Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One thing I Really Like About CW  (Read 1457 times)
KB3ONA

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »

I'm primarily a CW/QRP op and I've recently been doing a lot of digital modes which I also enjoy. One thing I've noticed about digital QSO's though is they mostly occur on the highest non-WARC frequencies supporting propagation, and recently that's been 20m. In my experience lately it's been rare to find PSK or Olivia signals on 30m, 40m, or 80m which I think is a shame because digital modes do quite well on those bands. In contrast CW can be found on most any band at all times of the day. There are many reasons why I like CW but I think that is one of the top reasons - you never have a problem finding a CW signal no matter what band you're tuned in to. It makes it easier to target locations that may not be open on the higher frequencies or are open to the WARC bands. Just my $0.02.

Gene
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »

I kinda agree with KB3ONA statement, BUT I am not a CW/QRP operator.

I enjoy digital (mostly Olivia and PSK) modes, with getting back into CW.
My power is never above 90-watts, not QRP though.

He's correct about 20-meters; digital QSO's are rare on 80, 40, & 30m.
The CW mode does seem to be popular.

Ken KC8Y
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »

Digital QSOs seem to pick up, particularly on 80 and 40, in the winter months.  Even 160 has digital QSOs in the winter up around 1838 kHz.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »

We were looking for PSK on 40 ( 40 used to be the hangout) during Field day but also noticed the migration to 20. What's up with that?

WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

Another random observation: this afternoon I've been monitoring 15 meters from Minnesota. I watched the waterfall on the PSK freq and saw little to no activity. Switched over to WSJT and started monitoring JT65 and it was hopping. I wasn't paying attention but looked up and saw that I missed a CQ from a 4Z5. I am seeing South Americans working Europe. As one ham in England said, he'd rather watch paint dry than work JT65 but if you just want to log some DX it's a viable alternative and the growth with JT65 has amazed me. I started using it about 4 years ago and thought it wouldn't ever catch on. Man, was I wrong.

73 Doc WB0FDJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: