Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bencher BY-1 wiring plug  (Read 1743 times)
KT4DLB

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »

I have recently bought a used Bencher BY-1 iambic keyer that came with the wire and plug. I have a Yaesu FT-897D radio that I will be using it with. I'm new to CW and am in the process of learning CW at LCWO.com and slowly making progress. When I plug in the cw plug off of the Bencher BY-1 it don't seem like it is right. The dash paddle works but the dit or dot paddle don't. I check the wiring on the keyer and the dit or dot side is connected to the front tip of the plug and the dash is connected to the 2nd ring on plug. But when I touch the third ring and the first ring it shows short on the ohm meter. Is this suppose to be this way?

73's

D Brown
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

First of all forget the existing plug.  It's hard to tell what it's been wired for!!

Open the plug body and connect your ohmmeter to the wires connected to the plug....with the ground (black meter lead) connected to the ground of the Bencher.  Use the red lead to find which wire gives you a reading when you hit the dit side.  Then without assuming anything, find the wire that gives you a reading when you hit the dah side of the Bencher.

Mark down these findings.

Then look at your 897D manual and see where these wires go and then wire your plug as necessary.  You should have a plug (called a Stereo Plug) with a tip, a ring and the barrel; the barrel is always the ground.

Since I don't have either the Bencher or the 897D, I am just assuming that it uses a stereo plug and not some other type plug.  If the rig does take some other type plug, you simply wire it accordingly.  You have only three wires to work with.

Once you determine which wire is the ground or "common" then if you wire the other two wrong, just reverse them.  Piece a cake!
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »

That worked out. Thanks for the help.

D Brown
KT4DLB
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »

You're welcome!  When you learn CW you will be entering into a world that most people don't know exists.  It's a world where two or more people communicate with one sound at two different lengths.  A world where you can communicate with very small equipment running very low power, power as low as or lower than that unobtrusive night light in your bathroom. 

When you're in this world and you'll get the feeling you and the guy or gal you're talking to are the only ones in this world. And, nobody else except those like you understands this new language.  Enjoy.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »

Matter of fact, you can USE that night light in the bathroom to send Morse code.  Once you've learned it by sound, it's generally a piece of cake to be able to receive flashing light.  The speed for visual code is quite a bit slower, limited by the filament lighting up OR operating shutters using a light that's always "on" and just interrupting the light beam.

I did both radio and visual in the Navy - great days!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
OK1RP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:14:49 AM »

Hi D Brown,

above all I am sending big congrats for starting to learn CW! Command respect to You my friend and I am keeping fingers crossed to You.

For Your FT-897D:

For paddle connection You have to use 3pins / 3.5mm diammeter - sterreo jack.

Tip - dot
Ring - dash
Barrel - common (gnd)

If all is connected correctly please make sure that You have internal electronics keyer activated.
Use the momentarily pressing F button and find the [SPOT, BK, KYR] menu to activate keyer by pressing KYR.

See the page 33 of Your manual here if needed:
http://www.yaesu.co.uk/files/FT-897D%20Operating%20Manual.pdf

Do not hesitate to ask for any help in term of CW learning or needs my friend.
Also if You would like to try CW QSO (QRS of course) then let me know.

73 - Petr, OK1RP
http://ok1rp.blogspot.com
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »

Thanks for all the help and the encouragement. I also have a 1962 Vibroplex Champion Bug that I want to use, but dont how to wire it to use on my Yaesu FT-897D. Any help will be appreicated.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »

DLB:  Doesn't your manual advise you how to wire up a hand key instead of a paddle?

Perhaps it's just a matter of correct menu selection?  Any rig that will accept a hand key (I don't know of any that doesn't) will take a bug.  The hand key and bug hookup are identical. 

It's the bug that determines the "key closure" also known as the on/off switch.

PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »

The technical level of ham radio seems to be according to the dumbing down of the FCC tests.
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

The technical level of ham radio seems to be according to the dumbing down of the FCC tests.

Yes the FCC tests are in some ways simpler, primarily because no Morse code knowledge is required. If FCC tests were very tough, the "technical level" might be higher but there would be far fewer hams in the U.S. Fewer hams would mean, at least in part, significantly less advanced off-the-shelf technology available, less software, etc.

Much more important, a smaller group of U.S. hams would mean far less political clout. This would put existing ham spectrum allocation at risk, no doubt worldwide.

In a world of very tough ham exams, with most hams RF engineers or computer scientists or similar, there would be very little hamming going, on maybe one HF band and a couple of VHF/UHF bands.

The simplifying of the FCC tests was a very savvy political and practical move. And a democratic one as well. In a democracy all are welcomed. Other kinds of governments cater only to elites.
OK1RP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:08 AM »

Hi D Brown,

congrats for Your 1962 Vibroplex Champion Bug. It is nice piece of history my friend.

Regarding the manual key connection on Your FT-897D:

If You have used 3pins / 3.5mm diammeter - sterreo jack.

Tip - key contact
Ring - gnd (or not connected)
Barrel - gnd

If You have used 2pins / 3.5mm diammeter - mono jack.

Tip - key contact
Barrel - gnd

If all is connected correctly please make sure that You have internal electronics keyer de-activated.
Use the momentarily pressing F button and find the [SPOT, BK, KYR] menu to de-activate keyer.

See the page 33 of Your manual here if needed:
http://www.yaesu.co.uk/files/FT-897D%20Operating%20Manual.pdf

Do not hesitate to ask for any help in term of CW learning or needs my friend.
Also if You would like to try CW QSO (QRS of course) then let me know.

73 - Petr, OK1RP
http://ok1rp.blogspot.com
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 04:40:07 AM »

[...]
The simplifying of the FCC tests was a very savvy political and practical move. And a democratic one as well. In a democracy all are welcomed. Other kinds of governments cater only to elites.

So, no more discrimination on the basis of technical knowledge or ability...  And the beat goes on...

KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »

I would like to say I really appreciate the help that I received here. But there always has to be someone that's got to be a smartass about something with there comments. Yes I have the radio manual and yes I READ what it said, but sometimes you would like to be sure of what your doing and not damage your radio or mesh anything up. But I do appreciate all the advice on how to wire it and the encouragement of getting into CW.

Lamar
KT4DLB
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »

[...]

So, no more discrimination on the basis of technical knowledge or ability...  And the beat goes on...

Next beat is to eliminate technical part of the FCC test, and prohibit self development and experimentation at all. Only certified commercial radios allowed to use and they may only be used when the cabinet-seal is not broken.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: