Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAS CB LIDS DESTROYED THE HAM BANDS?  (Read 20372 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »

CB lids haven't destroyed the ham bands!  If anything is destroying the ham bands it's the dumbing down of the exams and eliminating the normal interaction of hams and a potential ham.

The real lids are those guys, mostly on 80M phone, who use profanity, are ignorant and intolerant to anyone else except their little clique.  Those are the lids.  They are mostly old farts who have been licensed for decades.  These are the ones who are ruining the bands. 

I have to be very careful when tuning around when my grand-kids are present because of these lids.  My grand-kids are never offended when they hear "good buddy," "bring it back" and the rest of the CB jargon.

Most CB'rs and former CB'rs who get into ham radio have to go through a period where they un-learn some of their lingo and learn the typical ham procedure.  All do eventually and in the meantime it's prudent that we "old farts" show some consideration and understanding.

If you have any doubt about this, try to recall when you first got on the air and the stupid things you said or did.  Correcting them on the air isn't necessary or a good idea.  Leave them alone and they will learn for themselves.  I have watched this process for years.

Al - K8AXW

W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »

I'm proud to be a CB LID, started with CB in 1968 and got my HAM ticket in 1970. I have been enjoying all aspects of the hobby evey since.Sure, the dumbing down of the bands annoys me, but what are you going to do? I don't even listen to the riff-raff drivel anymore, I just call CQ a lot and usually find someone resonably intelligent to talk to.
KG4YBH

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »

CB lids haven't destroyed the ham bands!  If anything is destroying the ham bands it's the dumbing down of the exams and eliminating the normal interaction of hams and a potential ham.

The real lids are those guys, mostly on 80M phone, who use profanity, are ignorant and intolerant to anyone else except their little clique.  Those are the lids.  They are mostly old farts who have been licensed for decades.  These are the ones who are ruining the bands. 

I have to be very careful when tuning around when my grand-kids are present because of these lids.  My grand-kids are never offended when they hear "good buddy," "bring it back" and the rest of the CB jargon.

Most CB'rs and former CB'rs who get into ham radio have to go through a period where they un-learn some of their lingo and learn the typical ham procedure.  All do eventually and in the meantime it's prudent that we "old farts" show some consideration and understanding.

If you have any doubt about this, try to recall when you first got on the air and the stupid things you said or did.  Correcting them on the air isn't necessary or a good idea.  Leave them alone and they will learn for themselves.  I have watched this process for years.

Al - K8AXW

So in one sentence you claim it is the stupid people like me who ruined the ham bands because I took the only test available to me. Then you tell everyone that it is the old farts that have been licensed for decades that are ruining the ham bands. I guess it is just everyone except you that is destroying YOUR HOBBY.
HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »

I was listening to a phone and traffic net on 80 meters and when each member checked in, a bunch of guys all jumped in and said hi to each member.
When I threw out my call sign, the band went silent.
I started pounding my D-104 mic against the desk, I thought it wasn't working.
So I went back sarcastically and said - don't all say hi at once!
Two guys then said HI out of 2 dozen.....
It just goes to show about how ignorant those old guys are on 80 meters.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »

Re: reply #48

Maybe they went silent after they heard your CALL and were waiting for a severe weather warning report.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »

HURRICAINE said:  "I started pounding my D-104 mic against the desk, I thought it wasn't working."

Hmmm,  I don't know what you do for a living, but considering your trouble-shooting methods, I can bet that you're not on the bomb squad; at least not for very long.

de Ray
W7ASA ..._  ._
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:19:38 PM by W7ASA » Logged
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »

No, but bad grammar is taking its toll on this thread…  Grin

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »

YBH:  Let me spell it out for you since you seem to be having trouble with what I'm saying. 

We, or at least I am speaking about two subjects or two problems.  The first one is the quality of hams are now on the air.  They don't know nuttin about nuttin!  (That's for you 4OI  Grin )  This is verified by some of the questions and comments you read here on eHam.  I don't consider these guy "lids."  Just uneducated in electronics and ham radio in general compared to the hams of yesteryear.  They're very difficult to talk to because of their limited interest in the hobby.

The second part of my comments does address the "lid" subject.  These are the guys who are deliberately  ill mannered, use profanity and are simply ignorant to others.  They also include those who use poor operating practices because of the inflated feeling about themselves.  Of course this "lid" list goes on and on.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear on my initial comments.  I hope this clears it up for you.

Al - K8AXW

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 07:16:42 AM »

I was listening to a phone and traffic net on 80 meters and when each member checked in, a bunch of guys all jumped in and said hi to each member.
When I threw out my call sign, the band went silent.
I started pounding my D-104 mic against the desk, I thought it wasn't working.
So I went back sarcastically and said - don't all say hi at once!
Two guys then said HI out of 2 dozen.....
It just goes to show about how ignorant those old guys are on 80 meters.
Ignorance on the part of old guys?  No.  It is your naivete in expecting to walk into a regular gathering and expect to be greeted by one and all as a long lost friend when they have never met you!

Want to make friends there?  Don't be a 'one time party crasher'.  Start showing up on a regular basis, be cheerful but not intrusive; contribute to discussions with out monopolizing.

Within a few days to a few weeks you will be known and accepted within the group.

It's not that 75m is hostile to 'outsiders'.  It's that 75m is a regional band, where folks meet like they do at the local diner to chat with friends.  You don't slide into a booth at the diner with people you don't know and expect to be included without introductions and developing relationships.  b.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »

QAA: 
Ignorance on the part of old guys?  No.  It is your naivete in expecting to walk into a regular gathering and expect to be greeted by one and all as a long lost friend when they have never met you!

I feel you are partially correct here.  At one time it was the norm to be able to check into a group and be welcomed.  This was ham radio in it's purest form. If you wanted to get into a round table you were usually welcome. 

However, good operating practice is to try to join a group only when you feel that you have something to contribute to the conversation.  To do otherwise you run the risk of being considered an intruder.  And rightfully so.  This also applies to social gatherings of any kind.

This situation has been exacerbated in recent years by the prejudice of many toward "no-coders,"  those that are perceived not to have run the FCC gauntlet and even with callsigns that are not 1X2 or 1X3. 

Want to make friends there?  Don't be a 'one time party crasher'.  Start showing up on a regular basis, be cheerful but not intrusive; contribute to discussions with out monopolizing.

This has a great deal of truth and is good advice, however, most of the time "intruders" don't even get that far!  They are told in no uncertain terms to leave.... or are simply ignored. Or if you happen to be on "their" frequency you can expect to be told to "get the hell off" the frequency or quite often they will tune up and operate on top of you.

It is also reasonable to expect a certain group to gather as old friends and their group simply don't want anyone else in it. In which case a simple "this is a private gathering OM" would take care of it without anyone having their feathers ruffled.  The old W2OY response, "Go away, I don't talk to lids, kids, space cadets or K8's just isn't ham radio.  This is a variant of what you get when you try to get into one of these "old fart round-tables."

Bottom line, it isn't what it used to be and the way it's going isn't good.

Al - K8AXW
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »

OK. tell you what.  No calls but this is the second time I have heard someone bitch about "handles"  years ago....let's say 40 or so, we all said the handle is.....way before CB horse hockey came into being.  So go ahead and puke.  What makes ME want to puke is  "the personal here is"  or you're making a 20 here.  Get your shit straight before you start expounding your ignorance.
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »

sort version.....sure as HELL hasn't helped.
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »

It should be, "HAVE CB lids destroyed the ham bands?" At least use proper English when berating other people.

The answer is NO. It was the FCC, licensing restructuring and EMCOMM that made amateur radio unattractive to normal people.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 06:04:34 AM »

Is there any Scientific Evidence out there that defines NORMAL people?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »

JKA:  Yes!  I am proof positive that I am normal!  I have papers from my psychiatrist that proves it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: