than most hams can use.

The only positive about  the Yaesu FT1000,MP, MK5 is that they used proper RF fets which produced clean signals than were much cleaner than the competitors. The Yaesu in class  A is a very clean radio. The MK5 has a nasty habit of blowing up in Class A so you need to watch  the  radio when you are using it a lot.

If you like Yaesu radios the FT5000 is a lovely radio which fixes all the issues that I mention, its just the price the scares everyone away. The OLED's failing has not helped sales. But Yaesu was the king of the big radio manufacturers its a shame to see Yaesu go to these small radios   that should come with a pair of chopsticks so you can use the radio comfortably. Same goes for the K3 its the ideal radio for a lady hands and a pair chopsticks would be a good option for the K3. I am surprised that Elecraft has not produced the K3_Chopsticks option yet. Sitting in front  a FT1000D or MP series of radios was a real pleasure, why do we have all these baby radios now? Nothing says big ham radio than having a whopping great big VFO knob sticking out   that you can grab. Its even better when you have a ton of big knobs that goes with a big front panel. 

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 05:23:50 AM »

Of the FT1000 problems you mentioned, there have long been fixes for the clicks and NB-caused IMD.  The click fixes aren't perfect, but bring the rig into line with most other high-end rigs.  I believe the other problems you mentioned to be overblown - they don't seem to have affected anyone who has used the FT1000s in contesting as many of us have scored quite well with them, routinely beating K3 owners.  Operator skill will trump less-than-perfect specs every time.

The FT5000 may fix the problems you mentioned, but it introduced something not seen before - at least in a long time.  That is the ability to send coherent CW with proper weight and spacing.  This was supposed to be a good QSK CW rig, but badly truncated code elements, especially the leading dit.  While Yaesu came up with a fix, it required you to pay shipping both ways to California to get it fixed and the fix resulted in not being able to hear between characters above 20 wpm (not a speed you'll ever run into in a contest.  On top of that shortcoming was the dreadful panadaptor built into the speaker.  Not only does it lag real-time by a considerable amount, but it was simply too dim.  For about the same money, you could use LP-Pan and soundcard and NaP3 and have a real first-class panadaptor with capabilities simply not there in either the FT5000 or the K3-P3 combination.

I agree completely with the comments on the small size of the radios today.  I recall hearing once that the principals at Elecraft said they wouldn't produce a rig that wouldn't fit in a carry-on airline bag.  What?Huh
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »

I agree completely with the comments on the small size of the radios today.  I recall hearing once that the principals at Elecraft said they wouldn't produce a rig that wouldn't fit in a carry-on airline bag.  What??

Not surprising.  Elecraft is a small company they need to go after a niche market and they have found one with making small narrow filtered cw radios.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to make something that's an all round competitor, I don't think that will ever happen.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »

I agree completely with the comments on the small size of the radios today.  I recall hearing once that the principals at Elecraft said they wouldn't produce a rig that wouldn't fit in a carry-on airline bag.  What??

Not surprising.  Elecraft is a small company they need to go after a niche market and they have found one with making small narrow filtered cw radios.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to make something that's an all round competitor, I don't think that will ever happen.

Niches are great... They allow people who are overlooked to get what they want.  I am not sure why a Ft-2000 vs FT-1000 has turned into a K3 bashing fest, but of the two I would pick the 1000.  The 2000 has terrible selectivity even with the AC0C mod it barely passes muster.  Owning the 2000D was one of my biggest mistakes of my ham radio life.  It was impossible to run a 160m contest with that radio. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »

Niches are great... They allow people who are overlooked to get what they want.  I am not sure why a Ft-2000 vs FT-1000 has turned into a K3 bashing fest, but of the two I would pick the 1000.  The 2000 has terrible selectivity even with the AC0C mod it barely passes muster.  Owning the 2000D was one of my biggest mistakes of my ham radio life.  It was impossible to run a 160m contest with that radio. 

In truth I don't hear too many good things about the FT-2000 and I have never seen one much less used one.  I know exactly what it's like when you dream about then save up to buy a product only to discover it's a disappointment and your right about Niche products, the K3 is great radio if your into CW and want a small rig.

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »

In truth I don't hear too many good things about the FT-2000 and I have never seen one much less used one.  I know exactly what it's like when you dream about then save up to buy a product only to discover it's a disappointment and your right about Niche products, the K3 is great radio if your into CW and want a small rig.

I sold my FT-2000D and bought a used K3.  For my purposes it is perfect. When I am not DXing or when the WX is nice, I like to run back yard portable or run in a local park.  I really wanted to like the 2000D, the ergonomics were as close to perfect as a radio could be. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »

The problems of the FT-2000 are greatly exaggerated for the average conditions, usual user. They are significant only in contest, strong signal environments.  Having owned and extensively used the FT-1000 Mk V and the FT-2000 (my current rig), I would advocate for the FT-2000.  Cheaper, more flexible, better DSP, more filter choices. Learn to properly adjust and use the DSP (contour) control.  I use one FT-2000 with the AC0C roofing filter, and another one without it.  Day to day I do great with either.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »

Most importantly, the FT2000 does 6 meters!

73 John AF5CC
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

The problems of the FT-2000 are greatly exaggerated for the average conditions, usual user. They are significant only in contest, strong signal environments.  Having owned and extensively used the FT-1000 Mk V and the FT-2000 (my current rig), I would advocate for the FT-2000.  Cheaper, more flexible, better DSP, more filter choices. Learn to properly adjust and use the DSP (contour) control.  I use one FT-2000 with the AC0C roofing filter, and another one without it.  Day to day I do great with either.

While the DSP is "better" it lacks a functional NB.  I did really like the pre-selector though. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: