Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 8900r or 817nd  (Read 1438 times)
W0WBT

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »

Looking to add to my com bag for a radio that can add 10m + 2m and 70cm I have other 2m only and power supply already in it. Plus several antennas already. Just trying to decide between these two units. I already know the power output difference what else should I be looking at? Look forward to users of them to comment. Thanks.(only looking for mobile type units have plenty of handhelds)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »

Looking to add to my com bag for a radio that can add 10m + 2m and 70cm I have other 2m only and power supply already in it. Plus several antennas already. Just trying to decide between these two units. I already know the power output difference what else should I be looking at? Look forward to users of them to comment. Thanks.(only looking for mobile type units have plenty of handhelds)

FT 817ND because the FT 8900 is too limiting as it only has FM. There is nothing inherently wrong with FM, but you can go much further with SSB. And you can explore the digital modes with the FT 817 ND, I doubt you can with the FT 8900. And you can always add an amp to boost the 817 if you wanted later on. Why not get the FT 857?

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W0WBT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »

Thanks I was kinda thinking the same way. Although I was just looking over the 857d it looks good also.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »

The higher power of the FT 857ND would be an advantage. But if you plan to use it with a gel cell you might want to check current consumption. Not sure how a small gel cell would work with the FT 857ND, but it is no problem with the FT 817ND.

I believe the FT 857ND can receive the weather band (useful for emergencies). But the FT 817 does not receive the WX band. But then again, an inexpensive Baofeng could serve as a WX receiver.

Both the FT 857ND and the FT 817ND can do digital modes with a Signalink or sound card interface and they both have data jacks in the back. As does the FT 897ND, but that is a larger radio. Good Luck

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W0WBT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the info
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

If you plan on upgrading your license then buy the HF rig. You'll get all you need and want in one radio.
Unless you plan on monitoring local repeaters while operating HF. Then you'll need two rigs, the VHF and HF rigs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: