Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Runner and WPX Competition mode  (Read 4445 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »

... The worst is when there's a whole horde of callers zero-beat with each other! ...

This is exactly my feelings from Morse Runner @ WPX mode. Callers often call on the same frequency even if it is 100 Hz up or down from my freq. This is probably most frustrating thing for me. But painful preparation and training makes for easy ultimate performance. Fortunately, in real on air pile up I'll be allways on the other side.

Very interesting! Using Morse Runner you are now realizing things that 90%+ of S&P callers have not yet put into practice!

I think there's a lot to learn by having been on both sides of the pileup. I don't think one can be a good S&P'er until you've been CQ'ing in obnoxious conditions. And the other way around too. Many of the best contesters are completely bored if they aren't doing both S&P and CQ at same time using SO2R!

The S&P stations really could learn to spread out a little bit and help not just overall rate for the CQ'er, but also help their own rate just by going off zero beat by a few hundred Hz one way or the other.

The CQ'ing stations, can learn how to work around the thinner fluffier edges instead of the thick dense center. Most do pretty well but there are a few who just dial their filter narrower and narrower on the center of the pileup instead of working around the edges.

You might think there's a certain synergy possible, but unfortunately the bulk of the pileup will have just clicked on the spot and have no clue what it sounds like on the other end. That's usually OK by me, as their ignorance is my advantage when I'm S&P. But as a CQ'er in a contest, it is a huge pain to have everyone zero beat with each other.

Tim.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:05:44 AM by N3QE » Logged
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »

I'll second the zero beat problem. During a past CQP contest I called CQ and half a dozen station called me, all zero beat to my frequency. What a mess. Even the signal 10 db louder than the rest could not be copied. I asked not to zero beat me but they still continued. Needles to say, I sent a lot of "agns".

To say again, if you S&P, please do not zero beat the run station. Move 50-200 Hz away and your chance of being copied will dramatically increase.
OK4FX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »

Maybe the reason is how easily we can obtain ham licence without any practical exam? I don't know about other countries, but when I did my exam four years ago the typical question from this area was:

• Split means
  • a) TX and RX on different freqencies
  • b) TX and RX on the same freqency
  • c) Operation from Split (Croatian city)
OK4FX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »

... take 2 PC's put them both on JustLearnMorse code. a textfile, plain English text, both a different speed a different tone pitch and a differend volume and a different text.

Put the audio of PC number 1 in the left part of your headphone and the audio of PC2 in the right part.

Try to copy the left one, annoying the right one, and reverse.
Also possible with speakers on without headphone.

I finally tried it with IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW for android (random size groups of random chars, one in-ear into one ear) and MorseRunner@SingleCallMode (full size headphones over the in-ear). Both signals of the same pitch and same volume.

It was difficult to copy at first, but after two three minutes it was entirely normal and I was able almost completely ignore the "false" signal because of stereo. (I'm professional musician for 25 years and I use stereo in-ears monitoring so maybe I'm somewhat trained in it.)

For on air copying, it could be nice to have some device which knows how to separate different pitches to stereo. Is it some software or hardware unit on the market?

73, Mirek OK4FX

Edit - reason: typos.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:59:36 AM by OK4FX » Logged
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »

For on air copying, it could be nice to have some device which knows how to separate different pitches to stereo. Is it some software or hardware unit on the market?

May  be a selective filter will do? That will differentiate pitches, one ear nothing (or not filtered) other ear desired signal.

73 from the Netherlands, where we still walk on wooden shoes (at least I do) because the country is below sea level, so we can just walk over the water when the guy with his finger in the dike ceases to keep doing his lazy work, and living from wind mills,  flowers, cheese, eggs and milk. And last but not least: the production of drugs (solder resin fumes) of course.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:59:24 AM by PA0WV » Logged

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: