Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't y'all wish there was a separate forum for announcing new websites?  (Read 2146 times)
KF6QEX

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »

Dontcha?
 Roll Eyes
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

There is - there's a "Voting" type of a feature on the home page here - where you can add a link ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »

If someone runs across an interesting site, then yes, I'd like to see it.  When some one who owns the site comes here trying to extoll the virtues of his site, it's spam and should be deleted as such.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »

When some one who owns the site comes here trying to extoll the virtues of his site, it's spam and should be deleted as such.

An idea I like a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K6LCS: Yes I know that...but it seems all these "new site" owners prefer to blatantly advertise their new fangled web sites by registering as users and creating new threads.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:31:21 PM by KF6QEX » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

>> ... but it seems all these "new site" owners prefer to blatantly advertise their new fangled web sites by registering as users and creating new threads.

Hmmm ... But what if someone has a unique "take" on an aspect of the hobby? Calling it "advertising" has a "commercial" connotation to it, when it just may be a hobbyist site for the betterment of the hobby.

What I have personally witnessed during a recent speaking "tour" to more than 70 clubs/conventions is that "marketing" and "public relations" talents are what many clubs could use - to improve public awareness and to bolster their membership rolls.

So if someone comes here and writes up a good "media alert" "promoting" their new site, I may drop by. On the other hand, a message like, "Hey - here's my new ham social site!" is not going to get a click out of me ...

It is all "effective marketing." Some have the talent, some do not. But we HAVE to support those with the energy to truly advocate the betterment of the hobby, don't we???

Clint K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KF5ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »

Seems like this is in response to my post a few days ago...LOL.

I appreciate the feedback, even it it's not directed at me. I will state for the record, I hav ZERO financial interest in my site. Meaning, I don't want to even try to make money from it. I want to use it as a tool for hams, specifically my local area, but not limited to the local area.

If my post was considered SPAM and inappropriate, I apologize to everyone here. It's not my intent to SPAM, just to try and get the word out as best I can. If I could delete my own posts, I would do so upon request. I don't want to cause trouble.

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »

Jason - are you the person who posted about a new "social site" for hams?

Just between you and I - if you were, I didn't click to view. I didn't feel compelled to visit. The phrase, "social site," turned me off. I waste enough time on Facebook as a "social site," along with participating in the forums here and on QRZ.com.

What WOULD make me click on such a solicitation, though, would have been something more like, "We're discussing building your own inexpensive handheld beam antennas over at .... " ... or ... "Fellow hams are discussing XXX on my new ham site at ... " - something "directed" and creating an interest ...

Try to focus on a "specialty" of the hobby, instead of creating an "all-inclusive" social site. I think you might have a better response from that type of marketing strategy.

Just MY opinions, of course.  

Clint
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KF5ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »

I did not post about a new social site for hams. But I'll take your advice anyway. I'm the guy who posted about a new ham site, and accidentally posted it twice without noticing right away. I appreciate your candor.

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »

Well, you compelled me to click on your site ...

How about a "mission statement" of sorts up in the title area? Phonetically spelling your callsign is not necessary ... But something like, "Y'all don't need to be from the San Antonio, Texas area to jump in and discuss ham radio here!" - Something more inviting ...

Sorry ... my wife is a public relations professional, and sme of her marketing skills have rubbed off on me ... (grin)

Clint
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:34:22 AM by K6LCS » Logged

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KF5ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »

I never thought of that...I thought it was a neat addition when I put it up there. I'll see what I can come up with.

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »

I like the "blue" theme - psychologically soothing ... (grin)

Best of luck. You have the "right" attitude to make that successful. It can grow to be a lot of time/effort - consider a trusted participant at some point in time to become an "assistant moderator" if you find yourself spending too much time working on it ...

Clint

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »

There is already a section, under Resources, called Ham Links. Is this the kind of thing your talking about? It has a rating section and lists Top Rated Sites and New Sites.

Martin - K7MEM
www.k7mem.com

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

>> ... "Ham Links" ...

Had those for breakfast at Denny's this morning ...

Clint

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KF5ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »

HAHAHA Ham Links for breakfast...now that's funny. I actually don't mind having an assistant moderator. I'm not stingy for the most part.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: