Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10M Contest This Weekend - FB conditions  (Read 16495 times)
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »

I got around 120 phone contacts, mostly into AZ.  I can only reach the west coast on this band from Ohio. The only people I reached closer than Vegas was 2 people less than a mile from me. I can see one of those guy's antennas from my back field!!

I am Gahanna here in Ohio running an Icom 730 into a Solarcon A99 10 ft in the air and worked Africa and numerous European countries with no problems, even picked up a few new states. What are using for 10m ?
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 05:24:41 AM »

Its strange how 10 is open with hundreds of stations on the air during a big contest like this, but afterwords when the contest is over or on a regular day the band is almost dead. That always amazed me how that works. 73 Jim W5JJG

Yea I am noticing the same thing. Even as I just got back into the hobby this summer, I noticed that during the 10 m contest it was just an amazing assortment of stations I could contact. It was like going to Ham Radio Sam's Club and browsing for whatever you wanted. After the contest - almost empty. So it's not like there aren't people out there with the means to get on the air. It's the motivation. Apparently making "ordinary" contacts is mundane to many now.  Undecided
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »

Its strange how 10 is open with hundreds of stations on the air during a big contest like this, but afterwords when the contest is over or on a regular day the band is almost dead. That always amazed me how that works. 73 Jim W5JJG

Yea I am noticing the same thing. Even as I just got back into the hobby this summer, I noticed that during the 10 m contest it was just an amazing assortment of stations I could contact. It was like going to Ham Radio Sam's Club and browsing for whatever you wanted. After the contest - almost empty. So it's not like there aren't people out there with the means to get on the air. It's the motivation. Apparently making "ordinary" contacts is mundane to many now.  Undecided

Its really not that strange at all. One reason is that after a contest, I think most people have had enough and just want some "quiet time" and turn off their radio.

Another reason might be because of something one of my Elmers taught me many years ago. "Tuning across the band and not hearing anything does not necessarily mean the band is dead. In all my years, I have never heard two receivers talk to each other! At some point, someone has to do the talking!"
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 06:40:34 AM »

Ten meters is awesome & fickle.  It's amazing what a 100 watts and a Windom & Hexbeam can do when condx are right.  Domestic propagation strongly favored the U.S. west for us up in the Northeast, while 4 land was hard to come by.  Never heard so many stations from ID, ND, SD & WY before on 10.  Looked all over for KY, AL, GA & SC and considered myself lucky to get Fla.  Also the Caribbean was unusually quiet here, but the EU's more than made up for it.

BTW, where was Africa? No D4C or 3V8BB who are usually very active in the contests. 

Wonder what it'll be like next year.

Mike
K2TTM

I worked D4C with 10w and ONE CALL.  He was there.  I caught him lurking around 28.550 MHz.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: