Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuba HM01 numbers over Radio Havana 5855  (Read 20713 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:28:41 AM »

I hadn't run across this before. On 5855, a strong carrier appeared, then minutes later turned into HM01 with Radio Havana's Arnie Coro and his DXers Unlimited show. Sounded like two separate transmitters at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ17PYPob9U
KB1LHE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

If you are talking about those "numbers" and "letters" stations, they are BCs for international spy activities. If so, they utilize frequencies at the edges of all international BC bands and usually are in AM mode. They use these frequencies so that agents world wide can receive coded messages via a common BC portable radio when active either in training or during an assignment. This system has been used since WW2 and is still in use today. They are refferred to as "spy number/letters stations".
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:34:36 PM »

Well, that's certainly one explanation for these broadcasts.

Lot's of different theories as to who the broadcaster is and who the audience is.

Fun stuff.

ZL2MC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »

Here you go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJdGWcNAqk

It's probably no more spooky than listening to the US EAM's on 11175 and 8992kHz!

Cheers - Martin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:10:17 PM by ZL2MC » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:37 PM »

Here you go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJdGWcNAqk

It's probably no more spooky than listening to the US EAM's on 11175 and 8992kHz!

Cheers - Martin

Thank God for the BBC.  A US television network would never spend a half hour on a story about Number Stations because they'd figure it would bore 99% of their viewers.  I don't think one necessarily had to be a short wave listener or somebody interested in espionage to appreciate that story.  All that was required was a little bit of curiosity and that's why I've always liked the BBC.  They expose one to stories about topics one might not normally hear about.

I heard my first Number Station in the early Seventies just like the man who was interviewed.  I spend much more time on the amateur bands than scanning through the rest of the SW spectrum but I still come across Number Stations over forty years after I heard my first broadcast.

Nice job BBC!

Chris  NU1O
K4TPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »

I live on the north Gulf coast of Florida and RHC comes in very strong here on multiple frequencies on the 49 meter band. I've noticed the Spanish numbers station using the same frequency used by RHC, sometimes just minutes after their broadcast ends. I wouldn't be surprised if that numbers station and RHC share transmitters.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »

The co-sharing of RHCs transmitters with these stations is well known, as several switching errors have occured over the years putting out live mic or newsreel over the numbers etc

Many many of these types of services have existed over the years, perhaps one of the most audacious was this one http://tx.mb21.co.uk/features/blue-aspidistra/
The attempt at a propaganda VHF TV service  Wink

Martin G7MRV

KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

Numbers stations are there to baffle and confuse us.  Some think they are for talking to spies in the field using a one time cipher pad, other believe they are reporting conditions back to the mother ship of some superior lizard like race of space goonies...flying about in invisible ships causing hell and havoc all over the planet.

It is important to note that NEITHER THEORY has been proven, and consequently they could both be wrong.

One night I heard "taco taco burrito gordita enchilada" and I thought it was some kind of secret code, but in reality it was my neighbor ordering from the local Taco Truck...

K9DOG says WOOF.

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »

Numbers stations are there to baffle and confuse us.  Some think they are for talking to spies in the field using a one time cipher pad, other believe they are reporting conditions back to the mother ship of some superior lizard like race of space goonies...flying about in invisible ships causing hell and havoc all over the planet.

It is important to note that NEITHER THEORY has been proven, and consequently they could both be wrong.

One night I heard "taco taco burrito gordita enchilada" and I thought it was some kind of secret code, but in reality it was my neighbor ordering from the local Taco Truck...

K9DOG says WOOF.

No, neither has been admitted, but the fact that these signals have been DF'd to known government installations is a bit of a giveaway as to the most likely! Your own FBI have even fully documented and publicised prosecutions of cuban agents caught with transcripts of these signals and the pads/software to decode them!

My own research into Blue Aspidistra took me into some rather dark places concerning these signals!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: