Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CF memory cards  (Read 2528 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

Does anyone know of a good source for inexpensive compact flash (cf) memory cards. I know B&H in NY City is good. Any other sources online or stores? Thanks-Mike. BTW I`m looking for lots of memory,they don`t have to be "fast" read,write times not that important.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »

What sizes and price ranges?
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »

Basically looking for at least 32GB size,but not expensive. B&H has a 32GB card for $40 shipping included. Just thought a nearby store would be just as good. Problem is local stores want too much for even low capacity (8GB). I use RAW file format,which takes up memory quickly. Is Amazon a good source?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »

I usually start looking for something that I want on Amazon.  I now have Amazon "Prime" and find many listings that ship for free using it.  I am seeing 32GB cards listed for less than $20,00.
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 06:24:08 AM »

You could try Fry's Electronics (http://www.frys.com) and NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com).  They're often a cheaper than Adorama or B&H or someplace like that, and S&H is probably less, too.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:20:08 AM »

I usually check Amazon first.  Experience has shown that Amazon has the lowest prices most of the time.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »

If your data in important to you, please consider sticking with SanDisk, Lexar, Transcend or PNY - the leaders of the pack (IMHO). I just do not trust my data with off-brands and cheap imitations.

Clint Bradford
k6lcs@ham-sat.info

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »

Amazon is OK as long as you stick with them and not one of their "side sellers".  There are a lot of counterfeit cards out there, especially on eBay, but Amazon gets a few clunker dealers too (to wit, a certain ham equipment seller who is very infamous around here).  Any name brand card from any top seller like B&H should also be safe to buy from.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »

I assume by the mention of RAW file format, you're talking about photography.  If this is the case, I'd advise against huge CF cards in your cameras.  With cards that size, if you happen to lose just one, you've lost a good portion of your shoot. 

My biggest DSLR is about 10 Megapixels and I shoot with nothing larger than an 8Gb card.  If your camera has higher resolution, you might want to go with 16Gb cards, but I wouldn't go any larger than that.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »

You can sign up for Newegg's "Shell Shocker" daily deals and then cancel after you find what you want.  They offer CF cards on sale about once a month.  I just bought three brand name 32GB C10 micro-CF cards with CF adapters for less than $15 each with free shipping through Newegg.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

I too worry about counterfeit cards. I wouldn`t consider any online(no address)type sites. Never heard of those micro cf cards. Don`t know if they`d even fit or work in my camera. Some online sites charge an arm and leg for very low (1gb or less) memory. Some even had cards in the mb range. It pays to shop around!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: