Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW Help Please  (Read 14220 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 06:03:13 AM »

How do I get an ARRL award when I make a valid contact with a licensed ham radio station that only uses eQSL?

You don't! If you want an ARRL operating award, you follow their rules and their rules state that they will not accept eQSL confirmations. Period. So forget about it and move on. Keep working stations until you find ones that will confirm the contact via LoTW.

If you want WAS, you may have to work hundreds of stations before you get enough confirmations for the award and if you want DXCC, you may have to work thousands of stations.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

How do I get an ARRL award when I make a valid contact with a licensed ham radio station that only uses eQSL?

I went to the ARRL website to look it up but the main page still looks like a circus flyer (but that's for another thread) so I left.

You request either a Lotw confirmation or a QSL card.

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:12 AM »

And if they specifically state on their QRZ page that they won't, then what? Ask them anyway and risk annoying them?

For example, during the 10 meter contest I contacted DK3EE. Here's what he says -

DDK3EE -

QSL Info   PSE NO QSL!
QSL by Mail?   No (e.g. Will this ham QSL by Postal Mail?)
QSL by eQSL?   No (e.g. Will this ham QSL with eQSL?)
Uses LOTW?   No (e.g. Does this ham use ARRL's LOTW ?)

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »

And if they specifically state on their QRZ page that they won't, then what? Ask them anyway and risk annoying them?

For example, during the 10 meter contest I contacted DK3EE. Here's what he says -

DDK3EE -

QSL Info   PSE NO QSL!
QSL by Mail?   No (e.g. Will this ham QSL by Postal Mail?)
QSL by eQSL?   No (e.g. Will this ham QSL with eQSL?)
Uses LOTW?   No (e.g. Does this ham use ARRL's LOTW ?)

The courteous thing to do is to respect his wishes.  Don't ask for a card if you know he doesn't QSL.  I try to follow the DX instructions as best I can, or I don't send for a card if I think he his being unreasonable.  Move on and work another German station who will provide a suitable QSL for whatever award you want to work.  I just worked two German stations on 160 meters--both who aren't on LoTW, so I'm sending them both cards via the bureau, since plenty of really nice photo QSLs to send out--a few DX stations have commented on how much they like my card Cheesy.  Alternately, I could just keep working Germans on 160 until I do get an LoTW QSL, which is almost guaranteed to happen before I get my 160M DXCC--it is a tough award that normally takes a few years--though my 80M DXCC was done in a couple of months with 100 watts and a wire vertical.   Grin

Zack W1VT
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 05:25:46 AM »

And if they specifically state on their QRZ page that they won't, then what?

What part of "FORGET ABOUT IT AND MOVE ON!" don't you understand?

If you spent as much time and effort and energy actually on the air looking for DX stations as you are worrying about why this one single station in Germany who says in no uncertain terms that he will not confirm your contact via LoTW, you would have a dozen confirmed contacts with that country!

There are currently 340 DX entities. According to the "DXCC Most Wanted List" as published by Club Log (http://www.clublog.org/mostwanted.php), the United States is #340. This means that we are the easiest DX entity to work. And if you look at the list you will see the entity that is right behind us in the 339th spot... GERMANY! Working Germany is like shooting fish in a barrel!

I have worked Germany using CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK31, Olivia and Hellschreiber. I have also worked Germany on every HF band. I promise you, there are TONS of other stations in Germany that will confirm contacts via LoTW... I promise!
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »

Sorry, but I don't respond to your commands as you seem to wish.

If you spent as much time and effort and energy actually on the air looking for DX stations as you are worrying about why this one single station in Germany who says in no uncertain terms that he will not confirm your contact via LoTW, you would have a dozen confirmed contacts with that country!

What I don't get is why they can't even do electronic QSL, such as eQSl. There's essentially no expense. So what's the big deal about it?

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »

Well I finally got a log signed and upload to LoTW.

Problem now is, not every Ham uses LoTW, and some do not send out paper cards, they only use eQSL.

So ... how do I get an award based on LoTW/ARRL if many Hams only use eQSL and specifically state they do not send out Cards? It's a mess.

Your best bet to getting awards quickly via LOTW, is work the modes and patterns that have highest LOTW usage. This means contests.

I find about 70% of my RTTY contest QSO's are verified on LOTW. More than 50% of my CW contest QSO's are verified on LOTW. Phone contests, are close to 35-40% LOTW participation. Most of these happen in the weeks after the contest, but there's a slow steady trickle of LOTW confirmations on 5-year old QSO's.

In "DX chasing" I find that most DXpeditions eventually upload to LOTW. Some in the same day, some in 6 months, but most upload to LOTW. I still have a handful of entities that are only confirmed on paper cards because they never use LOTW.

Some other modes, e.g. 2M repeater QSO's, or Field Day QSO's, or "nets", I find LOTW participation to be almost zero in these activities.

"DX nets" are pretty much hopeless for LOTW too. Wow, what a bunch of crackerjacks those guys are.

Tim.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »

Sorry, but I don't respond to your commands as you seem to wish.

Its not a command by any means. Its just the math! Germany is the second easiest DX entity to work. Right now (1356z) DO1KRT is on 28.495 and his ONLY method of confirming contacts is via LoTW.

But OK, do it your way. Don't listen to someone who already has DXCC exclusivley using LoTW confirmations. Obviously I don't know what I am talking about!

What I don't get is why they can't even do electronic QSL, such as eQSl. There's essentially no expense. So what's the big deal about it?

And what part of the fact that in order to earn an ARRL award you have to follow the ARRL's rules don't you get?
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:19 AM »

And what part of the fact that in order to earn an ARRL award you have to follow the ARRL's rules don't you get?

My statement was about why a ham would not even do eQSL - not ARRL LoTW.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »

My statement was about why a ham would not even do eQSL - not ARRL LoTW.

I apologize. I misunderstood you. But to use your own words, maybe they don't respond to your commands as you seem to wish!

At the end of the day, it is up to each individual operator to decide how or even if they confirm their contacts. Maybe there is some technical reason like they don't have a computer or Internet access or maybe, just maybe, they just don't want to! Not everyone gets on the air for the purpose of getting an award. If getting DXCC or WAS or any operating award was easy, what would be the value or purpose in getting that award?

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

I love collard greens.  My wife doesn't.

Same deal.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »

The biggest problem with eQSL is that it does not have the same degree of fraud protection.  People may laugh and ask why an ARRL award needs fraud protection but consider how difficult something like DX Honor Roll or 5 band QRP DXCC and it may make more sense.  I and many others get eQSL verification requests from stations that we never worked.  It would be all too easy not to check one's log and just verify it using that system. If a RARE DX entity is on 30 meters you can pretty much guarantee a few rogue dishonorable hams will be calling them with more than the 30m legal limit, so people do break rules seeking ARRL awards...   sad but true...

As others have said, once you get thru the frustrating task of setting your LoTW account up and verifying your address and ID by the post card -- it becomes far more seamless.  A program like HRD or AC Log will make uploading your logs to LoTW and downloading your confirmations more convenient.  Check out the eham.net reviews for either.

Getting excited over working Germany is a privilege you should savor, one day it will seem as others have suggested -- like fish in a barrel.

Dave AA6YQ is a stellar person to get assistance from.  As far as I can tell, he has been indispensable in tuning up & improving the LoTW program.

LoTW-only DXCC requires patience with modest stations, but is very doable.  Propagation is good right now and more and more peops utilize LoTW.  Imagine trying to do it all the way they did 25 years ago:  No internet DX spots, snail mail only.  The guys who got Honor Roll back then should be enshrined in a Ham Radio DX Hall of Fame!!!

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »

LoTW-only DXCC requires patience with modest stations, but is very doable.  Propagation is good right now and more and more peops utilize LoTW.  Imagine trying to do it all the way they did 25 years ago:  No internet DX spots, snail mail only.  The guys who got Honor Roll back then should be enshrined in a Ham Radio DX Hall of Fame!!!

25 years ago, DXers were using 2M packet spotting networks, the precursor to today's DX clusters. Before that, they used 2M repeaters, and before that, they called each other up on the phone (sometimes hanging up after 1 or 2 rings to convey information without having to pay long distance charges).

DXing has long been a team sport...

Dave, AA6YQ
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

25 years ago, DXers were using 2M packet spotting networks, the precursor to today's DX clusters. Before that, they used 2M repeaters, and before that, they called each other up on the phone (sometimes hanging up after 1 or 2 rings to convey information without having to pay long distance charges).

DXing has long been a team sport...

Dave, AA6YQ

point taken, but it is a bit incongruent to compare what the worldwide web puts into the DX seeker's proverbial hands today verses the more archaic teamwork tools you site.  (although I miscalculated a little and was thinking more of pre-1980...)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:41:33 PM by K9AIM » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »

point taken, but it is a bit incongruent to compare what the worldwide web puts into the DX seeker's proverbial hands today verses the more archaic teamwork tools you site.  (although I miscalculated a little and was thinking more of pre-1980...)

Do not discount the value of 2m packet clusters. While there are tons of spots on places like DX Summit, over 90% doesn't do me any good. At least with the 2m packet clusters, what I was seeing is what other locals were working.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: