Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified RFI  (Read 9505 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »

Has anyone heard this type RFI and do you know what caused it? To me, it sounds like data chatter. You can see in the video how strong it is-it totally consumes R. Australia on 21740kHz even though they're at +10 over. It happens every day about 4:00pm and lasts for a few hours. Here's a video
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/ridgerocker2001/media/MVI_0306_zpsb4bc9855.mp4.html
I also get another "computing" type RFI in the evenings that is just as wideband and annoys the heck out of mostly 5-7megs. When I get a clip of that one I'll put it in here too with the hope that someone can nail it too.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »

Did you try turning off the mains to see if the source is within your residence?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:39:33 AM »

K5LXP-yeah-my QTH is clear. I wish it could be something within my reach. This is either a neighbor's wifi (?) or maybe some broadband leakage on the lines right outside my windows of my 3rd floor apartment. Just guessing. This stuff's always hard to solve-and like another ham said in another thread-if you do solve it there'll be another one to take its place.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

The good news is that it is regular and not 24/7.  That helps pinpoint the source. When did it start happening?  Any new neighbors move in lately?  Any new equipment installed in the building lately such as new lighting, HVAC, alarm system?  Do you have a portable AM receiver you can walk around with inside and outside of building too where the RFI is present?  What does the noise sound like on side band?  Where is you antenna located? 
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »

KB3KJS-
thanks for the questions. Starting about 3 months ago
-There are utility lines parallel to my antennas/shack@50'/40' and only about 20' away.
-A new neighbor moved in below me (I think he's the cause of my other evening RFI)
-They recently installed those "halo" type flourescent lights out on the hallways.
The RFI sounds on SSB I will have to observe and get back to you-I never thought of that.
My antenna is on the roof up 45' from earth level. On my square building, at the corner of an intersection, the endfeedpoint is at the southeast corner, the 100' wire runs 45' north to the northeast corner, then turns in continuum and runs west 55' to west corner. That antenna runs opposite parallel to the utilities (which means the far end points right at the north-south utilities, the endfeed runs away from the east-west utilities)
I pinpointed an offending neighbor 2 years back with a pocket radio. Judging by his reaction and lightning fast corrective action..grow lights Grin
I will do that again when I get some time-thanks for the suggestion and for the help!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:49:33 AM by HFCRUSR » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

Near intersection?? Maybe new traffic light controls or the new RC surveillance equipment put up in these areas.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

W1JKA
no traffic lights near here. This will take me fishing it out on foot here with a portable SW. Thanks for the ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: