Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable generators are these OK what do I look for ?  (Read 24486 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »

yes i should change the oil , lol, i looked at it looks and smells fine, but for careful sake will change it this week to be sure.

I cannot over stress the need to change oil in those units. Many do not often enough. Should be about every 25 hrs or every day in 24/7 usage. When in doubt change it. When i put my Chonda in storage I drain oil and store it with a quart of 5w-20 and one of 15w40. This way i use oil type based on time of year. 5w20 makes for much easier starting in cold.  While most air cooled engines call for 10w30 or straight 30 for warmer weather I have long used 15w40 because it is a heavy duty diesel oil that does well in severe duty gas in warm weather.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »

I use a Generac GP 6500. I can use it portable for field use or plug it in at home and back feed my electric panel, enabling me to use my heater, well pump, refrigerator and lighting. And this winter I put it the test during a power outage. Worked just like I hoped it would.

Good luck,

-Jay
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »

Hi gang!  in my area there are a couple of generators on sale both are in the 6.5 or 7 KW size one is made by Ipower sold by DX engineering  The other is sold by Harbour Freight tools and is named Predator and also is similar size and cost One of the things is they look almost the same , same Chinese company ?   My question is are these two suitable for running ham radio equipment on Field day or emergency and can I run my computer off of it ?  What am I looking for in a generator I think it is one that does not generate noise along with power ?  is this right ?  will either of these work ?  These both run 6 to just over 700 bucks.  thanks for your help John kb2huk

Spend a little more and get the Honda EU2000i, finest little generator on the planet, whisper quiet, your co-hams will thank you when they cant even hear the engine run.

I've had my fill of the cheaper generators, hard to get parts for, noisier, you will be the talk of the club when you roll in with a Honda EU2000i. Need a little more power, get the 3000, they have a 1000 too, but I'd go no less than the 2000 unit IMHO.

Spend the extra, this will last you the rest of your life.

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 04:07:33 AM »

Spend a little more and get the Honda EU2000i, finest little generator on the planet, whisper quiet, your co-hams will thank you when they cant even hear the engine run.

Save your money. The EU2000 is the most over priced unit on planet. If you need quite there are a few clones as quite as Honda and cost far less. This is not 1980 when units were primitive. There are a lot of fine clones out there that are very reliable.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 05:51:11 AM »

I use a Generac GP 6500. I can use it portable for field use or plug it in at home and back feed my electric panel, enabling me to use my heater, well pump, refrigerator and lighting. And this winter I put it the test during a power outage. Worked just like I hoped it would.

Good luck,

-Jay

Note that the National Electric Code (NEC) requires a mechanical interlock when back feeding an electric panel so that it is not possible to turn on both the main breaker and the generator breaker at the same time. Doing so would energize the power lines and endanger the lives of lineman working to restore power on a supposedly dead line.

Here's an example: http://natramelec.com/genswitch/m/m3/m3.htm
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 07:11:01 AM »

Good luck,

-Jay

Note that the National Electric Code (NEC) requires a mechanical interlock when back feeding an electric panel so that it is not possible to turn on both the main breaker and the generator breaker at the same time. Doing so would energize the power lines and endanger the lives of lineman working to restore power on a supposedly dead line.

In my setup I created a sub panel that feeds select circuits and it is feed through a transfer switch allow main panel or generator to feed it. By using this setup I am also able to better balance load on 120v legs of generator. You will not get 6k out of a 6k unit unless load is balanced fairly good.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:38:44 AM by W8JX » Logged

K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »

Good luck,

-Jay

AA4PB is correct on this point. The mains MUST be disconnected prior to back feeding power. Mine is setup in just this manner. Seek help from a qualified electrician if necessary.

W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »

Save your money. The EU2000 is the most over priced unit on planet. If you need quite there are a few clones as quite as Honda and cost far less. This is not 1980 when units were primitive. There are a lot of fine clones out there that are very reliable.

Spend the extra money and get the Honda EU2000i, money well spent.  I have been down the cheap tool route and I am finished with that. I want stuff to work when I need it and parts to be available when I need it and not have to buy a half rack of the lower priced units for spare parts. The chinese clones are hard or impossible to get parts after the 2-3 year mark.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »

Spend the extra money and get the Honda EU2000i, money well spent.  I have been down the cheap tool route and I am finished with that. I want stuff to work when I need it and parts to be available when I need it and not have to buy a half rack of the lower priced units for spare parts. The chinese clones are hard or impossible to get parts after the 2-3 year mark.

Well Chonda engine parts will interchange with Honda parts "if" you need them but i have not in 6 years+ now. Poor logic to spend 6 or 7x as much now just in case you might need overpriced parts to fix a over priced unit. You know i could buy a new Chonda every 3 years and still be money ahead 15 years from now and have a new unit too while your stuckwith a 15 year old one.

W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »

First off, 6 to 7 times as much?  Where do you price them, Macys? I cant find a comparable one that is more than 1/2 as cheap.

The parts will not interchange. There is many cases, there is slight difference, enough to make them not work. That would be limited to the engine, I suspect the housing, generator, inverter, nothing will interchange along with any of the electronics. Just some very basic engine parts. I'd rather have one that always works instead of having to run out and buy a new one (try doing that when an outage occurs and you have no power)  every so often. I dont see that as a positive. But that is a neat spin though.  Roll Eyes

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »

First off, 6 to 7 times as much?  Where do you price them, Macys? I cant find a comparable one that is more than 1/2 as cheap.

The parts will not interchange. There is many cases, there is slight difference, enough to make them not work. That would be limited to the engine, I suspect the housing, generator, inverter, nothing will interchange along with any of the electronics. Just some very basic engine parts. I'd rather have one that always works instead of having to run out and buy a new one (try doing that when an outage occurs and you have no power)  every so often. I dont see that as a positive. But that is a neat spin though.  Roll Eyes

If it's a true Chonda the engine parts will swap. BTW mine has always worked when needed and it has be severely over loaded at times too and still running strong. I can buy a new 2000 watt chonda here for 200 to 250 every day. How much for a 2k honda?

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

If it's a true Chonda the engine parts will swap. BTW mine has always worked when needed and it has be severely over loaded at times too and still running strong. I can buy a new 2000 watt chonda here for 200 to 250 every day. How much for a 2k honda?

So what is the make and model number of this Chonda? And where do you buy it/them? That will be the final tell all to your argument. Without those 3 details, your just barking in the wind. Your wisdom has had no proof of comparison to defend your claims without such details.

Not to mention that if your claims are really true, it would be great information for others so they don't "waste their money" as you so often say.

Time to put up or shut up! Time to man up and give details! It is only your credibility at stake here.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 04:21:10 AM »

So what is the make and model number of this Chonda? And where do you buy it/them? That will be the final tell all to your argument. Without those 3 details, your just barking in the wind. Your wisdom has had no proof of comparison to defend your claims without such details.

Not to mention that if your claims are really true, it would be great information for others so they don't "waste their money" as you so often say.

Time to put up or shut up! Time to man up and give details! It is only your credibility at stake here.

No price on Honda?  I have seen Chondas at a place called Rural King, Tractor Supply and Menards to name a few

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 06:18:21 AM »

No price on Honda?  I have seen Chondas at a place called Rural King, Tractor Supply and Menards to name a few

I thought you own them by what you have said. So you have no make or model number? Plus it was not me who even cares about the price. I am more interested in proving or dis proving your statement that the Chinese Hondas are interchangeable with Honda parts and vice versa. But as usual, you didn't provide any useful information to back your claim. Typical W8JX answers...lots of words with no substance. It is what I expected based on your past exchanges.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »

I thought you own them by what you have said. So you have no make or model number? Plus it was not me who even cares about the price. I am more interested in proving or dis proving your statement that the Chinese Hondas are interchangeable with Honda parts and vice versa. But as usual, you didn't provide any useful information to back your claim. Typical W8JX answers...lots of words with no substance. It is what I expected based on your past exchanges.

Your comment makes no sense. Maybe because I have not drank the Honda koolaid. Bottom line is if it makes you feel good to spend a lot for a little then go for it. Myself I want value for my dollar and I have had no problems with knock offs and I am considering getting another one too. BTW the few generators I have seen fail mechanically have been from lack of oil or oil changes. I have seen I few units that burned oil because their owner's would run them for several days or longer and never change oil. Oil is very critical because not only for luring but also for cooling internal b
Parts too.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: