Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10M Contest This Weekend - FB conditions  (Read 15817 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:37 AM »

The ARRL 10M contest is this weekend and the solar flux level is at 175, promising a fun weekend.

The contest is for both CW and SSB. If you in the US the exchange is RST + state, DX sends a serial number instead of state. Full rules here.

We may not see these type of conditions on 10m for many years, so take advantage.

I'll be one of the remote operators of K4V on Saturday, look for us.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:35:47 AM »

The last three years I've been trying to put an entry in for the ARRL 10m contest.

Last couple of years the weather conspired against me with massively high winds and snow/ice. This year I've shot myself in the foot. Last night I put up my mast and guyed it all. When putting it up I pondered whether to put up the top section as its quite thin but thought it was only 25MPH winds forecast for Saturday night to Sunday morning so it'd be OK. So in the calm of last night up she went.

Wife went shopping today and when she came back she came into the shack and said I should take a look. Sure as eggs is eggs the top section is all over the place and we're not anywhere near 25MPH + gusts which is forecast for later tonight. As I dropped it down and the tension came off the guys the wind picked up and started gusting. Took a fair bit of getting down with us both pulling on guy lines to get it straight enough so it'd drop.

No chance in hell that's going up again so I guess that's three years in a row.

Bloody weather.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:47:16 AM »

Just checked out 10m, who said CW was dead or dying Huh
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »

So far condx are much better this year.  I have tripled my score from last year and there's still another day to go! ! !

Mike
K2TTM

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:34 AM »

I operated several hours on Saturday am, remotely operating K4VV which was using the callsign K4V. Had Skype audio problems, so had to keep asking for repeats - even though the RF conditions were phenomenal.

On Sunday got on a few hours from my home station, 100w to a off center fed dipole at 15m high that is *not* a great performer, and still had a lot of fun. Booming signals from SU9AF, ZM90DX, VK4KW, many JAs, etc. Early in the am, 1200z, only France was strong - easily 15db above other EU here. Then as the sun rose, signals from EU evened out and were strong from everywhere.

John K3TN

John K3TN
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »

Just checked out 10m, who said CW was dead or dying Huh

NO KIDDING!! 

The CW was wall-to-wall up through the beacon sub-band!
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »

I rigged up a 10m vertical dipole especially for this contest.  I operated for just an hour and made 21 contacts with US stations, running 100w from my Icom 718.  For me, this was a huge success, so a big 'thank you' to all the operators who pulled me out of the noise. It was great fun!

Jonathan, M5AEO, London.

KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »

This was the first time I was able to actually try making those fast contest type contacts.  Up till now I was too shy being new to ham.  I did not participate as far as the contest goes, but made LOTS and LOTS of contacts Sunday.  I don't remember the count, but it had to be over 100.  I am on the west coast and made it all over the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, Brazil, France and other places I can't even remember.  All that on 100w or less on  my MFJ Loop on my 35' roof.  What a blast!!  And at 00:00 Sunday the band when totally dead.  I suspect all the operators all went for a beer and a nap.

What a great hobby!

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »

Ten meters is awesome & fickle.  It's amazing what a 100 watts and a Windom & Hexbeam can do when condx are right.  Domestic propagation strongly favored the U.S. west for us up in the Northeast, while 4 land was hard to come by.  Never heard so many stations from ID, ND, SD & WY before on 10.  Looked all over for KY, AL, GA & SC and considered myself lucky to get Fla.  Also the Caribbean was unusually quiet here, but the EU's more than made up for it.

BTW, where was Africa? No D4C or 3V8BB who are usually very active in the contests. 

Wonder what it'll be like next year.

Mike
K2TTM

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »

I heard one Africa station but it was such a pile-up each time I tried I finally gave up...Did not hear any others.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

I heard one Africa station but it was such a pile-up each time I tried I finally gave up...Did not hear any others.

I made an African contact early in the contest with no pile up, I could not later on bust trough the pile up to Australian station that was 59+20 into Ohio
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »

BTW, where was Africa? No D4C or 3V8BB who are usually very active in the contests.  

10M was so good I even made phone Q's :-). Stateside, never got KY or MO. KS and CO were coming in gangbusters, but no MO.

I live not too far from you and worked lots of FL and GA. In Africa I worked V55V and D4C (both only on phone) and several ZS, as well as "techically Africa" CN, CT3, EA8.

One mult I never got, must be the magic of skip zones: I saw C6 spotted continuously but could never hear. I have never ever worked C6 on 10M.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:49:17 AM by N3QE » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

Its strange how 10 is open with hundreds of stations on the air during a big contest like this, but afterwords when the contest is over or on a regular day the band is almost dead. That always amazed me how that works. 73 Jim W5JJG
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »

Good point. I worked more longpath on paths that I never  new supported long path on 10 meters. Even worked longpath at times when long path was not expected.  I used a Ultrabeam as a spotting antenna which made discovering these  paths easy. Even though this sunspot cycle is considered to be poor there are some unusual long path conditions that I never encountered through the best past cycles.

Its a shame that all this good contest hardware is used so infrequently. Maybe all these contest super stations could offer their stations for remote use during non contest times. As an alternative they could just offer a remote receiver capability like websdr.org for propagation checking by many  ham users.

Another band that also has been surprising me is 12 meters. When contests are there  is flight of stations to the 12 meter band, again disproving the dead band syndrome.
We really need to  be start being real hams again and start calling CQ rather than sitting on the internet or watching the cluster. The bands are open and it just disappoints me calling CQ into Asia and the Pacific knowing that the band is open and there is nobody around  tuning the bands. I have never encountered such low levels of activity during a sunspot speak. Its definitely not bands conditions 10 is wide open.

Its strange how 10 is open with hundreds of stations on the air during a big contest like this, but afterwords when the contest is over or on a regular day the band is almost dead. That always amazed me how that works. 73 Jim W5JJG
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »

I got around 120 phone contacts, mostly into AZ.  I can only reach the west coast on this band from Ohio. The only people I reached closer than Vegas was 2 people less than a mile from me. I can see one of those guy's antennas from my back field!!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: