Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headphones for CW  (Read 10511 times)
PA5MW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2014, 05:22:31 AM »

We did an extensive headphone test for CW(only) for several weeks in Q3/2013.
You will need to read it from start to end to recognize all relevant topics for learning how to find a "better headphone for CW use".

http://pa5mw.blogspot.nl/2013/02/wsa-160m-1.html

73 Mark, PA5MW
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »

We did an extensive headphone test for CW(only) for several weeks in Q3/2013.
You will need to read it from start to end to recognize all relevant topics for learning how to find a "better headphone for CW use".
http://pa5mw.blogspot.nl/2013/02/wsa-160m-1.html
73 Mark, PA5MW

Nicely done. Confirms my bias that headphones with a relatively narrow audio bandwidth which fully isolate the ears from surrounding noise are easiest to listen to.

I use Japan Radio ST-3s.
F4GFT

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »

Interesting review, but it lacks some recommendations. Given that the Japan Radio st-3 are no longer manufactured, does that mean that the kenwood hc-5 is the only game in town?
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »

Gosh, they are headphones guys, whats the fuss?

BOSE QC15, your done.

Rob
PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »

Gosh, they are headphones guys, whats the fuss?

BOSE QC15, your done.

Rob

Rob
Is the noise cancelling switchable on/off? (when I expect a telephone call during hamming activity)
Is the battery empty pretty fast?
Does the phone automatically switch off to save battery life in case of long no signal?
Is it for that high price still made in China?
Is the volume left/right independent adjustable , to compensate for old different sensitive ears?
Works noise cancelling only for periodic low frequencies, or also for speech, music , and Morse in speakers from neighbouring receivers on the desk?

73 Frans
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:48:19 AM by PA0KDW » Logged
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »

I compared CM500 with passive $99 Bose bought at Sam's. The sound from Bose was distinctly more pleasant, both in CW and in SSB. Like $10 and $100 radio. Can't explain why.
Ignacy, NO9E
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

Hi Frans,

No, the Bose QC15 are not switchable to non-noise-cancelling.
They only work if you have them turned on, and you have no choice about that.
They are expensive, and are probably made in China - like my Yaesu and other ham radio gear.

But - despite all that, they are headphones which sound great, work well, have comfortable earpads as far as any can be.
And yes, you may miss phone calls, not hear the xyl call you for dinner, hear the dog next door yapping and the neighbors arguing again.

If this is the case, then dont buy them.
But if you want earphones that sound nice and give you a coccoon of ham radio experience, then they are good.

There is a general rule that says, the more options you are given the longer it takes to make a decision.
That is why I gave just one option - one which I have used every day for years, and thus have personal experience to comment.
From memory, the battery lasts about 36 hours - it uses a single AAA battery.
As always, try before you buy.

How long they last is not known to me, whether the chinese have implanted a brain control device into the earpads is also
not known, not known, not known ......

Rob
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:08:10 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
PA5MW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:26 AM »

My weblog article http://pa5mw.blogspot.nl/2013/02/wsa-160m-1.html  received quite some feedback over the last 2 years.
Almost everyone replied in a similar way:

- Which headphone was best in your test??
- Why did you not test brand XY??
- Can you a add/draw me a short one-page summary and top 3?

Please allow me to repeat that the article is NOT a shootout.
It is about learning to recognize the reasons for possible differences in different areas.
Please take time to read the whole document.

And then still there are many other (personal) criteria which may help you decide which headphone suits YOU best, but are out of the scope of our listening to weak CW signals test.

Your personal choice is fine by me  Wink

73 Mark, PA5MW

p.s. some of the information originates from my daytime job on headphones where I am active for the last 12yrs

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 04:55:31 AM »

By the way, the QC-25's have passive play thru in the event of battery failure.  It will operate an average of 35 hours on a single AAA.  As with all of the Bose QC lineup, the noise cancellation is not designed for transient noise, but rather the drone of jet engines, fans, road noise, etc.  With the cans on, I can clearly hear my wife yell (transient noise at its best) down the steps for me when dinner is ready.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:09 PM »

The best noise isolation I ever had:

. . . a pair of in-ear phones (I think they were Skullcandy "Ink'd")

. . . with a pair of industrial "hearing protectors" (red plastic, about 30 dB noise reduction) over them.

The beauty of the setup was that you could run the phones at low volume -- there was no "external noise" for the signal to overcome.

It was cheap, and very effective.  But you'd miss the call for dinner.

.         Charles
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: