Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHat is so offensive about the K3  (Read 15358 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »

KD8MJR, you helped me see the light...I decided to NOT get a KX3 this holiday season (although I was seriously tempted).

K9IUQ, you helped me see the light...I decided to NOT get a Flex 1500 this holiday season (per our previous discussions).

What I DID get (no, not kidding) was new boxers from Target (after the hack ocurred).  I also got an AlphaLoop antenna which works amazingly well even on 40 meters, and I can take on road trips for hotel operation when I can't open windows and have no balcony.

I have used the Elecraft (the K2) before on Field Day (KZ1X was my partner in crime at OCRA back in 2007, it was his rig), and I enjoyed the radio...but I kept pushing the wrong buttons, esp late at night when I got tired.  Took me awhile to get the hang of it.

Not saying my FT817ND is any easier, but after a few weeks it became second nature. 

I will confess to succumbing to some of the Flex kool-aid similar to what we are discussing here regarding Elecraft, but Stan has helped me to drink from a clear spigot and get my objective views back into focus.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »

I get nothing but fantastic audio reports using my K3, the stock mic, and internal EQ. Like any other rig, if you set it up right it will work fine for you.

Come on dude we were not born yesterday! 
I have never ever heard a K3 owner get "fantastic audio reports"  Huh Huh
You must be hanging around the K3 net when you get these reports!
The audio can be OK on a K3 but I have never heard one that was "Fantastic"

And how the hell would you know? How long have you been a ham? I bet it's under 5 years.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »

I will confess to succumbing to some of the Flex kool-aid similar to what we are discussing here regarding Elecraft, but Stan has helped me to drink from a clear spigot and get my objective views back into focus.

Stan better watch himself, the Elecraft and Flex user groups may team up to rub him out  Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »

And how the hell would you know? How long have you been a ham? I bet it's under 5 years.

And what would that have to do with it?  Even If I had been a ham for 1 year it's still a valid statement. I have never heard anyone give it a "Fantastic Audio report".   K3 don't get glowing audio audio reports unless they are talking to other K3 owner, a friend or someone who does not know good sounding audio!  That's just a fact, it's a good CW rig not a good phone rig.
And BTW there are a lot of great Red necks on 80M that have been hams for 40 years, why not go down on 80M and ask them what they think of your K3 audio Grin

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:45:40 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Come on dude we were not born yesterday!  
I have never ever heard a K3 owner get "fantastic audio reports"  Huh Huh
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ok I'll respond on this on this one. I am working on 54 years of holding a ham license. Believe me I would know. Now, tell us all how long you have been a ham and why does ham longetivity make any difference with annoying K-3 SSB audio??

Stan better watch himself, the Elecraft and Flex user groups may team up to rub him out  Grin

I did get banned from Flexradio Reflectors because I asked too many questions that were embarrassing to Flexradio.

I did belong to K-3 reflectors for a while but got quickly bored listening to everyone posting how much they love the great K-3....

I also get many hams here on eham telling everyone they put me on ignore. Of course they are lying.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:52:07 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »

I did get banned from Flexradio Reflectors because I asked too many questions that were embarrassing to Flexradio.

Wow if I got banned from the Flex Reflector I think I would Kill myself  Cheesy I mean Stan how are you making it through each and every day knowing you can't listen to great Flex conversation? (why is there no sarcasm Icon on eham Huh oh there is  Roll Eyes)

I did belong to K-3 reflectors for a while but got quickly bored listening to everyone posting how much they love the great K-3....

No need to say anymore, I have gotten a sample of that on eHam.  Going directly to the forum would be as much fun as sticking my head in a hornets nest.

I also get many hams here on eham telling everyone they put me on ignore. Of course they are lying.  Wink

I also doubt that anyone would put you on an ignore list.  Unless they don't like hearing the truth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:10:30 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »

What I DID get (no, not kidding) was new boxers from Target (after the hack occurred). 

Wow if your being serious that's just so coincidental and funny.
I am pretty sure your CC is safe, I doubt Target will have any problems again after that screw up.
After all it only took a 40 million credit card heist for them to find the problem Roll Eyes.   Can you imagine what this will cost the company.  I just hope they survive, I would hate to see Walmart get further in their ambition to be the only store in America.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »

Agreed.  I happen to be very fond of Target, as I like a bargain.  And while the K3 seems to be a superior radio from what I have heard on this forum, it does not seem like a "bargain" to me.  But as the Food Lion says in his commercial, "that's just my 2 cents." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bVaPsCKqAo
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »

It's not superior it just designed to be a very narrow radio from the front end onward so it ends up being really good at CW and that's about it.  If your a CW DX chasing op it's a great choice otherwise you can take your pick from dozens of more well balanced radios.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »

Lots of people have a strategic interest in badmouthing the K3 and KX3.  Because Elecraft only sells factory direct, the middlemen are completely cut out of the picture.  As these radios are some of the top performers in the areas that count, this is a double whammy that hurts the mercantilists in the pocketbooks.

I for one enjoy working a full featured American-made amateur radio.  Ten-Tec and Elecraft deserve our support not just for making superior products, but for the superior support they offer and the idea that it is possible to use a state of the art American made piece of consumer electronics even today.
WA2ASB

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 04:28:45 AM »

Well, I just have to put my 2 cents in here.  My first Elecraft was the KX3.  I liked it and decided to get the K3, but to build it as a kit.  I ended up getting and building the entire K3 line.  Did I enjoy building it - not so much. 

Then I bought the K1 kit and really, really enjoyed building it.  It reminded me a lot of my first kit: the Heathkit DX20.

Now about "pride".  Because of someone else's misfortune in the stock market I was able to get the BMW Z8 that they had ordered.  The whole 4 years production was sold the first month so it was a lot of being in the right place at the right time.

One day it was being admired by a bunch of Honda Golden Wing bikers that ere in Grapevine, TX for a convention.  One said to me: "You must be really proud of this."  I looked at him and said: "Why should I be proud?  I didn't design it nor did I build it."

I hate overloaded buttons, but I learn to live with it.  The only perfect rig will be the one that I design and build myself.  Then will I be proud of it?  No because I've lived with me all my life so I know me and my "talents" - it will be a piece of crap.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »

Well I've read enough now to know that a K3 is not in my future, since I like BASIC automation only I'll stick with my K1 which as far as fun to operate goes is only one notch below my Johnson Adventurer/FRG 7700 combo.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »

It's not superior it just designed to be a very narrow radio from the front end onward so it ends up being really good at CW and that's about it.  If your a CW DX chasing op it's a great choice otherwise you can take your pick from dozens of more well balanced radios.

That is a very good assessment of a K3.  If CW and DIGI are the most important thing to you, than the K3 is a very capable radio.  SSB it is very average.  I can get the audio in mine to sound decent but as far as sounding great... I don't really care, the mic stays in the desk drawer where it belongs.  It only comes out for DX contests where audio quality doesn't mean a hill of beans. 

Could I have bought a FTDX-5000 from Yaesu?  Sure, but I would have spent quite a bit more money and then had a heck of a lot less desk space to boot.  And besides, buying American means something to me. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »

That is a very good assessment of a K3. 

Here is a very interesting article about xmit performance of 14 current radios.
http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/dubus313.pdf
Discussion here: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,94245.0.html

"Two transceivers stand out as particularly bad. Those are the Flex Radio SDR transmitters." More fuel for the K-3ers and at dead last and "particularly poor performance" the Flex 5K owners are hanging their head in shame..

Stan K9IUQ
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »

It's not superior it just designed to be a very narrow radio from the front end onward so it ends up being really good at CW and that's about it.  If your a CW DX chasing op it's a great choice otherwise you can take your pick from dozens of more well balanced radios.

That is a very good assessment of a K3.  If CW and DIGI are the most important thing to you, than the K3 is a very capable radio.  SSB it is very average.  I can get the audio in mine to sound decent but as far as sounding great... I don't really care, the mic stays in the desk drawer where it belongs.  It only comes out for DX contests where audio quality doesn't mean a hill of beans.  

Could I have bought a FTDX-5000 from Yaesu?  Sure, but I would have spent quite a bit more money and then had a heck of a lot less desk space to boot.  And besides, buying American means something to me.  

Do you mean to tell me that you don't hook your radios up to real speakers?  Mine feed some Yamaha HS50M studio monitors.  No ham radio has decent speakers in my estimation, and this includes the Kenwood TS-990 and the Yaesu FTDX-9000 and FTDX-5000s all of which I have used in the past.  My standards are probably a bit higher than your average ham though.

Anyway I think if you hook a decent speaker up to any amateur radio you will find your DXing is much improved.  I think it is a necessary upgrade.  You'll hear all kinds of stuff you never did before.

Judging a ham radio by its internal speaker is like judging a car based on the trunk lighting.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:30:38 PM by KE7TMA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: