Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-401C for lefties  (Read 6700 times)
KJ3Q

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:14:49 AM »

I picked up a working 401c keyer. It has dits on the right and dahs on the left (thumb). I don't see any mods and the manual does not have schematics and or mention anything about this as a jumper setting. I don't want to rewire cables since my paddle cables terminate in a stereo plug and are attached to the keys correctly to work with my radio and other keyers. I have 3 paddles and they all do the same, and they all work "right" (handed) on the other keyers.

Does anybody know if there is a setting on the board or a some type of cw menu parameter you can key for the curtis chip to change this?

If not, i guess i now have a dedicated keyer to practice left hand sending. :-)

73 de Al kj3q
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »

Likely the previous owner was a lefty who reversed the tip and ring connections on the key jack in the keyer.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »

No jumpers in that unit to swap sides of the paddle.

Just open it up and reverse the two wires on the 3-terminal jack the paddle plugs into.  I'm sure that's what a previous owner did.
KJ3Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »

I didn't see jumpers but there was a reference in the manual to jumpers for changing mode a to b. I figured i could rewire the jack but did not want to do this only to find later is was a simple jumper somewhere for lefty/righty. Thanks for the feedback.
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »

I have had one of these for 35 years and it has always been backwards.  I don’t see any way to reverse it because the jack is a sealed plastic unit on the board.  So, I made a “reverser” cable with a jack on one end and a plug on the other with the dit and dah wires switched on one end.  Working fine for 35 years.  Sad
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »

I have had one of these for 35 years and it has always been backwards.  I don’t see any way to reverse it because the jack is a sealed plastic unit on the board. 

I'm certain that there is more than one opportunity for a wiring error in that device.  Cheesy
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »

Well, it's not a kit . . .
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »

If there is a ham and a soldering iron within reach, it's a kit.

K4NL Sid
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »

So, I made a “reverser” cable with a jack on one end and a plug on the other with the dit and dah wires switched on one end.

Yep - where there's a will, there's a way.
Also, where there's a will, there's a lawyer.  Grin

I finally retired my WB4VVF Accu-Keyer. I now use a K1EL WinKeyer USB. It has everything I need. By itself, it's a nice memory keyer that can be configured using either paddle input, or a free application from K1EL. When connected to my PC w/ a contest logger running (I use WriteLog), the logger sends thru it using an ASCII dump (no more corruption of Morse created by Windows). Another neat feature, when the speed is changed on the Keyer or the logger program, the other "automagically" changes to the same speed. Smiley

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »

If there is a ham and a soldering iron within reach, it's a kit.

K4NL Sid

Some would assert that MFJ makes premissassembled kits.  Shocked
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »

I have had one of these for 35 years and it has always been backwards.  I don’t see any way to reverse it because the jack is a sealed plastic unit on the board.  So, I made a “reverser” cable with a jack on one end and a plug on the other with the dit and dah wires switched on one end.  Working fine for 35 years.  Sad

FWIW -- that's the way I'd solve the problem.

I've wanted something like that, but with both 1/8" and 1/4" jacks, and plugs, and a reversing switch.  A universal paddle-to-rig interface box.   I guess I should build one, now.
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:52:03 AM »

OK, I took the thing clear apart and there weren’t any way to reverse the thing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: