Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closing old threads  (Read 4490 times)
N4GKS

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »

More than once I see new posts to threads that may be years old and the original post may have been resolved or is no longer even relevant. Can these old threads be closed for further comments? The especially controversial theads, that may have died down, only to be brought back to life by someone who does not notice the start date is rather annoying.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:48:25 AM »

I agree that old threads, like over one year, should be put in an archive section and if they need to be resurrected in that forum, then that person is happy, instead of a re-play and opening old wounds.
eHam is turning into one of the Ham internet forums that I do not visit much. A lot of flaming and bad manners. I have gotten into some frays and let the one who is trying to dominate the thread with his final comments have the last word.
New Hams really take a beating in eHam and I know it gets old to see the same posts over and over for questions like, "what antenna should I put up". Or tuning questions for linear amps. 
Seems like everyone wants to Quick Start everything. Buy used gear from eBay and are totally clueless on its operation.
Maybe there should be a Newly Licensed forum on "How To Set Up Your First Ham Station"; and questions asked there and hopefully the "online Elmers" would help with some responses to newbie questions. Flaming not allowed!
Sorry for my blog/rant
Fred
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:56 AM »

Maybe there should be a Newly Licensed forum on "How To Set Up Your First Ham Station"; and questions asked there and hopefully the "online Elmers" would help with some responses to newbie questions. Flaming not allowed!
Sorry for my blog/rant
Fred

This is exactly what they do on RadioReference. There is a "New Users/Getting Started" forum over there and here are the rules:

This forum has a zero tolerance policy in regard to abusing new users. You are not permitted to criticize, ridicule, patronize, talk condescendingly or suspiciously question anyone asking for help in this forum.

Anyone violating this rule will not receive a warning, they will receive a full infraction. As the infractions build up you will lose the ability to post.

This needs to be a welcoming, friendly forum with good attitudes. Please also do not get technical in explanation. Be aware that new people will not understand you.

If you cannot follow these guidelines then I urge you to stay out of this forum. Thanks for your cooperation!

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »

Well, there are really two separate issues in this thread.

1) These forums are set up to warn someone when they are about to respond to an old thread. 

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

We like to leave the option open to post but I agree it's not without risk.

2) As far as the newbie forum goes - "Elmers" is supposed to be that forum and you'd think folks lurking there would have some patience for the newbies, but it's clear that's not the case.  We generally have a hands-off approach to the forums and rely on the users of the site to report things that are out of place.  This way the site is what the users want it to be.  But knowing that, often times harsh posts go unreported and by the time someone does point it out to me, the OP has turned tail and run.  That's not good - not good at all if it's a newbie.  Also, the term "Elmers" itself is lost on some new-to-radio folks which is a fundamental problem with that name. 

Anyway, I'll see what the rest of the eHam admin staff feels about this.

Mike N2MG
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

Just my $.02, I've never been able to understand why so many people out there get their undies in a bunch over older threads being resurrected.   Whether the topic is guns, radios, or one of many other things, it appears that some just love to be "offended" by this practice
which I have found often sparks lively discussion or commentary on a given topic which someone, for whatever reason, missed when
it came around the first (or second, or third, or more) time.  I am not speaking of intentional flaming and bashing here, just resurrecting old
threads which one might come across and feel inclined to add comment to.

it is like some demographics of people (there are many, not picking on any particular one) which seemingly live to be offended by one
innocuous comment or another.

Personally, if it bothers one that much, it would seem the solution would be to quit reading and move on to another thread. 

Ray  KV4BL
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »

Well said, I'm with you Ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: