Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Morse Learning Campaign  (Read 75619 times)
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »

On lcwo.net the word training has an option to pick only words containing characters up to Koch lesson N (where N is 12 or greater). The catch is it uses a progression that differs from LCWO and G4FON in a few small but significant ways...

OK I just played with that but it seems to just go word by word, rather than generating, say, a 5-minute drill. I mainly wanted something I could listen to while away from the computer ... at the gym, during my daily walks, etc. Pity, because otherwise it's pretty close to what I'm looking for.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »

I'm finding what I wanted ... as usual the trick is knowing the right search term in Google.

Try "wordlist generator" and a whole world of possibilities opens up....

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

A warning to anyone who follows my foosteps and googles "wordlist generator."

I guess I'm naive, I didn't realize that the primary use of such programs is to break passwords. So, they generate a huge number of words that hackers can then use to attempt break-ins.

So tread carefully. The first program I downloaded was judged "safe" by my Norton software. But it proceeded to install all sorts of malware on my system, which took a little while to exterminate. I spent several minutes uninstalling programs I'd never asked for, and clearing my browser cache completely.

Sigh.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »

Never mind, I'm giving up on this word-generator quest for the moment. Far too many of the Google hits are for products that are clearly intended for password-breaking and I'm scared that this innocent search for an English-language random word generator from limited character sets could accidentally cause me to download something nasty. It's already happened once, and that's enough.

Back to the random-character drills....

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »

With Just Learn Morse Code you can use your own lists.  The software selects one random line at a time from a text file.

Each line can contain a word, phrase, sentence, QSO, number, callsign, whatever you want.

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »

Never mind, I'm giving up on this word-generator quest for the moment. Far too many of the Google hits are for products that are clearly intended for password-breaking and I'm scared that this innocent search for an English-language random word generator from limited character sets could accidentally cause me to download something nasty. It's already happened once, and that's enough.

Back to the random-character drills....

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

On my website you can find file2.mp3 that are 899 words with your learned characterset sofar, plain english, with a Dutch accent, and character speed 20 wpm  effective speed 17 wpm. http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/file2.mp3
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »

On my website you can find file2.mp3 that are 899 words with your learned characterset so far, plain English, with a Dutch accent, and character speed 20 wpm  effective speed 17 wpm. http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/file2.mp3

I realised because there are different definitions going around of effective speed that the file2.mp3 has used the definition that letter and wordspaced only are lengthened to the size used with 17 wpm.

The ARRL uses another definition: the spaces are such that the transfer speed is lowered to 17 wpm.  

I made another file http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/file2us.mp3 that is 20/17 to the arrl standard.

Furthermore you can find the text file2.txt  on http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/file2.txt, when you copy that in your computer on the right place it is available when you start JustLearnMorseCode in order to play it random when you want with the speedset you want, as mentioned earlier in this thread by the author.

The added value is that you have a textfile of plain English with the character set you specified. That is a feature not available in JustLearnMorseCode.  

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:20:40 AM by PA0WV » Logged
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »

Sid and Wim: thank you VERY much!

For Wim: so what happens when I reach the next level ... I'm only on 24 elements ... you've generated a custom set of 899 English words based on those 24 characters, and a text file -- how did you do it?

For Sid: thank you for the JLMC randomizer that uses words from a generated list!

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2014, 09:14:43 AM »

Sid and Wim: thank you VERY much!

For Wim: so what happens when I reach the next level ... I'm only on 24 elements ... you've generated a custom set of 899 English words based on those 24 characters, and a text file -- how did you do it?

I wrote a program yesterday night, the input is a word thesaurus in your language the output (second parameter) is file2.txt and an additional the third parm  is a string with all by you known characters (don't forget the space).

I will sent you in email a link to my website, so that you can download and use the program for a (your) larger thesaurus of words, and another string of characters known by you.

Do however remember that different character and effective speeds give a distorted Morse sound. MUCH MORE than the difference between 4 and 3 dits dashes and letter spaces, about which a pair of old timers were nitpicking recently.

So don't try to get used to the sounds of whole words, but just read during reception.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:26:10 AM by PA0WV » Logged
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »

Wim, I cannot thank you enough, that's fantastic!

I do think one of the biggest problems with the Koch method is this business of copying random character groups. I guess it's OK if you're a fast learner and get all the way through the course in a month or two ... but for me, it is taking longer. Being able to copy "real words" will help quite a lot, I think. I have already been copying real QSOs and W1AW transmissions on the ham bands but it's been frustrating: I miss a lot of characters simply because I haven't learned them yet!

What I plan to do with the files generated from your software is listen to them with headphones while going for a walk, or doing other things, and just getting used to the sound of "real words." It is a quite different "feel" compared to the random groups ... and "head copy" is possible -- I have never been able to "head copy" the random drills in fact I am not sure that "head copy" of random groups makes any sense at all.

Do however remember that different character and effective speeds give a distorted Morse sound. MUCH MORE than the difference between 4 and 3 dits dashes and letter spaces, about which a pair of old timers were nitpicking recently.

So don't try to get used to the sounds of whole words, but just read during reception.

That is what I want to do: become accustomed to copying whole words, but not necessarily as a "single sound." It's very different to copying on paper because you have to keep the letters in a sort of "memory buffer" until the word makes some sort of sense. With a pencil, you can just write down the letter without memorizing it at all....

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »

This is worth looking at - Take a look if you will -

HQX Morse Program

http://htc.ch/en/morstrainer

73 JIM
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »

This is worth looking at - Take a look if you will -

HQX Morse Program

http://htc.ch/en/morstrainer

73 JIM

Thanks again everyone. I will look into all of your suggestions.

The past couple of days I've been working on a lot of non-ham business and family stuff. I'm also going to be away, traveling on business, for most of the rest of this week.

My recent Morse learning sessions (past two days) have been terrible, but I'm blaming that on general stress and exhaustion. Being very tired is not good for learning Morse, or anything else for that matter!

It's a temporary problem. I'm taking practice MP3 files with me so I can keep up the practice during my trip.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2014, 01:45:52 AM »

Away on business until next week, taking code files with me.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KK4MRN

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2014, 06:05:04 AM »

Martin,
I'm glad to see you're still at it.   Shamefully, I am not practicing like I did in November and December, but I do listen to a little on the air.  And when I'm at work, I listen to a code practice app on my smartphone.  People thinks it's an MP3 player and that I'm listening to music.

- Daniel, KK4MRN.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2014, 05:29:31 AM »

Just back from a business trip to California. Also had the opportunity to have lunch with CW op Steve Katz (WB2WIK) at a fish restaurant on the beach near Malibu ... he teased me by saying he had considered turning up with a code oscillator so he could assess my code skills, but thankfully he didn't! (Those of you who have the book "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy" will find Steve quoted on the subject of learning Morse.)

During my trip, I kept up the Morse practice at the 24-character level. Had some very good sessions, although I wonder what the other passengers in the airline lounges thought I was doing! Still working on getting a consistent result before pushing on, but it's looking good. At the moment my biggest problem seems to be "being in the right frame of mind" and especially, not being tired or stressed. I am doing plenty of Morse practice (probably averaging one hour per day for the past 2.5 months)!

I also visited the HRO store in Anaheim and tried out a rather expensive straight key (Bencher RJ-1) and decided that I very much like a "Navy Knob." The Bencher key, while very nice, felt a little "small" to me -- I'm looking for a rather larger key. My current key (Ameco-K4) isn't bad, although I did have to make some alterations by replacing the tension spring (which was too stiff); but I've come to feel that something more "massive" would suit me better.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: