Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shack and Uverse Internet  (Read 2179 times)
WA6LGS

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »

I'm setting up a new shack in shared space with my home office.  I am going to be changing over to AT&T Uverse Internet service and will need to run new cabling from the outside network interface box to the shack/office for the Uverse modem/wireless router.  I can use either rg6 coax or CAT5E UTP for the cable.  Which would be the better choice to minimize RFI from Uverse?  I'm leaning towards the CAT5E UTP cable but would like some educated input from the Eham community.  Thanks.

Greg
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »

Uverse uses an advanced form of DSL. Cat5 is fine. Shielded Cat6 might be better.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »

Use cat 6. I had terrible time with rg6, kept dropping video streaming even when I transmitted even 5 watts.i
WA6LGS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 03:32:54 AM »

Greg, I have Uverse here for a long time.  Some of mine is wired with Cat5 and a couple of TV's are wired with coax.  I don't have any RFI problems with either.  One thing that is really nice about Uverse is you get a static IP address.  I have a security system hooked up to my router that I watch from my iphone.  While there is software you can run to around the issue of changing IP address you won't have to worry about it with Uverse.  The router they give you is really easy to program and do port forwarding.

BTW, all my internet access is wireless.  I had them hard wired but ran out of ports.

You are going to like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: