Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the HiFi headsets like Bose good for amateur radio?  (Read 1997 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 08:03:52 PM »

I am with Chuck on this one. I have NOT done lots of side by side comparisons of this and that headphones with lots of measurements. I have compared my Heil ProSet headphones to my "HiFi" JVC noise cancelling headphones. The ProSet phones are AROUND the ears "noise cancellation" while the JVC are on the ears "active" noise cancelling. For low band DXing on CW the JVC phones blow away the Heil ProSet phones. This is ESPECIALLY true when using the NC feature on the JVC phones, but I find that even in "non-NC" mode I prefer the sound of the JVC "hiFi" phones to the Heil ProSet.

I think the moral of the story is "measurements be damned", it is a matter of personal preference and while it seem "impossible" for me to prefer the JVC NC phones, in reality I do. I have used them side-by-side for years, I honestly DO prefer the HiFi phones even for weak signal CW work.

paul
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »

As I've stated before.  I use an older pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2 noise cancelling headphones for cw.   Very comfortable and very quiet.  Really helps when copying weak signals.  No problems with RFI at 500 watts. Still available used at half the cost of new. Check Ebay.  -Joe
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »

using a yogo brand of 'phones - Chinese probably.
- whole of ear type muff are on them.
so just place them forward a little, as suggested elsewhere.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »

I honestly DO prefer the HiFi phones even for weak signal CW work.
paul

ME too. I have probably a dozen headphones laying around. Several were made just for communications including a Heil Pro mic headset and the others are ipod headphones of one type or another. I really like my Skullcandy earbuds but I can not use them for long periods of time, they hurt my ears. Plus they shut me off from the world which makes my wife unhappy.

I have 2 favorites. One is the Sennheiser HD238 made for ipods. I have used this headphone for a couple of years. It is very comfortable, and is open air type so I can hear my wife hollering "Dinner Time". Besides that they really sound good. I used the multi-band RX equalizer built into my TS-590s to get them sounding just the way I want.

In April my wife dragged me to a Flea Market. I found a set of Dr. Dre headphones. They were brand new in an original box. These are highly hyped headphones for the Rap music crowd. The price was only $25. Since I had my iphone with me I looked the model up on Amazon, they were about $200. I figured they must be stolen or shoplifted. I asked the fellow selling them if I could try them on my iphone to see how they sounded. Well, I loved them, I offered the guy $20, he said $23 and I walked off with them.

I use them for music but found I really like them for hamradio too. Very comfortable and the hyper red color makes me really stand out as a ham. My wife says I look 30 years younger when I wear the Dr Dre's, I feel younger too..  Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

My advice, use what sounds great to your ears, if you want good sound and look super cool get the Dr. Dre's...

I think the moral of the story is "measurements be damned", it is a matter of personal preference  
paul

Right on Bro.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:10:53 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: