Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAS CB LIDS DESTROYED THE HAM BANDS?  (Read 20210 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:50:53 AM »

Quote from: N3IG on Today at 05:19:16 AM
Quote from: ZENKI on December 28, 2013, 09:45:08 PM
ZENKI WROTE:
In many countries they have qualification  based ham licence applications. I would rather see more engineers and marine CW operators get fathered into
the ham service than the current CB lids that seem to want to ruin ham radio.

N3IG WROTE:
     If not for CB the ham bands would be almost dead by now. That is where I got my interest peaked and like most CBers in the last 30 years had to pass a code test to get my license. CB peaked in the late 70s to early 80s and code did not go away until 2007 which means the CB lids you refer to had to learn code to get thier ticket. How many people have told you they like to talk on CB radio have you elmered into getting a ham license?  I would dare say with your prejudice none, that sir is ruining ham radio.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:45:54 AM »

Yep

Here an other old CB lid with morse code.
But I know a lot of hams coming from CB, some are good some are less good.
I do not think that CB or CW has anything to do with being a good ham, it depends more on the person.

73 Jos
S51M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »

It's only a Hobby. There's nothing wrong with CB guys which came to us. In fact, for phone or digimode QSO you dont need very much knowledge, experience come with activity. Instead, try to learn CW and search there for QSO with some content, not only short "TU 5NN".

73 DE S51M, Bruno
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:43:23 AM »

We do hear more of the type of slang and behavior on the ham bands that was/is more common on CB.
But I don't think we can pin the blame on CB or hams who started there. The world and society as a whole is simply deteriorating more and more as time progresses. Just look at the news. Look at the language and behavior on prime-time TV and movies which has gradually crept in in the past few decades. Look at what kids are doing now compared to several decades ago.

I have some other opinions about why the ham bands are the way they are, which I won't go into because they inevitable start never-ending arguments.

The reality is, we are not likely going to change it. Instead of sitting and stewing over behavior that we don't approve of, spin the VFO or band switch and get out of there.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »

Question: How the hell does anyone DESTROY a HAM BAND? Unless Congress can get it's act together and pass some legislation that will change the Law of physics there will always be a range (band) of frequencies available and certain folks (Hams) are LEGALLY allowed to use them. I fail to understand how a CB lid, back hoe operator, retired pimp or anybody else is going to destroy a range of frequencies.

As of last night I was surfing the Ham Bands, and heard QRPers, contesters, CW,AM,SSB,RITTY ,Digital modes operators and yes a few scattered lids of various backgrounds other than ex CBers, everyone appeared to have their own little piece of real estate on the BAND to do their thing and I didn't see any evidence of Band destruction on 80,40,30,20,17,15, meters anyway.

It appears that the Founding Fathers of this Topic are still suffering a hang over from NYE.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »

I don`t think anyone is destroying our bands. Amateur Radio is all about promoting good will to everyone. As they say on channel 19,"Can`t we all just get along?"
PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

Question: How the hell does anyone DESTROY a HAM BAND?

It is the way you read it. You can't destroy a band but you can destroy the pleasure of  the(former)  users.

And I can assure you that that is what happened over the years fin the experience  a lot of old timers.

W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »

CB has really nothing to do with the ham bands, for one, it is a completely different service and there is actually a good bit of courtesy and organization going on down there in and around all the foolishness..... Much like the Ham bands.....

Fortunately, the Radio Misfits tend to congregate around a few known frequencies and really don't get too far away to bother people for the most part.

What has hurt the Ham bands is the Dumming Down of the testing requirements which has led to a lack of pride in accomplishment to obtain the license in the first place and the constant barrage of contesting EVERY WEEKEND that virtually makes the ham bands useless for anything but Contesting.

It's a different world from the 60's and before when there was a little pride in the Hobby !!!!

N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:19:34 PM »

I don't know.  It's hard to say.  I know of alot of new Hams who came up from the CB ranks lately.  These OPS are good decisplined Hams always involved in perfecting the art of a radio op,ing.   I came from there, 35 years ago.  I operate on both services.
I will say that I hear bad, (nasty) operating on the HF bands by OPS that have been licensed for a long time!
Go figure.
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »

AND, you have to remember ONE MORE THING!
Just like every other aspect of life.  There is a degradation of civillation.  It does not matter if you are in traffic trying to make a turn,  in line at the local fast food place, or at work with you co-workers.  People are inconsiderate, ignorant, and rude.

This is a reflection of the ME  attitude.  The hell with everybody else.  Its sad but true.
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »

W5GNB -
 Couldn't agree more about the incessant contests. It used to be that there were a lot fewer of them and they meant a lot more. It is also irritating that people who work during the week have to put up with this when they have a chance to operate on the weekends. Also, who the hell invented these insipid state QSO parties? And some of the special events stations? One of the "special" events stations was some guy who monopolized a frequency so that they could commemorate the 50th anniversary of the publication of some book by Ayn Rand! Are you kidding me? As the Italians say - BASTA! Enough!
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Contests
4. Complaining about contests
 Wink

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »

No, CB'ers aren't the reason for the prominence of bad actors on the bands these days.

Beyond the general decline in manners (and less fear of the FCC), the main reason there are so many idiots is that there are three (3) times as many licensed hams as thirty years ago.

Imagine that we had two thirds fewer hams as in 1980 and there would be a lot fewer idiots on the bands.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

Imagine that we had two thirds fewer hams as in 1980 and there would be a lot fewer idiots on the bands.

They would be fewer in number, but the 10% rule would still apply.   Grin

Language seems to deteriorate over time.  I cringe every time I hear a local news reporter offer to explain "what went down" at a crime scene.  I cringe as well at some of the language and behavior on the ham bands, but I don't attribute it to the folks who graduated from the CB ranks and I try not to let the ignorance of others affect my behavior.  I may be well on my way towards becoming a codger but I am trying to be a tolerant OM.

Bob

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »

One of the "special" events stations was some guy who monopolized a frequency so that they could commemorate the 50th anniversary of the publication of some book by Ayn Rand! Are you kidding me?

And so what do you talk about on the air? How to cure the world of disease and starvation? How to prevent homelessness? How to solve global warming? How to bring peace to the Middle East?

I am glad you have such important things to talk about on the air!

So the guy parked himself on a single frequency to commemorate a book... so what? How EXACTLY did one guy on one frequency prevent YOU from getting on the air?

Beyond the general decline in manners (and less fear of the FCC), the main reason there are so many idiots is that there are three (3) times as many licensed hams as thirty years ago.

Where are you getting your statistics? Can you quote your source or are you just pulling numbers out of thin air? According to the 1981 Amateur Radio Callbook, there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 433,000 licensed amateurs in the United States. Multiply that by 3 and you get 1,299,000. According to the ah0a.org website, there were 717,201 licensed amateurs as of 12/13/2013. You are off by almost 580,000! I am glad you're not my accountant!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: