Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First true homebrew project  (Read 13057 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »

BTU: 
This is similar to what I made as a boy, except that mine had a third coil that the antenna was connected to:

Would you happen to know the number of coil turns used on this circuit?  What is the word on the coil you added in the antenna circuit?

Al - K8AXW
VU2NAN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

Friends,

I'm 64 years old.  Since childhood I have dreamed of constructing a true homebrew device, using only a schematic diagram with no further instruction. I'm finally ready to attempt it.  Thus far, I have only had the kit building experience............................................... Where do you folks buy such parts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
WA8JNM

Hi OM Dave,

Here are some titbits which may answer some of your questions.

http://nandustips.blogspot.in/

Happy homebrewing!

Nandu.
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:59 AM »

Wait till you get to the point you don't need a schematic. That is when the fun starts.
I advise folks to build a regen first and use tubes IE 6sn7 or 12ax7. Build a Hartley osc circuit and commit that circuit to memory which is fairly easy. Add 9 volt batteries clipped together till it goes into oscillation.(approx. 130 to 140 volts ). (no sound in head phones) Remove a battery or two till a hiss or squeal can be heard in the phones and enjoy. Build an identical circuit next to it for a transmitter using enuf voltage (180v)to keep it in osc and enjoy. In regen second triode section becomes a very simple audio amp and in transmitter it becomes an Rf amp complete with a tuned output circuit. Cost is minimal It is a complete station and is operational Don't bother with crystals . Build it as a VFO.  coil ? 1 1/4 form (TP roll) 12 to 14 turns centre tapped for Hartley.
Works everytime. Amount of learning that takes place is wonderful and the joy of running your own hb station is unexplainable. After that duplicate the basic idea solid state for your next project.  After that you will never look back. it worked for me and I have watched others do the same . Understanding comes in like a flood. Mystery and goobly gook and two pages of worthless math are banished forever. Form this point on you life as a ham will completely change.
don
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: