Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmitter kit for 160 meters  (Read 9252 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »

160 is surely fun but it's extremely tough. It's tough running a gallon when dxing let alone QRP. Be prepared for disappointment.

Personally I leave that band to the very experienced dxers. These dxer's have proven themselves by working every country on each of the bands and then moved to 160 mtrs for the ultimate challenge. My advise to you-contact via email these 160 mtr dxers and pose the question to them. They will give you an honest appraisal than what you will find here on this little forum with inexperienced operators. You are seeking answers here from hams who have just barely met DXCC requirements who are know it all's and blowhards!

N4

I have a Sprint kit rig on 40 m but I have had my best luck with a home brew and a modified Howe kit rig on 80 meters.

This is because I am usually on in the evening with rather slow CW.

I recently put up a 160 meter antenna for my QRO rig an have had some success so I thought QRP might be fun.

As you might have guessed I like to diddle.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:38:53 AM by N4DSP » Logged
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »

They will give you an honest appraisal than what you will find here on this little forum with inexperienced operators. You are seeking answers here from hams who have just barely met DXCC requirements who are know it all's and blowhards!

Well, I know the OM from NC couldn't be referring to me, as he has publicly stated no more comments from him to me...of course, this isn't to me as much as it appears to be a dig at me...at least it seems that way to me.  Whatever.

I recently put up a 160 meter antenna for my QRO rig an have had some success so I thought QRP might be fun.
What antenna did you put up on 160?  I know you said you had an inverted-L on 80...the same would be a good choice on 160, especially if you have a decent radial field under it.  Low-noise RX antennas are nice, but less important when you're running only 5 watts. 

I know a lot of guys on QRP-L have been discussing 160 operations lately and seem to be having fun using low power on that band,  particularly during the recent contests.  A number of operators made over 300 QSOs in the ARRL 160 contest last month running QRP.  As always, contests are a good time to make QSOs while QRP, as the serious contesters are looking hard for contacts.  This guys also tend to have Beverages and are able to dig weaker signals out of the noise.  Also, on 160, the code speeds tend to be a little slower than on the higher bands during contests if that matters.  I know that was the case when I was actively contesting on the band in the 90s and early 2000s...and it seemed to be the case when I listened to the Stew Perry contest a few days back. 

I doubt I'll get anything up for the band for this season, but hope to join you there next winter perhaps. 

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 04:20:08 PM »

Recently the band noise on 80 and 160 has been low.  I can not transmit (yet) on 160 but QRP 80m has been decent lately.
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 07:54:59 PM »

I cannot speak for others but I has been building radios just for the shear joy of making them work since my novice ticket in 1962.

No DX goals, no contests objectives not even certificate hunting. The ability to wire up components and talk to others near or far is its own reward.

Along with radios comes antenna experiments and in the early years a lot of 2 meter activities before FM and repeaters.

Over time I have a couple of pet rigs that I continue to "improve" on but for the most part there is always one more radio to try.

Give the amount of open space on 160 meters, I doubt that anyone's preferred activity will be crowded out any time soon.
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »

Very well stated. True ham spirit to have the ability to build a radio and the excitement that follows making contact with someone across town or in another city or state.

Thanks.

I cannot speak for others but I has been building radios just for the shear joy of making them work since my novice ticket in 1962.

No DX goals, no contests objectives not even certificate hunting. The ability to wire up components and talk to others near or far is its own reward.

Along with radios comes antenna experiments and in the early years a lot of 2 meter activities before FM and repeaters.

Over time I have a couple of pet rigs that I continue to "improve" on but for the most part there is always one more radio to try.

Give the amount of open space on 160 meters, I doubt that anyone's preferred activity will be crowded out any time soon.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »

I know you said transmitter but here's a transceiver I have still in kit form. Not sure yet whether to build it or sell it but I'll make a decision within a couple weeks if you feel you may be interested.
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2013/09/25/unassembled-160m-qrp-kit-from-1996-found/

John AE5X
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »

Nice!
LOVE all of Dave Benson's kits.
Wow...an unbuilt 160m QRP kit rig is a great find.
And I thought I was lucky when I found an unbuilt SWL PSK-10
(Yes, PSK-10)
Dave made and sold boatloads of PSK-20's. PSK-40's,
and Warblers (80m)...but very few 10m PSK kit rigs...
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 07:30:25 AM »

From my previous post, my interest in 160m QRP has been tweaked. I built a 1.8 to 2.0 MHz VFO, now I am looking for a transmitter kit.

If I have to I will start from scratch but experience has shown me that it is easier and cheaper to purchase a kit than to chase down components.

So the question is; who makes a transmitter kit for 160 meters?       

Try Kits and Parts..   http://www.kitsandparts.com/rftoolkits.php
You have the VFO, all you need is a amp and low pass filter. You may have to adjust the size of the broadband transformer in the amp..
There is a forum there and you can get a lot of help.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: