Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Contesting is Slick!  (Read 3448 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2014, 08:31:51 PM »

Met a QRP contester who was very successful. He told me his secret. After failing miserably for years at QRO contesting he came up with a solution and now does very well in the QRP field events and has even won a few using this approach.

This gentleman has a  Hy-Gain TH7 at his home and whenever there is a QRP Field contest he runs the coax from his shack to a little table set up in his yard (the field) and with his K3/10 he operates the QRP Field Contests. Pretty Slick. What creativity!

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:16 AM »

I can only interpret your post as a tongue and cheek Tongue comment, if so maybe this gentleman will also get creative and discover the other big SECRET of QRP ops "propagation" for contesting, DX or anything else. Wink
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »

QRP is 5 watts or less. I don't think it means you have to use a poor antenna if you have a really good one available to you. While the TH-7 is far from easily portable... it's a great home antenna. I use my HF dipole most of the time when I'm at home when operating QRP. When I operate from the back yard (or portable) I'll just toss a wire into the trees. I use the best antenna available to me depending on where I operate from.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »

I can only interpret your post as a tongue and cheek Tongue comment
I believe the gentleman from NC may be making attempts at sarcasm, since he apparently believes that "Minimalist radio is the True Spirit of QRP".  He appears to hold the K3 in the same disdain he holds the KX3...and a TH7 certainly isn't a "minimalist" antenna either! 

N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »

This is a true story. If your in the qrp grapevine there is talk of this individual but the powers that be are silent on the matter for unknown reasons. Perhaps they do the same or perhaps they don't want to make an issue of it. Perhaps they are concerned of his reputation but WE know! Unfortunate since the many do travel to the field driving couple of hours and spending the time setting up antennas and erecting tents for the two day event and then have an individual undermine everyone by doing this.

I can only interpret your post as a tongue and cheek Tongue comment, if so maybe this gentleman will also get creative and discover the other big SECRET of QRP ops "propagation" for contesting, DX or anything else. Wink
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:29:10 AM by N4DSP » Logged
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:16:49 AM »

It would be nice to know the contest - for some contests, that certainly isn't a rules violations, for others it would be.  Not much info to go on here to judge...

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »

Of course the solution is to require full disclosure of all equipment used, and handicap all entries for gain and selectivity on transmit and receive paths, including antennas, preamps, etc. 

A signed, notarized statement attested to by another licensed ham including block diagrams and photos of the station and antennas used would be required.

People cheat in QRP contests just as they do in other aspects of life.  "The measure of a man's character is what he does when nobody is watching".
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »

If you like operating just for the sake of doing it, the QRP contests are a lot of fun.  We can argue minimal antennas and the true spirit of QRP.  But just getting in a contest where sometimes we use straight keys, sometimes minimal antennas, sometimes milliwatts.  Its all a lot of fun.

No, I have never won an event.  But my operating skills are better than ever.

72, JP, K8AG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: